• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

xXHOCKEYTOWNXx

Sock company steals Red Wings Logo

Rate this topic

That's pretty blatant. At least the Red Wing Shoes logo is different looking, but they have been around a lot longer, too.

Hell, Red Wing Shoes even plays it cool- they never refer to a pair of the shoes as Red Wings, they're Red Wing shoes. They don't have to, since they had the name before the Cougars were even founded.

As for this, though, the Wings better have a talk with this sock company. The key to keeping a copyright is defending it, and they have to do so.

dont know the rules but... since it does not have the wheel does it really count as stealing their image? since the red wings "image" is the wheel PLUS the wings not just the wings...? again i have no clue just thinking out loud..O.o

dont know the rules but... since it does not have the wheel does it really count as stealing their image? since the red wings "image" is the wheel PLUS the wings not just the wings...? again i have no clue just thinking out loud..O.o

My way of looking at it is this. Cut the Ford oval in half, and stick half on something. What's your first thought as to what that logo is?

I'm pretty sure it's the NHL that owns the logos.

Taken from the fine print on the NHL's website- "All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. © NHL 2008 . All Rights Reserved."

Thus, the Wings and the NHL both own the Winged Wheel, with the Red Wings taking precedence due to creation. Essentially, the NHL can use it to promote or whatever, but the Wings can do pretty much anything they choose. If there's a challenge, it'll come from Detroit.

The worst crime here is forcing people to listen to that god-awful jingle when opening that website...

i want that as a new myspace profile song. that song mac butter on the cinnamon toast.

In certain situations the color alone can be infringement, for example if a shipping company used FedEx's blue and orange colors.

This is way oversimplified but if you can prove it causes customer confusion its infringement.

There's a rule (or guideline, not sure how specific it is) that goes along with the "customer confusion" that Johnny Law brought up. A logo should be 30% different than something it's copied from... the wings without the wheel is about 30% different and, stuck to a sock, isn't confusing. Look at Western Michigan's Bronco logo compared to Denver's... it's flipped over and the colors are different. Nobody's going to confuse the WMU Broncos and the Denver Broncos.

No its not stealing the redwings logo. They are just using the little end of the wings logo and not the whole logo. For example i was watching disney yesterday and yes i said disney :D, and they used malmart instead of walmart, and walmart cant do anything about it even if its just one single letter that changed. Hope i made it clear