• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Burke signs 6 year deal with Leafs

Rate this topic

Watching them on HNIC is pretty boring, because of their softness. Hell, I think the Wings may have more fighters on their roster than Toronto has right now.

Say what you want about Burke, but he's the right man to bring this franchise back to respectability. Believe me, if they win a Cup like the Ducks did, Leafs fans won't care if he leaves another team in cap trouble like he did with Anaheim.

even though i absolutley hate brian burke, but he does have good hockey sense, and a good move by the leafs i honestly beleive this move will pay off for the leafs.... im already guessing that the leafs will be landing either kovalchuk or gaborik hmm

I doubt it. He'll be selling. Kaberle, Kubina, Antropov, Ponikarovsky....gone.

well i hate the ducks and i want toronto to be great. im soooo happy that toronto actually gives a s*** about their hockey club. hopefully with wilson coaching and burke managing this team will be a contender

it seems like people think Burke is the worst GM when he was with the ducks. But now that he is in toronto it seems like he is the best GM ever... i dunno thats what iam getting out of it... sure i think he was bad in ANA even with the cup.... But i dont think he suddenly change with Toronto.

Yeah, you're right.

A GM with a Stanley Cup ring is such a step down from John Ferguson Jr.

Umm, your avatar clearly states that you understand JFJ is not your GM anymore. Don't take it personally man. But Burke is just over rated IMO.

i doubt kaberle will be gone....but antropov, kubina, are big possibilties to be gone... but in return they can get pretty good players, burkes gonna rip and tear the team and fix it hes good at it

Kaberle WILL be gone. He's the most marketable asset they have. If he isn't traded at the deadline, he'll be gone over the summer when his no-trade clause is lifted.

So what is the game plan in Toronto now? Toronto publicly acknowledged that they were rebuilding this year. For some strange reason, I don't see Burke being a rebuilding kind of guy. I am curious if he decides to make some trades and try and make a playoff run this year. If that's the case, somebody hide the prospects!

Edited by miller76

Teams will of course want to give up their best picks and prospects for superstars like Antropov and Ponikarovsky.

I love Leafs fans.

Nobody ever said anything about getting the best picks and prospects for stiffs like Antropov & Ponikarovsky. That was you putting words in my mouth. Thanks.

They'll be able to net something decent like 2nd or 3rd rounders for them. Nothing special, but they need future parts.

Kaberle & Kubina are where they'll make hay. Teams will pay out the ass for defencemen, especially a guy like Kaberle making $4.25 million.

So what is the game plan in Toronto now? Toronto publicly acknowledged that they were rebuilding this year. For some strange reason, I don't see Burke being a rebuilding kind of guy. I am curious if he decides to make some trades and try and make a playoff run this year. If that's the case, somebody hide the prospects!

He's got a six year deal because it's going to take some time to get things back on track. I don't think he'll get impatient right away and he's got lots of job security in order to take things fairly slowly.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Nobody ever said anything about getting the best picks and prospects for stiffs like Antropov & Ponikarovsky. That was you putting words in my mouth. Thanks.

They'll be able to net something decent like 2nd or 3rd rounders for them. Nothing special, but they need future parts.

Nobody in their right mind would give up that high of a draft pick for either/both of those two guys.

Kaberle & Kubina are where they'll make hay. Teams will pay out the ass for defencemen.

The Kaberle/Kubina watch is officially on, and teams could pay a high price, but who can afford rentals these days? Particularly a $5 million rental in Kubina? Seriously, what does a team gain with Pavel?

Anyway, teams pay heavily for good D because they are very very rare. Who leads the Leafs' defence next year with no Kaberle/Kubina? Schenn? Van Ryn? Finger? Ian White?

Tell me which one of these guys below makes you think "Now THERE's a guy to build our defence around!"

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.php?t...&status=ufa

I know the guy isn't popular among Wings fans, but I've always had a great deal of respect for him. I got the chance to meet him 2 weeks ago at a sports management conference in Toronto and he had some really interesting stuff to say. He has a good sense of humour too. A lot of people will say that he walked into the perfect situation, and I can understand why that would be said, but the team would not have won the Cup without the tweaking he did (heck, if Schneider hadn't broken his wrist and Kronwall hadn't broken his ass they probably wouldn't have won it anyway!).

He says what's on his mind, which can turn some people off but after meeting him and getting the chance to talk to him, I definitely have a new appreciation for him and how he does things. I am a law student and am hoping to work in the sports industry someday and he was very approachable and very happy to give advice to me and the other younger delegates at the conference. While I am not a big fan of the way the Leafs have run things in the past, I would like to see him turn the team into a contender. The Wings are and always will be my favourite team, but there is something special about the playoffs when the Leafs make it there.

3026496536_ab2359544f.jpg

This is a picture I had taken at the conference. It was a great experience, lots of player agents and other officials (Gary Bettman, Bryan Colangelo, Jimmy Devellano). It was probably the best event I've attended in my three years of law school. Burke was actually one of the co-organizers and hosted several of the panel discussions. The conference took place the day before he stepped down in Anaheim.

Nice post.

I've never met Burke, but I've spent enough time listening to him to come away with similar impressions. I think he's a good fit in Toronto and the Leafs fans have cause to be optimistic. Burke isn't popular with a lot of Wings fans and he may be a bit of a megalomaniac, but he's a good GM.