• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingfan40

Zetterberg, 50 goals?

Rate this topic

10 goals in 13 games. Looks like being placed on the second line hasn't slowed Hank down at all. I would have to say it is very liikely that if he keeps up this pace he will hit 50 goals. Any thoughts?

Out of all of our forwards, Hank has been the best, with Hossa close behind. Its just funny to think that literally right behind these two are Franzen and Pavel, and factor in Homer, its just ridiculous. I think Hank, Franzen and Hossa all have the potential of getting to 50, most likely not all of them together but perhaps 1 or 2 of them. Pavel should get a ton of assists.

If he can stay healthy, it most certainly could happen. That being said, my own selfish reasons don't want him to hit it so his salary stays as much in check as possible. Perhaps Cleary and Filppula can pot 90 between the two of them instead since they're locked up. :P

The key thing here as everyone knows is his health. I'm almost positive early last season right out of the gate, Z was on a huge tear. I cant quote exactly, but I'm pretty sure he was well on pace for 50. I sure hope he can do it this year!!!

Guest CaliWingsNut
Should be very interesting to see who will reach 50 first Hossa or Z? perhaps line 1A and 1B couldf have a friendly competition to see whose boy makes it first.

My guess is that competition is already well under way.

If he can stay healthy, it most certainly could happen. That being said, my own selfish reasons don't want him to hit it so his salary stays as much in check as possible. Perhaps Cleary and Filppula can pot 90 between the two of them instead since they're locked up. :P

If he hits 50 goals, no way it comes any earlier than March. He should be signed by then. And who knows. If a 50 goal scorer whos just come off a Conn Smythe winning year can sign for say, 7.5M, then it might have a POSITIVE effect on the market.

My guess is that competition is already well under way.

I'd put my money on Zetterberg simply because Hossa has to contend with a much more talented group on the PP. Lidstrom is gonna score more PP goals than Kronwall, Raffi is gonna score more PP goals than Sammy, and Datsyuk is going to score more PP goals than Hudler while Hossa has the better net-front presence to contend with that can steal a goal from his column by an inch or two. Zetterbergs only real threat to stealing his Gs is Franzen, and with the way Hudler and Hank have been connecting on the PP, Zetterberg is still in the better position.

And I say this because I think its Hank being the big dog on the 2nd line that has made all the difference. Hes on pace for 25 PP goals (which would also be a Red Wing record if Im not mistaken).

Ultimately, however, it comes down to injuries, injuries, injuries with Hank.

it'll be interesting to see what happens to z's totals now that franzen is back. i don't imagine he'll slow down much in terms of over all points, but right now he's got 10 goals and 5 assists. i'd expect the rate of assists to jump way up and his goals to slow down a bit. i don't see franzen as a guy who will likely have more assists than goals in a season very many years. almost 60% of his points are goals. given that z can score and set up, and franzen seems to be a very natural finisher, i expect z will get a ton of points but not fifty goals.

that being said, it also depends on who else is on the line, be it hudler, flipper or sammy. each plays a different game which will affect z's game to some degree. interestingly, counter to what i might expect, sammy has 3 goals to z's 5 assists, and 11 assists to z's 10 goals. huds seems to be more of a set up guy. i kinda don't think z will get fifty goals, but if he stays healthy i do expect him to break a hundred points.

Looks like he is on pace for 68.07 goals ;)

There is no 2nd line in Detroit. Just 2 first lines. Face it, our 2nd line could be 1st line on any other team.

In fact, our third line may be better than some 1st lines of other teams.

If he hits 50 goals, no way it comes any earlier than March. He should be signed by then. And who knows. If a 50 goal scorer whos just come off a Conn Smythe winning year can sign for say, 7.5M, then it might have a POSITIVE effect on the market.

I would agree that he *should* be signed by then, but Kenny and Z could just as well have a gentlemen's agreement in place to see how their FA period shakes out. I absolutely believe Z will be with the Wings long-term, but that could delay things and for the better (or worse I suppose).

FTR, I don't see Z signing any later than January.

That would be a wonderful thing to see, but I doubt it translates to many (if any) other franchises out there. No other franchise in any professional American sport has what the Red Wings do in that regard. However it would be a great thing for sports in general going forward.

I only think we'll see one 50 goal scorer in a Wings uniform this season, and whether that will be Hossa, Zetterberg, or Franzen is yet to be determined. Two would be great, and three would be spectacular, but I'm a big fan of balanced production, so if nobody hits the mark, it's no real skin off of my back.