• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yzerman191

Interesting Statistics

Rate this topic

I did a little detective work this morning on number of one goal games out of total games played thus far, and these were my results. Mind you, I did not go through every team and I was just sort of whimsically picking the teams I did search. I'd go through 'em all, but meh.

Detroit: 12/15

Pittsburgh: 11/16

Anaheim: 8/17

Dallas: 9/16

NYR: 10/19

Buffalo: 8/15

LA Kings: 11/15

Vancouver: 9/16

NYI: 10/16

Tampa Bay: 11/16

Ottawa: 8/16

Toronto: 11/17

Colorado: 9/15

Chicago: 8/14

Columbus: 8/16

Washington: 10/15

Philly: 11/15

Phoenix: 3/15

NJD: 10/15

Nashville: 7/15

Pretty interesting. There were only three I searched that were below 50% (Anaheim just barely over). Detroit is sitting atop the league (as far as I know), which could in part be contributed to our lackluster effort on D thus far. I'd be curious to see how these compare stats compare with other season's stats.

Edited by Yzerman191

I'd like to see if combined goals per game are up this season, which I think they are and if the majority of the penalties this season are going to the leading team at the time and what I think has to be a dramatic rise in 5on3's. But, alas, I'm too busy/lazy to go hunting for those things.

Definitely something going on from a top level... if Babcock is being vocal about his suspicions you know everything's kinda fishy. I'd love to have a crack at the database of stats in Toronto and figure out just how many penalties have been called (5 on 3 specific) after a team goes down. Even last night when Tampa took several penalties in a row... just seems weird and it has come back to bite the Wings again and again when they're up in a game.

I can understand trying to make a game more exciting to watch - but if you start tampering to create excitement it really messes up the fundamentals of the game. Who knows... we'll probably never know for sure.

The new rules, face offs changed to the zone of the team penalized and no commercials after icing the puck have contributed to one goal games and increase of over all goals. Babs statement that he sees the team that is ahead getting more stupid penalties called. Makes sense for those one goal games, because it brings the face off to the penalized teams end.

And out of the three games that weren't a one-goal game, two of them were one-goal games until the Wings scored a empty-netter (Carolina and Atlanta). So really it's been 14/15 games for the Wings. It's amazing to have that many one-goal games and still be 10-2-3.

And out of the three games that weren't a one-goal game, two of them were one-goal games until the Wings scored a empty-netter (Carolina and Atlanta). So really it's been 14/15 games for the Wings. It's amazing to have that many one-goal games and still be 10-2-3.

yeah, the only game that hasn't been a one goal game for all intents and purposes was the san jose game, where we were down 4-1 until the last minute. wings need to run away with a game here pretty soon. they're due. the panthers might just be the team to provide that. :ph34r:

I'd like to see if combined goals per game are up this season, which I think they are and if the majority of the penalties this season are going to the leading team at the time and what I think has to be a dramatic rise in 5on3's. But, alas, I'm too busy/lazy to go hunting for those things.

Don't worry ESPN did the work for you.

Goal scoring is up from last season. Through Tuesday night's games, the NHL was averaging 5.9 goals per game, up from 5.6 over the same 220 games last season. That's a 66-goal difference (if the trend lasts all season, it will be a 369-goal difference). The number is also way up from the 5.0 goals per game the league was averaging through 220 games in 2003-04, the season before the lockout and all the rule changes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...&id=3700240

yeah, the only game that hasn't been a one goal game for all intents and purposes was the san jose game, where we were down 4-1 until the last minute. wings need to run away with a game here pretty soon. they're due. the panthers might just be the team to provide that. :ph34r:

Also, the NJ game where they won 3-1.