• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
T.Low

Gordie Howe Hat Trick

Rate this topic

last year there was a good thread on the various types of Hat Tricks attributed to players that had those typical kinds of games. Like, of course, the Gordie Howe Hat Trick; a goal, an assist, and a fight.

If there were to be a Marian Hossa Hat Trick, I think it would be a goal, an assist, and a monster slapshot shoot out winner:

http://redwings.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?hlg=20082009,2,115

Oh, and enjoy Kronners little toe drag (as best I can see on my laptop) in the last minute of play.

Or would it be two goals and an assist?

Edited by T.Low

last year there was a good thread on the various types of Hat Tricks attributed to players that had those typical kinds of games. Like, of course, the Gordie Howe Hat Trick; a goal, an assist, and a fight.

Strange they called it that since Gordie Howe himself only had one such occurrence in his career. Maybe a goal, assist and elbowing major might've been more appropriate. :P

Strange they called it that since Gordie Howe himself only had one such occurrence in his career. Maybe a goal, assist and elbowing major might've been more appropriate. :P

I read recently that it is thought that Iginla and Shannahan have both passed Rick Tochet for the most GHHTs. Not specifically known which one has more.

I thought Shanny had the most career GHHTs... anyways, is this thread going anywhere or are you just "thinking out loud"???

The Hockey News has Shanahan unofficialy as the leader with 9.

Gordie actually had two, it turns out (though until recently it was thought he only had one).

Back in those days, not getting a fighting major didn't mean you didn't have a fight. Howe woulda had a lot more otherwise.

Who will be the next wing to record one?

McCarty could do it this year if a puck bounces in off his leg or something. More likely though is that we have to wait for either Abdelkader or Ericsson to come up and complete a legit one. I'm not sure what Abby's goals have looked like this year but he sure has a lot of them for a rookie this early into the season so hopefully he keeps that up. Landon Wilson is racking up the PIM's and goals in GR too but he's into his 30's now and far from a rookie. If he keeps the pace up maybe the Wings should call him up for a look to see if he can produce anything at the NHL level.

The "Gordie Howe hat trick" is complete bulls***, and should not be perpetuated any further. Here's a citation (with specifics) that should end that bulls*** for all time, but I doubt it will.

Howe had a "Gordie Howe hat trick" -- a goal, an assist and a fighting major in the same game -- once in his career. It happened Dec. 22, 1955, in Detroit's 3-2 victory against the Bruins at Boston Garden. Howe assisted on Real Chevrefils' power-play goal at 3:30 of the first period and tied the game at 2-2 with a goal at 18:19 of the second against Hall of Famer Terry Sawchuk. The fight came against another Hall of Famer, Boston defenseman Leo Boivin, at 4:37 of the first period.

Author: John Kreiser | NHL.com Columnist

Howe was known for being a master of "elbowing" in the struggles in the corners, but was not a "fighter." I distinctly remember reading that Howe had said, "Scoring hurts them more."

The "Gordie Howe hat trick" is complete bulls***, and should not be perpetuated any further. Here's a citation (with specifics) that should end that bulls*** for all time, but I doubt it will.

Howe had a "Gordie Howe hat trick" -- a goal, an assist and a fighting major in the same game -- once in his career. It happened Dec. 22, 1955, in Detroit's 3-2 victory against the Bruins at Boston Garden. Howe assisted on Real Chevrefils' power-play goal at 3:30 of the first period and tied the game at 2-2 with a goal at 18:19 of the second against Hall of Famer Terry Sawchuk. The fight came against another Hall of Famer, Boston defenseman Leo Boivin, at 4:37 of the first period.

Author: John Kreiser | NHL.com Columnist

Howe was known for being a master of "elbowing" in the struggles in the corners, but was not a "fighter." I distinctly remember reading that Howe had said, "Scoring hurts them more."

