• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2008-2009 NBA Season Thread (Pistons trade for Allen Iverson)

Rate this topic

And now it's official that Rip has signed a 3-year extension!! YES!

This IMO has been a great day for the Detroit Pistons!!

EDIT: Sorry that is a 3 year extension, not a 2 year!

Edited by rage

I agree on treating Chauncey like gold when he returns. He was the man.

As for King James....1) I posted that link already...now I know you don't read anything I write :lol: . 2) It is a fascinating article. I really think it's still a long shot, but wow Joe D is really shooting for the stars, and I love it. If LeBron isn't playing in NY, or CLE in 2 years it will be with us. Imagine the PR skills the Stones could use with him: Bring the King to the Palace! etc, etc.

hmmm.....Prince of the Palace or King of the Palace?????? :lol: I am with ya on that!!

Wow when I saw this my jaw literally dropped. I'm still in shock.

First of all I cannot stand Iverson. Honestly he would have to be one of my most hated players in the league. But it seems he's wanted to be in Detroit a few times now so he'll be hungry and there is NO doubt we needed a star player. How many disappointing playoff exits can you have in a row before Dumars realises we needed star power? Billups was once my favourite player and while I still like him, I'm not really fussed about letting him go. After this year he's still got 2 years left on his deal so it was a good move to trade him and his contract.

The man reasons they did this deal:

1. Iverson is a pretty darn good player, an insane scorer and for once we'll have a player the opposition legitimately fear.

2. Iverson's contract expires at years end, so they basically moved Billups and McDyess to free up $12million or so. At seasons end they either re-sign Iverson for a significantly smaller amount or go after another star player.

3. More time for Stuckey to develop. Although hopefully AI doesn't get in his way now, but even if he does, it's only for 1 season whereas Billups would've been in his way for 2 more after this year.

I love McDyess' heart, he's a warrior, but honestly I've been wanting him gone for ages now. Amir Johnson is the future! Overall I'm actually quite satisfied at this trade, and that's saying something because in the process we picked up one of my most hated players.

Iverson

New No. 3?

Rodney Stuckey knows new Piston Allen Iverson likely will want to keep jersey No. 3, which Stuckey currently wears.

"We're going to have to talk about it, I guess," said Stuckey, who might look for some form of, uh, compensation from Iverson for giving him his jersey.

"Like I said, we'll talk about it."

Stuckey said the only other jersey number he remembers wearing was No. 32, but that's being worn by Richard Hamilton.

"I want to do a single number, so I'll probably do something like 9 or something," he said.

Hossa >>>>> Iverson.

Can we dump this guy already? :rolleyes:

I LOVE this trade. Joe D just made the Pistons better this season and opened up a world of potential for the future. For starters, this Pistons team with Chauncey Billups is exactly what the Pistons have been the past three seasons - a very good, but not elite team. I am a huge Billups fan (and always will be), but the Pistons aren't better than the Celtics or Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference with Chauncey here. It's rather obvious from the last couple of playoffs that Chauncey has lost a step. The emergence of Stuckey probably made it easier for Joe D to pull the trigger on trading Chauncey too.

If we are talking solely in terms of ability, Allen Iverson for Chauncey Billups is a straight up steal. Iverson is an elite scorer in the NBA - something the Pistons have lacked for years. If AI stays healthy, the Pistons are a better playoff team and have a fighting chance of getting back to the Finals with AI. Say what you want about AI being "selfish", but the guy plays all-out every single game he steps on the court. He has the motivation to win a championship and he is surrounded by a coach and teammates where any potential character issues are moot. For those of you bringing up the "practice issue", I have to wonder why you have a problem with that coming from AI, but you are OK with this current core of Pistons and their complacent act for the past three years? AI does leave it all on the floor, something this group of Pistons could use a refresher lesson with. I know I like the Pistons chances against the Celtics in the playoffs much better with a player like AI on the team.

For the future, this is also a terrific deal. AI is a free agent next summer, and so is Rasheed. Chauncey's lengthy contract is gone now too. Yes, I have read about the LeBron rumors, but that seems more like a fantasy at this point. I suppose taking a run at Bosh or D-Wade isn't all that bad of a consolation prize. Regardless, Joe D made the Pistons better this season and for future years as well. The Pistons are a very good basketball team with Mr. Big Shot, but have the real potential to win a championship with Allen Iverson.

