• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Deadmarsh

Quincey Article

Rate this topic

it's looking more and mmore like we put the wrong guy on waivers. poor preseason or not, quincey>>>lebda, meech, lilja

Lilja might be playing the best hockey of his career right now, outside of the 07 playoffs. Meech has never had a big enough role to make an impact, and they're completely different Dmen as it is. But Lebda....yeah.

What I dont think a lot of people realize, though, is that Holland may have intended to trade Lebda IN ADDITION TO Quincey before Cheli went down, promote Meech to the #6 (the kid only makes 483k) and go with Cheli as #7 and Ericsson in case of emergencies. Cheli kind of threw a wrench into the whole thing by going down, but it also alleviated financial pressure, and now we've had an extra 20 games to figure out if some changes need to be made on defense.

There's also a big difference between playing on the Wings 3rd D pairing and the Kings 1st pair.

I don't think you could make an argument getting Q on the 1st or 2nd pair in Detroit, so the situations are not comparable.

If you ask me, this is one of those cases where being a member of the big bad Red Wings isn't every players dream. I saw the pre-season games. Quincey was inivisible. His checks were weak and his offense was non-existant. If he can play like he is now, why wouldn't he have done it when he was playing for his career as a Red Wing? The easy answer is that he didn't want to.

You can wonder all you want why he didn't want to be on a roster that is built to win the Cup. But you can also wonder what kind of contract he can play his way up to as a #2-4 Dman on a young team. Quinceys not gonna have a cup next year, but by July 1st, he could have himself a contract extension some 5-6 times more than what hed be making as a #6/7 on this Wings team.

If you ask me, this is one of those cases where being a member of the big bad Red Wings isn't every players dream. I saw the pre-season games. Quincey was inivisible. His checks were weak and his offense was non-existant. If he can play like he is now, why wouldn't he have done it when he was playing for his career as a Red Wing? The easy answer is that he didn't want to.

You can wonder all you want why he didn't want to be on a roster that is built to win the Cup. But you can also wonder what kind of contract he can play his way up to as a #2-4 Dman on a young team. Quinceys not gonna have a cup next year, but by July 1st, he could have himself a contract extension some 5-6 times more than what hed be making as a #6/7 on this Wings team.

That first blurb makes some sense and isn't out the realm of possibility.

With the people who are still ticked that he's not there anymore, for me it comes down to all the lower-tiered defensemen knowing the situation in Wings pre-season/early season. They knew that one of them would not be with the Wings this season sooner than later based on their play on the ice given the time period of training/pre-season/early season. Fair? Perhaps not, but life is almost never fair these days. I don't get preseason coverage not living in Michigan obviously, but say if Quincey wanted to remain on the Wings as opposite of what YoungGuns is suggesting, he has nobody to blame but himself for not stepping up his play as compared to others on the chopping block at the time in Meech, Lebda, and Lilja.

Did I like Quincey? Of course. But you can't keep everybody and while it'd be nice if he was still with Detroit, this isn't a huge, catastrophic loss.

There's also a big difference between playing on the Wings 3rd D pairing and the Kings 1st pair.

I don't think you could make an argument getting Q on the 1st or 2nd pair in Detroit, so the situations are not comparable.

It's more that he's been playing a ton of minutes for LA, who are not exactly an incredibly talented team, and he's looked pretty good.

I wonder how Lebda would look if he were on the ice for the Kings 20+ minutes a game. Or Lilja, for that matter (though I think Lilja's having a good season so far).

With the way Meech played up front tonight, he might actually be a comparable commodity simply because of his versatility.

no way meech sucked at forward tonight and lost his balance sending himself face first into the boards

:lol: Cause I guess Lebda and Meech are still better commodoties than Quincey?

More because the poster in question completely fails to grasp how cap era hockey works and apparently believes that taking a sample of these players when one's at his highest value and the other two their lowest (well that only applies to Lebda) is in any way valid.

Holland would've been retarded to ditch Lebda or Meech for Quincey because Quincey's the inferior player. Period. Quincey was inferior in GR, the preseason AND every damn call up he's had since the 07 playoffs. No one in the NHL found him attractive enough to trade for. That's pretty damn telling in and of itself.

More because the poster in question completely fails to grasp how cap era hockey works and apparently believes that taking a sample of these players when one's at his highest value and the other two their lowest (well that only applies to Lebda) is in any way valid.

