• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
j.hoop

shanahan meeting with Flyers GM holmgren

Rate this topic

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=254678

i was over at the flyers forum basking in their despair, and saw this article. what do you think?? seems none of the fans want him !

as a sidenote, i found a topic their stating they have 7 players hitting 37 mil from their cap, ouch !! one of them being upshall, who they say gets paid 1 million for every 10 points . :yowza:

I still think that Shanny is an excellent point producer, even if he is getting a bit old.

I think he'll have a new home in a short time. One team will budge, whether the Flyers or not.

I don't think Flyers fan should be complaining either. At 4-5-3 they could use some help.

Point was and is, there's more to it than sheer points over dollars = value.

My point is in this cap age no high-end *offensive* player regardless of how good a leader or solid a defenisve forward they are is worth $1 million for every 10 points (especially when they are 1 of 7 players occupying 2/3 of a teams salary).

My point is in this cap age no high-end *offensive* player regardless of how good a leader or solid a defenisve forward they are is worth $1 million for every 10 points (especially when they are 1 of 7 players occupying 2/3 of a teams salary).

Crosby scored 70 last year ($8.7).

Ovechkin might not make it past 90 this year ($9.4).

Lecavalier got $8.5 after scoring 92.

Eric Staal scores 82, then signs for $8.25M/year.

A lot of players at the high-end are making $100,000 per point.

Two edits here: one to add a couple players, and another to point out that at Upshall's 30 points last year, his $1.6m is $50,000/point. This wasn't even the point of the thread -- I didn't think I'd be questioned twenty times over, but Draper's 17 points for $1.6M ($100,000 per point) is worse.

Edited by Anomalously

you never know what random threads are going to get a bunch of responses having nothing to do with the topic. :lol: (for what it's worth, i agree that in general 100k per point isn't outrageous in general terms, at least not outrageous enough that would could put a :scared: face after it.)

but yeah, it will be surprising to me if shanny doesn't find a home sooner or later. i mean, yeah, he's not great any more, but he's still a 20-goal scorer. if he'll sign for cheap i can't see how he wouldn't help a struggling team. + leadership i assume would play some factor.

Crosby was injured and only played 53 games last year. It's early and Ovechkin is coming off a 62 goal season. He'll come out of it and net his points.

And then I edited my post to add Staal and Lecavalier, because I knew you'd take issue with the first two guys that came to mind. And then I cited Draper. And pointed out that the original poster was either exaggerating, repeating an exaggeration, or didn't know the facts. And let's add that Upshall only played a few more games than Crosby last year.

Gomez, Drury, Fedorov, Vanek, Fisher... all of these guys are making a point per $100,000. Would you not pay Fisher if you were Ottawa? Somebody else would. Better ship Vanek -- he was $100,000/point last year, not worth it.

But again, my point was that # of points != value, which I suspect you agree with, but you keep nitpicking, and I'm not sure why. You said Upshall doesn't play defense. I say Staal doesn't either.

Edited by Anomalously

And then I edited my post to add Staal and Lecavalier, because I knew you'd take issue with the first two guys that came to mind. And then I cited Draper. And pointed out that the original poster was either exaggerating, repeating an exaggeration, or didn't know the facts. And let's add that Upshall only played a few more games than Crosby last year.

Gomez, Drury, Fedorov, Vanek, Fisher... all of these guys are making a point per $100,000. Would you not pay Fisher if you were Ottawa? Somebody else would. Better ship Vanek -- he was $100,000/point last year, not worth it.

But again, my point was that # of points != value, which I suspect you agree with, but you keep nitpicking, and I'm not sure why. You said Upshall doesn't play defense. I say Staal doesn't either.

I don't mean to nitpick and I most certainly don't mean to come off wrong. I'll give you Lecavlier, but Staal has a ton of upside due to his age. His new contract was based on his scoring exceeding what it did the past season due to his maturation. Draper, isn't a high-end offensive player which is what I was referring to, which is why I shouldn't have gotten into this given that Upshall isn't either.

I get your point (and of course agree with) # of points not equaling value, but when it comes to guys like Gomes, Drury, Vanek, etc...while some GM's may pay them for their points, I wouldn't. Like you, I'm looking for more than that out of a player. Perhaps that got lost in my intial posts and the point I was trying to make.

My only question is, does Philly play at The Joe this year? I really want to see Shanny get the standing ovation he deserves.

I'm with you, I've been waiting for over two years for him to come back to the Joe, hopefully he manages a trip before he hangs them up.

...or to put it in a better perspective, do anyone feel comfortable paying some yahoo $1 million per year for getting only 10 points a year? I think there are a lot of "role players" getting ripped off if that is the case!

...and on the Lidstrom point, if he only scored 70 points in 7 years, he wouldn't be making $1 million per season either...

Edited by LeftWinger

I rather see Shanahan go to Saint Louis or Chicago than to the Flyers. Words cannot describe my hated for Philly (in all sports). I still think he would best back on his original team, the Devils.

Edited by stlwing14

Shanny would look weird in a Flyers uni... Is it just me?

nope. count me in.

Shanny doesn't fit there. he's not a goon nor a d!ck. bad match therefore.

it's like Jessica Alba playing in Adams Family or A-Team.... :(

...or to put it in a better perspective, do anyone feel comfortable paying some yahoo $1 million per year for getting only 10 points a year? I think there are a lot of "role players" getting ripped off if that is the case!

...and on the Lidstrom point, if he only scored 70 points in 7 years, he wouldn't be making $1 million per season either...

Read further.