• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Mule

Red Wings place forward Darren McCarty on waivers

Rate this topic

Thank God he's been put on waivers. Say all you want about needing a fighter, but McCarty has done nothing for us this year other than his measly one goal. He gets in usless fights which prove nothing. Just like Downie, the coaches must tell them to stay away from the puck at all costs, because everytime they do it seems they turn the puck over or fail to clear the zone. I'm glad he's going on waivers, maybe now we'll have room for a player worth keeping.

You basically just described Kopecky.

Good post. :thumbdown:

It's a guarentee that when Chelios and Cleary come back that Mac will be in G.R. so enjoy this last month of fighting.

To bad when Cleary comes back the lines have to be shuffled. Its amazing how much more effective kopecky is playing wing with Huds and Val. YOu can notice him! lol

Now onto 2 D sitting in the press box when everyone is healthy will there be a trade?

Edited by PROBIE4PREZ

How does McCarty hinder our winning?

We can both win and fight, and from hearing the fans last night, they didn't seem to mind McCarty's actions against Stortini.

I don't mind his actions last night, but that had nothing to do with the outcome at all. We would have owned the Oilers regardless... because of the ability to score and play defense... which McCarty has only a limited ability to do.

Who cares? This isn't the KHL. He can do some things that those guys can't do. If I have to explain what those things are then there's no point in arguing with you.

The pain is that some of us actually enjoy fights (this isn't baseball :P), and Mac was the only one providing it this season.

His job is strictly to fight. If he can't skate well, can't score, can't walk and chew gum at the same time, it still doesn't matter to me. He's the only one doing anything remotely physical out there.

This team has too many guys not cutting it right now, and Mac isn't one of those guys. He's actually doing his job.

okay fighting is part of hockey and as a former player i totally understand why. but seriously, go watch boxing, ufc or become a philly fan because i would way rather watch detroit skate circles around everyone else in the league and score highlight reel goals than dress 3 fighters who cant skate and have zero ability to actually play the game. if the wings were getting the s*** beaten out of them every night and people were destroying all our skill players with impunity i would be singing a different tune but that isnt happening and trust me its not because people are afraid of mac.

fighting is an exciting part of the game for sure but there are so many people who call themselves hockey fans who are just watching the game to see fights. they immediately go to hockeyfights.com and engage in insanely long discussions about who won, who lost and so on and so forth. its a very small part of the game so enjoy it but quit over-analyzing it.

as red wings fans we are blessed to have the best coaching staff and management in the league. they know what they are doing and i dont care how much mac fights (and look at my sig, i love the guy) cleary is a better player and much more valuable to the team. they know it too, TRUST THEM.

Thank God he's been put on waivers. Say all you want about needing a fighter, but McCarty has done nothing for us this year other than his measly one goal. He gets in usless fights which prove nothing. Just like Downie, the coaches must tell them to stay away from the puck at all costs, because everytime they do it seems they turn the puck over or fail to clear the zone. I'm glad he's going on waivers, maybe now we'll have room for a player worth keeping.

Get real. It's obvious you aren't one to get out of your seat and roar when there's a bout on the ice, but for the love of God, could your post have been any more obnoxious? We're winning with McCarty in our lineup, and although we'd likely win without him, if he isn't acting as a major liability, why fix what isn't broken? Did you by any chance catch the Oil spill last night in Detroit? McCarty dropped the gloves early in the game (a fight in which he was excellent, I might add), and Detroit played like a solid Cup contender for 60 minutes. We've won multiple Cups with McCarty in our lineup, so where's all this angst coming from? Pull your head out of your ass and realize there's a reason Mac was a fan favorite.

I don't mind his actions last night, but that had nothing to do with the outcome at all. We would have owned the Oilers regardless... because of the ability to score and play defense... which McCarty has only a limited ability to do.

I'm telling you, Mac does play well defensively... he is not a liability in his own zone. He back checks and is usually in position. He is not the strongest skater by any means, but he knows the system and the limited amount of ice time the guy gets, he is not a liability.

All that said, I would rather have Helm & Abdelkader up playing on the 3rd or 4th line, but I also see the logic in getting them tons of ice time in GR.

Maltby is getting to the point where he is just slightly better than Mac... has Father Time caught up to that dude or what?

We've won multiple Cups with McCarty in our lineup, so where's all this angst coming from? Pull your head out of your ass and realize there's a reason Mac was a fan favorite.

Great point! In fact the last 4 cups... one of the only guys on the team to win all 4 (Lids, Drapes, Malts & Mac). Hmmm, maybe the guy knows how to win and thrives in his role in a "team" atmosphere.

BECAUSE HE WAS PUT ON WAIVERS DOES NOT MEAN THEY HAVE SENT HIM TO PURGATORY!

Sorry for the yelling but Jebus Christ people, he was waived in Oct. we had this whole discussion already Right here on this very website and where did he end up after that, STILL ON THE TEAM!

Edit: this post was filled with logic for the benefit of Konnan's fantasy team, mainly because it will be ignored by the

"URGHHHH More fighters" club.

