• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jason_0931

Is it just me

Rate this topic

It just occured to me that the past few weeks the wings are not moving the puck back and forth between the defenseman. Typically the wings use this system to help create a better transition game by getting a forward open and get the opposition to back off or shift their coverage. I don't notice them doing that. They seem to be forcing the play forward too quickly. I wonder if their puck possession time is down so far this year?

Is it just me or are others seeing the same thing? Anyone else see anything else the wings are doing that could explain the poor team defense?

Edited by jason_0931

The transition game hasn't been has stellar as it was last year, but IMO its far from the problem. They are still getting the puck forward and netting bunches of goals. The problem is the ill-timed passing some defensemen have been making. I can't remember a season where a Wings D-man has already made as many lazy or blind passes that results in an odd man rush including a 1-0 breakaway with our goaltender. Lebda, Lilja and Rafalski have all made a bunch of these and its truly kept the defense on its heals, which is not how the Red Wings play.

Couple that with zero sustained forecheck and you've got a recipe where our defensemen are getting worn out playing behind the boards all night. That being said, our D-men also need to be way more physical with the opposition. I know Kronwall and Stuart are pacing themselves so they don't wear themselves out before April, but the fact that Stuarts big hit against the Penguins was the first one from the Wings I can think of this year is unbelievable. Our D-men are being pushed off the puck in the defensive zone and that's another recipe for disaster.

Again, bottom line is this team needs to *work* harder. If they do, no team in the NHL can match their skill and the Red Wings hockey we've all come to expect will be stronger than its ever been given the amount of talent on this roster.

I've also noticed it. An example of it was Rafalski on Crosby's goal in the last game. Instead of passing the puck to Lidstrom he tried to pass it up the ice himself. It led to a giveaway and a goal. They need to try to keep it simple.

The transition game hasn't been has stellar as it was last year, but IMO its far from the problem. They are still getting the puck forward and netting bunches of goals. The problem is the ill-timed passing some defensemen have been making. I can't remember a season where a Wings D-man has already made as many lazy or blind passes that results in an odd man rush including a 1-0 breakaway with our goaltender. Lebda, Lilja and Rafalski have all made a bunch of these and its truly kept the defense on its heals, which is not how the Red Wings play.

Couple that with zero sustained forecheck and you've got a recipe where our defensemen are getting worn out playing behind the boards all night. That being said, our D-men also need to be way more physical with the opposition. I know Kronwall and Stuart are pacing themselves so they don't wear themselves out before April, but the fact that Stuarts big hit against the Penguins was the first one from the Wings I can think of this year is unbelievable. Our D-men are being pushed off the puck in the defensive zone and that's another recipe for disaster.

Again, bottom line is this team needs to *work* harder. If they do, no team in the NHL can match their skill and the Red Wings hockey we've all come to expect will be stronger than its ever been given the amount of talent on this roster.

I must respectfully disagree with you that their transition game is the problem. I think their defense stems from their puck possession. When don't move the puck east/west and wait for their opportunities they force the puck north/south. This causes turn-overs in our own zone when the opposition is forechecking. Look at most of the goals the Penguins scores from those mistakes. If Detroit moved it east/west first they might have avoided these costly mistakes. I wish NHL.com had a database that fans could log into so we can run some simple statistics, like puck posession and goals against or % of time scores on a 5 on 3, etc.

I really believe the Wings have gotten away from what makes them so good!

I must respectfully disagree with you that their transition game is the problem. I think their defense stems from their puck possession. When don't move the puck east/west and wait for their opportunities they force the puck north/south. This causes turn-overs in our own zone when the opposition is forechecking. Look at most of the goals the Penguins scores from those mistakes. If Detroit moved it east/west first they might have avoided these costly mistakes. I wish NHL.com had a database that fans could log into so we can run some simple statistics, like puck posession and goals against or % of time scores on a 5 on 3, etc.

Exactly...

They need to cycle the puck more and keep the opposition pinned down in their defensive end. Break aways and odd man rushes are exciting but north/south hockey combined with poor passing leads to many shots on goal by the opposition.

I just don't feel you can solely pin the losses or poor defensive play simply on East/West passing. I made mention of poor East/West passes in the form of Lebda, Lilja and Rafalski but those are mental mistakes that can be corrected. That causes plenty of turnovers as well as when the opposition is forechecking. The fact of the matter is though, 9 times of 10 when the opposition does create a turnover, its their work down-low and fighting for the puck harder than the Wings that's causing these goals. I hate to say it, but the Wings defenseman look pretty cream-puff'ish when it gets dirty behind the goal line thus far this season.

Now, couple that with the offense not committing to the forecheck like they did last season and you've got cause for why the Wings are playing the way they are. Perhaps I shouldn't have said its far from the problem....but IMHO, it isn't the main one either. They may not be as patient moving the puck East/West but they are having no problem getting the puck in the zone. The problem then is that they're not fighting to keep it. The same could be said about their lack of getting it back in the defensive zone.

Exactly...

They need to cycle the puck more and keep the opposition pinned down in their defensive end. Break aways and odd man rushes are exciting but north/south hockey combined with poor passing leads to many shots on goal by the opposition.

No doubt, which is why the main point of my posts have been about *working harder* and a sustained forecheck. Working harder creates opportunity to cycle down low and grind a team down, not to mention allows the Wings to play their puck-possession game.

I just don't feel you can solely pin the losses or poor defensive play simply on East/West passing. I made mention of poor East/West passes in the form of Lebda, Lilja and Rafalski but those are mental mistakes that can be corrected. That causes plenty of turnovers as well when the opposition is forechecking. The fact of the matter is though, 9 times of 10 when the opposition does create a turnover, its their work down-low and fighting for the puck harder than the Wings that's causing these goals. I hate to say it, but the Wings defenseman look pretty cream-puff'ish when it gets dirty behind the goal line thus far this season.

Now, couple that with the offense not committing to the forecheck like they did last season and you've got cause for why the Wings are playing the way they are. Perhaps I shouldn't have said its far from the problem....but IMHO, it isn't the main one either. They may not be as patient moving the puck East/West but they are having no problem getting the puck in the zone. The problem then is that they're not fighting to keep it. The same could be said about their lack of getting it back in the defensive zone.

I agree, it does seem like a large majority of the time when the other team dumps the puck in they come up with it, even when our guys get there at the same time or before. All 5 guys on the ice have seemed very content to allow the other team's puck retrieval and perimeter passing, but then they don't shut the middle down either - not a recipe for success.

I agree, it does seem like a large majority of the time when the other team dumps the puck in they come up with it, even when our guys get there at the same time or before. All 5 guys on the ice have seemed very content to allow the other team's puck retrieval and perimeter passing, but then they don't shut the middle down either - not a recipe for success.

I do agree the team looks soft. The definitely need to forecheck better and do a better job in front of their own net. I plan to keep an eye on tonights game to see if they continue to with north/south game I am referring to.

Like I siad, it might just be me, but their puck possession style seems to have changed a little bit.