• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
vangvace

Bettman for the lulz

Rate this topic

As yet ESPN's ratings do not reflect this surge in hockey interest. With all the Rangers' games contractually not available on ESPN in the New York market (the MSG Network carries the games there), ESPN has averaged a 1.8 rating, miniscule by NBA standards. “Nobody should read too much into the ratings,” says Bettman. “We were off TV so many years, we're in the rebuilding process. If we were still getting those numbers in five years, I'd be disappointed.” The NHL also had six games televised this season on an over-the-air network, ABC, where it drew a lowly 1.7 avearge rating.

While the NBA's image has cooled, the NHL has ignited surprising new interest in hockey

by E. M. Swift

Sports Illustrated

June 20, 1994

not really anything to discuss, just found it funny

Guest CaliWingsNut
While the NBA's image has cooled, the NHL has ignited surprising new interest in hockey

by E. M. Swift

Sports Illustrated

June 20, 1994

not really anything to discuss, just found it funny

I don't find it funny. It scares me to think about Bettman for 5 more years.

Don't like it, stop watching.

grow up. I was watching, and loving hockey when you were in diapers.

i'm not going to stop watching the sport i love, just because it's different then what i remember.

Do i miss the fighting, fast paced offense, goaltenders who worse equipment that didn't take up the entire net? Yes, but i love hockey and i'll never stop watching even if it eventually does turn into basketball.

Edited by theman19

grow up. I was watching, and loving hockey when you were in diapers.

i'm not going to stop watching the sport i love, just because it's different then what i remember.

Do i miss the fighting, fast paced offense, goaltenders who worse equipment that didn't take up the entire net? Yes, but i love hockey and i'll never stop watching even if it eventually does turn into basketball.

I assume youre in your 60s (since the person you called out is in his 40s)? I am glad a man of you age has enough time to pick fights on the internet...

Edited by Shaman464

I assume youre in your 60s (since the person you called out is in his 40s)? I am glad a man of you age has enough time to pick fights on the internet...

dude whatever,....

i'm not picking any fight and i'm sorry if it came across that way, but it irks me when people say "don't like every single thing about the new nhl!" "Stop watching it then!"

That's silly, i have every right to be disgruntled about certain aspects of the "new nhl" given when i started watching hockey.

Is hockey better off since the dead puck era? Totally, i don't miss the trapping, the hacking and the lack of scoring at all.

What i do miss, and you'll have few takers on people who enjoy this part

is lack of an instigator rule, goalies who looked like humans beings instead of blimps under all that equpiment, Hockey being at the forefront of national coverage, an NHL not run by Gary Bettman (it's funny, the guy before him was even more crooked then he is, but at least he could run the league) i could go on.....

But just because i don't drink the kool-aide and say everything is wonderful with today's nhl don't you dare tell me "stop watching".

dude whatever,....

i'm not picking any fight and i'm sorry if it came across that way, but it irks me when people say "don't like every single thing about the new nhl!" "Stop watching it then!"

That's silly, i have every right to be disgruntled about certain aspects of the "new nhl" given when i started watching hockey.

Is hockey better off since the dead puck era? Totally, i don't miss the trapping, the hacking and the lack of scoring at all.

What i do miss, and you'll have few takers on people who enjoy this part

is lack of an instigator rule, goalies who looked like humans beings instead of blimps under all that equpiment, Hockey being at the forefront of national coverage, an NHL not run by Gary Bettman (it's funny, the guy before him was even more crooked then he is, but at least he could run the league) i could go on.....

But just because i don't drink the kool-aide and say everything is wonderful with today's nhl don't you dare tell me "stop watching".

Oh I agree that NHL needs to keep changing even if that change is back to where it was 10 years ago in some cases, but I like some of the changes personally, like the new face off rules, especially the no commercial time outs after icings. But you are right, some things like goalie equipment should be re-examined and taken back more towards the 90s standards. As for the instigator rule, I havent seen many called for example

17:35

DET

Brian Rafalski : Tripping - 2 min

19:42

DET

Andreas Lilja : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

19:42

EDM

Sheldon Souray : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

2nd Period

04:41

DET

Nicklas Lidstrom : Hooking - 2 min

No instigator was issued there, though Souray clearly started the fight. It seems more and more the Refs are just choosing not to call it.

Anyway my final point is what really would help the league would be parity....not like youve heard it though, I mean with the refs and how they call the games, a hook should be a hook no matter whos refing, not one game its the stick up for a second and the next game the guy can catch a ride on the other guy and its fair game. Thats is what gets on more people nerves than anything else is the lack of consistency of the calls.

But thats my humble opinion.