I have to admit, this adds a whole new level of excitement for me regarding the Pistons this season. They needed a change, some fresh blood, and this is it. Joe D lived up to his promises as usual. I wish the best of luck to Chauncey in Denver. Chauncey is a class act, a champion, and a Piston no matter what. Thanks for the memories Mr. Big Shot.

Edited by GoWings1905

I liked the press conference today.

Iverson: (some clichespeak about being willing to sacrifice whatever he needed to sacrifice for the team to win a championship)

Reporter (smart-alecky): Even practice?

Iverson: PRACTICE?! :lol:

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings

Well great start of the new era. :rolleyes:

Price is actually playing quite well, too bad he's the only one. Johnson is doing well too for his limited minutes but we sorely lack a big body who can get 10 rebounds a game. Kwame Brown is truly horrible and I want him gone already.

Well great start of the new era. :rolleyes:

Price is actually playing quite well, too bad he's the only one. Johnson is doing well too for his limited minutes but we sorely lack a big body who can get 10 rebounds a game. Kwame Brown is truly horrible and I want him gone already.

I dunno, Tay was like 4-15 shooting against the Nets the other night. But I like Curry's idea of having him out there leading the reserve unit. I don't think there's a bench player in the league that can guard him.

Was glad to see there was a roaring ovation for Iverson. Detroit fans are good like that. Same as with Sheed, if AI comes in and plays his ass off like he does, Pistons fans appreciate that more than any other fans in the league. Players can come to Detroit with a clean slate.

I dunno, Tay was like 4-15 shooting against the Nets the other night. But I like Curry's idea of having him out there leading the reserve unit. I don't think there's a bench player in the league that can guard him.

Was glad to see there was a roaring ovation for Iverson. Detroit fans are good like that. Same as with Sheed, if AI comes in and plays his ass off like he does, Pistons fans appreciate that more than any other fans in the league. Players can come to Detroit with a clean slate.

It will take some time to adjust when you lose your starting PG for the last half of decade. From watching the Stones this year I also think we need Dice back. I'm fairly confident he will be back, but I read today Boston is interested, and that concerns me. From watching so far I like what A.I. brings. When he gets used to everything there will be games when he takes total control over the game, and we haven't seen that in a long, long time.

'Dyess will be back with the Pistons. There's only one team he wants to play for and that's the Pistons. Good thing too because Kwame Brown blows off the bench.

He's having a decent game today but yeah, he's pretty much awful.

And I've been keeping track of Darko's progress and wow, he's playing horrible. We ruined him I guess. I wonder if he was drafted by another team and got court time and confidence early would we have been a different player to the one we now see? Because it's hard to believe a guy that was considered so talented could suck so badly. He's gone from the starting line-up to receiving about 12 minutes per game, this on a deplorable Memphis team. Without having the stats at my disposal I’d say he’s averaging about 4 points in 4 rebounds, and they're on the decline too. He started playing well with Orlando but had to ruin that by wanting out. Now it looks like he’ll have his 4th team next season, that or head back home.

I really, really like Aaron Afflalo. :thumbup: Outstanding performance today.

Me too. Afflalo plays tough defense and he has really improved his jumper from last season. That was one (of the few) draft classes recently that actually worked out for the Pistons.

Oh, and Allen Iverson is just incredible. I knew it before, but man I have a whole new appreciation for AI watching him on a nightly basis. He took over in the third quarter last night and got the Pistons back in the game. We haven't had a player like that since Grant Hill.

AUBURN HILLS -- The Detroit Pistons were defeated 106-80 by a bad Minnesota Timberwolves team Sunday, but not everything was bad for Detroit.

They received a bit of good news from Antonio McDyess, who informed the Pistons that, as expected, he will re-sign with them next month.

McDyess was part of the four-player trade with Denver earlier this month that brought Allen Iverson to Detroit.

"We looked at two or three different scenarios besides Detroit," McDyess' agent, Andy Miller, said in a phone interview Sunday night. "Antonio felt he started something in Detroit, and felt an obligation to his teammates, the fans and the organization, to finish it."

Great news. :)

Things are getting ugly for the Pistons. I'm already counting down the days until Iverson is gone. Just got to keep thinking about the massive amount of $$$ we'll have to spend at seasons end.

Stuckey is playing well though, that's one positive.