Howe had at least 22 fights and 2 Gordie Howe Hat Tricks and they were on October 10, 1953 and March 21, 1954 -- and I think my source is better than yours:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2008/10/the...gordie_how.html

EDIT: link above as well!

We could find no evidence of any fights during his time in the World Hockey Association. There was one major penalty on record during a brawl on Nov. 1, 1976, that involved his son Marty, but that may have been a third-man-in call as Gordie threw the player off his son.

Has anyone else heard about this one? From what I hear, someone was pummeling Marty while he was down and Gordie skated behind, reached over the guys head, stuck two fingers in his nostrils and yanked him off his son by the nose. Urban legend?

Edited by egroen

Dear Egrogen:

Yes, your source is much more explanatory and exact than mine. I'm sure any reader of this topic will appreciate your research and the addition of your citation.

However, would you agree with me that with a mere two instances, the nomenclature of "Gordie Howe hat trick" is a misnomer?

By the way, my saying that Howe was not a "fighter," didn't mean that he didn't fight, it just meant that he wasn't an "enforcer."

One final note from your citation: Having seen and remembered the fight with Lou Fontinato, I had always believed that Howe had won most of his fights, but your citation seems to indicate otherwise.

Here's hoping that the Wings' finesse style continues to take prominence over fighting; fighting is necessary at times, but the sport is hockey, not "combat!"

Dear Egrogen:

Yes, your source is much more explanatory and exact than mine. I'm sure any reader of this topic will appreciate your research and the addition of your citation.

However, would you agree with me that with a mere two instances, the nomenclature of "Gordie Howe hat trick" is a misnomer?

By the way, my saying that Howe was not a "fighter," didn't mean that he didn't fight, it just meant that he wasn't an "enforcer."

One final note from your citation: Having seen and remembered the fight with Lou Fontinato, I had always believed that Howe had won most of his fights, but your citation seems to indicate otherwise.

Here's hoping that the Wings' finesse style continues to take prominence over fighting; fighting is necessary at times, but the sport is hockey, not "combat!"

I believe the entire premise of the "Gordie Howe Hat Trick" was to signify that he was the biggest most skilled badass to lace up the skates and by getting a goal assist and a fight that means you have skills and the badass nature of Gordie.

McCarty could do it this year if a puck bounces in off his leg or something. More likely though is that we have to wait for either Abdelkader or Ericsson to come up and complete a legit one. I'm not sure what Abby's goals have looked like this year but he sure has a lot of them for a rookie this early into the season so hopefully he keeps that up. Landon Wilson is racking up the PIM's and goals in GR too but he's into his 30's now and far from a rookie. If he keeps the pace up maybe the Wings should call him up for a look to see if he can produce anything at the NHL level.

McCarty may not score 1 goal and 1 assist all year, let alone in a single game. :P

Edited by toby91_ca

I believe the entire premise of the "Gordie Howe Hat Trick" was to signify that he was the biggest most skilled badass to lace up the skates and by getting a goal assist and a fight that means you have skills and the badass nature of Gordie.

Yes, I think it is as simple as that. Gordie was a skilled (extremely skilled) player who was not afraid to rough it up - probably who we think of as "the original power forward". I think it is an honor to Howe to have it named after him, and it is an honor to any hockey player to earn one; yes, even Crosby.

I'd agree in that yes, he only had two... but I would argue 'till I am breathless against anyone who really thought the name should be changed. It fits the bill and the "Brendan Shanahan Hat Trick" does not have the same allure to it. :)

Agreed. Sort of like Robinson, he proved he could go toe-to-toe with anyone in the league and so as a result of that, he did not have to "prove" himself too often. He was also so valuable to the team that long trips to the penalty box were counter-productive.

I find it is always a bit disappointing to go and look at someone's actual fight history -- Probert and Kocur have a ton of losses, when they looked completely unbeatable to me at times. I think ultimately, with only 30 second bouts at most, on skates, even the best fighter is only going to win 60-70% of the time when there is an actual winner - and the majority of them will be draws.