Holland would've been retarded to ditch Lebda or Meech for Quincey because Quincey's the inferior player. Period. Quincey was inferior in GR, the preseason AND every damn call up he's had since the 07 playoffs. No one in the NHL found him attractive enough to trade for. That's pretty damn telling in and of itself.

During the period last season when Lilja and Lebda were serving as the #1 and #2 defensemen and playing the kind of ice time Quincey is getting now, they weren't ever playing nearly as well as Quincey is playing. In fact, they were playing so poorly that they ended up dropping behind Meech and Ericsson during that period because those two could actually handle the ice time without looking like trash. Either Lebda or Lilja is the defenseman who should have been traded or waived.

Again, overall over the past few seasons given the time period used to judge the lower-tiered defensemen, Quincey had every opportunity to show that he was worth more than Lebda, Lilja, or Meech. And Lebda and Lilja had plenty of chances to possibly screw the pooch up enough to warrant a trade or being waived on the professional level. Yes I do understand that Quincey was primarily in the minors. He still had his chances to impress though or waiting for the others to screw up enough to where he got more playing time professionally.

If Quincey did want to stay here, he has nobody to blame but himself for not stepping his game up and Lebda, Lilja and Meech apparently showed more than Quincey during the given time period.

It is about fitting the best personnel you got given the salary cap and injury situations and the like. If Quincey would've fit better than the others or played better than them, he would be staying.

I like the kid but the frustration of seeing him gone is a little overboard I think.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Let me stop you right there...

Meech:

2004/05 GR: 78 games, 14 points.

2005/06 GR: 79 games, 20 points.

2006/07 GR: 67 games, 29 points.

Quincey:

2005/06 GR: 70 games, 33 points.

2006/07 GR: 65 games, 22 points.

2007/08 GR: 66 games, 20 points.

Lebda:

2004/05 GR: 80 games, 12 points.

I'd say he had more ice-time and was used more on the speciality teams too. :thumbup:

Let me stop you right there...

Meech:

2004/05 GR: 78 games, 14 points.

2005/06 GR: 79 games, 20 points.

2006/07 GR: 67 games, 29 points.

Quincey:

2005/06 GR: 70 games, 33 points.

2006/07 GR: 65 games, 22 points.

2007/08 GR: 66 games, 20 points.

Lebda:

2004/05 GR: 80 games, 12 points.

I'd say he had more ice-time and was used more on the speciality teams too. :thumbup:

Heh- I should have said he was inferior in GR to every other Red Wings defensive prospect.

During the period last season when Lilja and Lebda were serving as the #1 and #2 defensemen and playing the kind of ice time Quincey is getting now, they weren't ever playing nearly as well as Quincey is playing. In fact, they were playing so poorly that they ended up dropping behind Meech and Ericsson during that period because those two could actually handle the ice time without looking like trash. Either Lebda or Lilja is the defenseman who should have been traded or waived.

Why? So we can dump him this summer? Ericsson is playing in the top six next season. The Wings are already in a defensive log-jam. Adding another 3rd string d-man to the roster (Quincey) wouldn't solve our problems. Someone had to be dumped so they chose the least experienced player with the least up-side.

Note that you've pointed out that Ericsson and Meech both outplayed Q last year. Why keep Q then? The top 4 d-men are already signed for next season. And Q has two NHL ready prospects that sit ahead of him in the depth charts.

Heh- I should have said he was inferior in GR to every other Red Wings defensive prospect.

Even though he outplayed Meech and Lebda? Weren't they Red Wings defensive prospects?

Why? So we can dump him this summer? Ericsson is playing in the top six next season. The Wings are already in a defensive log-jam. Adding another 3rd string d-man to the roster (Quincey) wouldn't solve our problems. Someone had to be dumped so they chose the least experienced player with the least up-side.

Note that you've pointed out that Ericsson and Meech both outplayed Q last year. Why keep Q then? The top 4 d-men are already signed for next season. And Q has two NHL ready prospects that sit ahead of him in the depth charts.

11 points and +3 in 19 games, yet least amount of upside? Okay. :rolleyes:

Lilja might be playing the best hockey of his career right now, outside of the 07 playoffs. Meech has never had a big enough role to make an impact, and they're completely different Dmen as it is. But Lebda....yeah.

Oh yeah wasn't that the year when he went from hero to goat, hahaha I forgot :lol:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the last line or so, where Quincey talks about how he totally understands why he was let go, how Kenny treated him right, and how he'd "love to come back someday" and was torn about leaving.

He's got a long career ahead of him, and no doubt if he plays solid he'd be an excellent replacement for an aging defenseman should an opening present itself in a few seasons.