• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SetecX

Defense of "Hockeytown"

Rate this topic

Man, this is a long period of downtime between games. I checked my inbox and read the NHL newsletter and came across an interesting link to a blog about the defense of the "Hockeytown" title. Check it out here http://fans.nhl.com/members/jleWings/boards/23166

I have to say I agree with what this guy says. The case is written very well and makes sure to not ignore other fans perspectives. Don't know if anyone else had a chance to check it out, but if you haven't give it a go. It's a good read.

Any opinions on this whole "Hockeytown" business?

Edited by SetecX

Seriously, I am blown away. That is the most fact filled piece of literary ownage I have seen in quite some time. For anyone that knows haters/doubters, please refer them to this blog post. It is now like the bible for defending Hockeytown lore. GOOOO WINGS!

I just skimmed it, but given the length I have little doubt that there is probably some pro-bias towards Detroit, understandably so, but ripe with good details and facts without bias I am assuming.

I just try to keep with the thought that Detroit is definitely one of the best hockey cities out there, but "Hockeytown" is just a slogan, nothing more or less when people or fans of other teams try to question whether Detroit is "Hockeytown" or the best hockey city or one of the better cities for hockey. I'm not trying to make that sound like a slight towards Detroit or the Red Wings or "Hockeytown". Again though, the title to me is just a marketing slogan, nothing wrong with that.

Great article/blog.......but found a mistake......the Toronto Maple Lafs have 11 Stanley Cup wins, not 13........i HATE it when they say they have 13......

Edited by redmathew

Great article/blog.......but found a mistake......the Toronto Maple Lafs have 11 Stanley Cup wins, not 13........i HATE it when they say they have 13......

It's ok. The Wings will be #2 all time. Hopefully sooner than later.

If the Detroit Falcons or Cougars had won any Cups, you'd count them.

True dat

Let me tell you why Detroit doesn't deserve the title of Hockeytown.

Sunday WXYT online, the Red Wings flagship station, was broadcasting an American football game, not the Wings game.

This example wasn't the first time either.

As much as I hate to agree with Jamie Sameulsen, who admitedly likes to cause controversy, he was right when he wrote Detroit is an American football town.

Darren McCarty, a Red Wing, stated the same thing.

Matt and many others here have posted similar thoughts.

The plain and simple fact is there is no Hockeytown, U.S.A.

Red Wings coverage during the regular season is minimal in Detroit.

Hockey coverage is minimal in the U.S.A.

Probably no other city can top Detroit - except every single Canadian village, town and city.

The Blog was indeed a great read and had a few errors, but I do not think most of the people that argue about Detroit having the title of Hockeytown USA would even notice. Wings lost to the Devils in 95 and to the Av's in 96.

Great Story, great writing, he even tried to to take both sides of the arguement. But seriously Detroit is HOCKEYTOWN, USA forever!!!! END OF STORY SI has no clue what their talking about. Hmmm lets take the title from an original six team and give it to one of the newest teams in the league

Minnesota isn't a city.

Why does that matter? Minneapolis-St. Paul area, while I've never been there, I assume is one of the better hockey cities out there, and there's probably not much arguing that Minnesota is one of the best hockey states out there.

Let me tell you why Detroit doesn't deserve the title of Hockeytown.

Sunday WXYT online, the Red Wings flagship station, was broadcasting an American football game, not the Wings game.

This example wasn't the first time either.

As much as I hate to agree with Jamie Sameulsen, who admitedly likes to cause controversy, he was right when he wrote Detroit is an American football town.

Darren McCarty, a Red Wing, stated the same thing.

Matt and many others here have posted similar thoughts.

The plain and simple fact is there is no Hockeytown, U.S.A.

Red Wings coverage during the regular season is minimal in Detroit.

Hockey coverage is minimal in the U.S.A.

Probably no other city can top Detroit - except every single Canadian village, town and city.

All true, Detroit is just a solid sports city period. There's no debating that. It's just one of those cities where professional hockey still has a decent impact, even though football might take precedence, at least right now, no matter how bad the Lions might be.

To me again, it just comes down to the name of Hockeytown being a slogan. That's it. You can make a case that Detroit is one of the best U.S. hockey cities out there, and you can easily make a case that other cities like Minneapolis is the best American hockey city out there.

Its still about attendence for me.

If we cant find 20,000 to come watch a game then its not really a hockeytown is it? And I know about the whole economy s***, but saying theres only about 12,000 people who go watch the wings out of a population in detroit alone of 916,000 is a bit...non-hockeytown-ish.

If we cant find 20,000 to come watch a game then its not really a hockeytown is it? And I know about the whole economy s***, but saying theres only about 12,000 people who go watch the wings out of a population in detroit alone of 916,000 is a bit...non-hockeytown-ish.

Attendance has never, ever been that low since the sellout streak ended. If it was, that would be truely sad.

Find me enough Detroit fans that can afford seats at this day and age.

Guess what haters, Detroit will stay hockeytown due to its fanbase, (don't ******* give me this "oh no not sellouts" bulls*** the Wings haven't gotten any worse yet they can't sell out anymore. That doesn't correlate to fans not being true Wings fans that correlates to Wings fans MOVING OUT) rich hockey history, and great teams and players.

Give me another American team that can boast all of those things in the United States and you can make me eat crow. But talk to me about the Lions and you will be arguing with flawed logic.

The Lions have fewer games during the season at home. Increased demand.

America is a FOOTBALL country, which gives the Wings a huge disadvantage to begin with.

Aux: Did you read the article? It said you can't compare America to the Country that created the sport and made it their own. That was never in question.

Edited by Doc Holiday

Attendance has never, ever been that low since the sellout streak ended. If it was, that would be truely sad.

Im pretty sure the TRUE attendence has easily been that low. Numourus times the wings have said a games sold out yet there will be the usual gaping amounts of emtpy seat.

Last season, especially when playing Columbus for the 4th time in a week, the arena looked almost half empty. So 12,000 could easily have been the true figure.