Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

2008-2009 NBA Season Thread (Pistons trade for Allen Iverson)

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 mannysBETTER3434

mannysBETTER3434

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (timothy1997 @ June 25, 2009 - 04:06AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sometimes I hate when I am right.

Shaq traded

This is it for cleveland. If they cant win next year, they wont. I am not sure what Phoenix is looking at with this trade. Ben Wallace is close to retiring, if not already. Maybe it was just to get shaq's contract off the books so they can resign Amare.

The Suns have a lot of financial problems. Trading Shaq, and getting Wallace's expiring contract after the season, and another player they could buy out saves lots of cash. I heard some guy on ESPN say last night they may even trade Amare to save more money, and plus he's a UFA so instead of watching him walk next summer they could get something for him.

Steve Kerr really blew that team up. They were less then a minute away from the finals only 2 years ago.

#102 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:29 PM

Pfft Shaq, he doesn't scare me at all these days.

I really want the Pistons to draft Australian PG Patrick Mills, electric young talent. Although in saying that it probably won't happen because he probably doesn't fit the "Pistons DNR". rolleyes.gif I guess that's why we end up drafting hacks every draft.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#103 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:56 PM

So, did we draft anyone good?

We traded away our 44th or something pick.

We've loaded up on forwards.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#104 mannysBETTER3434

mannysBETTER3434

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (Aussie_Wing @ June 25, 2009 - 09:56PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, did we draft anyone good?

We traded away our 44th or something pick.

We've loaded up on forwards.

Loading up on forwards tells me there is something bigger happening behind the scenes, and could happen later this summer....

#105 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:47 AM

Detroit Pistons drafted a swede, first swede ever to be drafted to the NBA, Jonas Jerebko, in the 2nd round i'm reading now... interesting smile.gif

#106 timothy1997

timothy1997

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE (mindfly @ June 26, 2009 - 04:47AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Detroit Pistons drafted a swede, first swede ever to be drafted to the NBA, Jonas Jerebko, in the 2nd round i'm reading now... interesting smile.gif

took a page out of the wings draft approach. Come on Pistons. Let's corner the market and have a team loaded with Swedes. yowza.gif

#107 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,487 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:09 PM

I am quite pleased with the Pistons draft selections. Daye has a ton of potential if he bulks up (read a comparision earlier to Rashard Lewis), although I am not sure we need another Tayshaun Prince so maybe Joe D. will hopefully trade the original this summer. The Pistons addressed their frontcourt in the draft which they absolutely had to do. I really wanted Teague at 15, but Daye plays a position of need so I understand the choice. Summers is a great pick in the second round. I am glad Budinger got traded away at 44, but I would have rather just taken Danny Green with the pick.

Now comes the real moment of truth for Joe D. and the Pistons. Free agency is going to be busy for this team. I get no impression from Dumars that he is saving the cap space money for next summer. Get ready for Carlos Boozer in red, white, and blue.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#108 mannysBETTER3434

mannysBETTER3434

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (GoWings1905 @ June 26, 2009 - 11:09AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am quite pleased with the Pistons draft selections. Daye has a ton of potential if he bulks up (read a comparision earlier to Rashard Lewis), although I am not sure we need another Tayshaun Prince so maybe Joe D. will hopefully trade the original this summer. The Pistons addressed their frontcourt in the draft which they absolutely had to do. I really wanted Teague at 15, but Daye plays a position of need so I understand the choice. Summers is a great pick in the second round. I am glad Budinger got traded away at 44, but I would have rather just taken Danny Green with the pick.

Now comes the real moment of truth for Joe D. and the Pistons. Free agency is going to be busy for this team. I get no impression from Dumars that he is saving the cap space money for next summer. Get ready for Carlos Boozer in red, white, and blue.

The more I think about it the more I believe Joe D needs to spend most that money this summer. It sucks the pool isn't really deep for UFA's this off season, but the Pistons are not the only team slashing dollars left and right. If Joe D banked all this cash, and waited it could blow up in his face. I read someplace by next summer there will be 10-15 teams with enough money to get in a bidding war for all the studs available...not everyone will be a winner if that is the case.

#109 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE (mannysBETTER3434 @ June 27, 2009 - 12:28AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The more I think about it the more I believe Joe D needs to spend most that money this summer. It sucks the pool isn't really deep for UFA's this off season, but the Pistons are not the only team slashing dollars left and right. If Joe D banked all this cash, and waited it could blow up in his face. I read someplace by next summer there will be 10-15 teams with enough money to get in a bidding war for all the studs available...not everyone will be a winner if that is the case.

Exactly - this is why, to me, the Ray Allen deal didn't make any sense. If the Pistons trade for that kind of cap space in summer 2010 it should be at the deadline when you'll have a better idea of who's available and who's bidding. My bet is that at least a few of these superstar free agents will sign with their original teams, since they can bend the cap to do so and get more money. The worst thing that could happen is to blow things up in anticipation of 2010 and then be left out in the cold.....it would set you back two or three years.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users