Edited by Opie

Guest E_S_A_D

CONGRATULATIONS DARREN! YOU ACCOUNT FOR:

1. THE LOUDEST CHEERS IN THE JOE THIS SEASON (DURING YOUR FIGHTS)

2. A CLEAR WIN OVER ZACK ZORTINI LAST NIGHT

3. BEING THE ONLY RED WING SHOWING ANY TOUGHNESS THIS YEAR

CONGRATULATIONS... YOU HAVE BEEN PLACED ON WAIVERS...

LOVE,

KEN HOLLAND

P.S. REMEMBER, I'VE ALWAYS BEEN ON YOUR SIDE DARREN. :ranting:

Guest E_S_A_D

Gary Bettman, is this you?

You're the EXACT type of fan that has ruined the new NHL... I bet you like the 24 penalty minutes per period too huh?

CONGRATULATIONS DARREN! YOU ACCOUNT FOR:

1. THE LOUDEST CHEERS IN THE JOE THIS SEASON (DURING YOUR FIGHTS)

2. A CLEAR WIN OVER ZACK ZORTINI LAST NIGHT

3. BEING THE ONLY RED WING SHOWING ANY TOUGHNESS THIS YEAR

CONGRATULATIONS... YOU HAVE BEEN PLACED ON WAIVERS...

LOVE,

KEN HOLLAND

P.S. REMEMBER, I'VE ALWAYS BEEN ON YOUR SIDE DARREN. :ranting:

BECAUSE HE WAS PUT ON WAIVERS DOES NOT MEAN THEY HAVE SENT HIM TO PURGATORY!

Sorry for the yelling but Jebus Christ people, he was waived in Oct. we had this whole discussion already Right here on this very website and where did he end up after that, STILL ON THE TEAM!

Now the converstation probably went more like:

"Hey Darren, we are up against the cap and for some flexibility I am going to put you on waivers, like last month, and I will probably do it next month too."

"Cool, Ken thanks for letting me know, can I go back to practice now?"

"Sure Darren, oh hey great job last night!"

Edited by Opie

These are my favorite threads. :thumbdown:

Like others have said, this doesn't mean he is gone.

And this doesn't make the Wings ******* either. I like fighting as much as the next guy, but honestly the "sky is falling" mentality taken by some grit fans on this board whenever anyone that drops the gloves name pops up is pretty pathetic. Yes, we all like fights, but its about winning hockey games and if there is a single organization in NHL I had to trust with that task, its the Detroit Red Wings.

If you really want to see two fights a game over fielding a team that can dominate, there are plenty other teams in the league and even better, there is a great team in Grand Rapids that could use some attendance. Seriously, calm down everyone.

.... one of the only guys on the team to win all 4 (Lids, Drapes, Malts & Mac).

Don't forget Holmstrom.

This is just for flexibility, and I doubt any team is going to be putting in a claim for McCarty. Which is almost strange, because you would think the worst player on a championship team is still better than the worst players on a lot of other teams.

That period was awful, but 10 minutes of those penalties were matching fighting majors from Dmac's fight.

Hey stop using facts and logic and start arguing purely based on your emotions now or you will lose posting privileges!

OK, Seriously

11 miin for EDM -5 for fighting = 6

13 min for Det - 5 for fighting = 8

which is 14 minutes of PP.

2 penalties (1 for each team) I would say were make up calls. The first period the refs were calling whiffs as penalties.

Something to me says this is actually it for McCarty in the big show...

There's just too many other players and dollars knocking at the door. Gotta start moving the log jam somehow.

To answer the poster above, I don't think he's fooling anyone in the league with a sudden burst of grit and a side order of fisticuffs.

I'm telling you, Mac does play well defensively... he is not a liability in his own zone. He back checks and is usually in position. He is not the strongest skater by any means, but he knows the system and the limited amount of ice time the guy gets, he is not a liability.

Agree. I watch MAC closely because his "skill" is what keeps him in the lineup over Downey. He's been looking good defensively so far, especially with Draper and Maltby. I noticed him challenging the puck carrier at the blue line and clearing the puck out quite a few times last night as well as him driving the net offensively. It seems people just don't watch the games close enough and just repeat the same old s*** all the time.

esteef

I know I am considered one of those annoying "grit slapies" but I really just don't veiw this as a big deal. Everyone knew that this was coming. McCarty will remain on the team for at least for a bit longer untill some of the players with injuries heal, after that who knows. Even though I love fights, I still tune into every Wings game, as I am a Red Wings fan first, fight fan second. I don't need a fight in every game to make me happy, but it is nice when one occurs.

On a side note, McCarty looked good last night. However, it should be pointed out that Stortini is one of if not the worst fighters in the NHL. The only person I can recall him beating was Lapointe.

I'll post this a few times. Downey was waived 4 or 5 times last year and was never reassigned. This is about cap flexibility. Waiving someone does not mean they get reassigned to GR.

Exactly. I don't see him going anywhere. This is getting ready if they need to send him down to GR when Cleary comes back. not sure exactly what the rule is in regards to why they have to do this so much but that's why. I doubt Mac will be claimed and if he clears he'll stick with the team.