• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GoOzzieGo

Captain Nick

Rate this topic

Is it just me, or is Nick starting to slip a little.....becoming...um..what should I say? Human? It seems he's getting beat a lot more so far this year than I've ever seen him. Cheli went through a similar spell last year in the playoffs and most everyone was calling for the hangman's noose. The way our defense has played of late....Cheli can't get well soon enough.

Is it just me, or is Nick starting to slip a little.....becoming...um..what should I say? Human? It seems he's getting beat a lot more so far this year than I've ever seen him. Cheli went through a similar spell last year in the playoffs and most everyone was calling for the hangman's noose. The way our defense has played of late....Cheli can't get well soon enough.

Well, age isn't on his side.

Why because Rafalski kept getting cought back deep tonight resulting in 2-1s coming down vs Lidstrom and he couldnt fend off 2 players.

LOL...well sure, Nick of old could always fend off 2 players! No, not just tonight...he just seems off his game so far this season. Seems a little hesitant at times. I'm sure a lot of this has to do with basically an overall breakdown of defense on most everyone.

Lidstrom has been human this year, for the first time that I can remember. I don't know what's going on with these guys. Even when they're winning it doesn't seem....well....right.

They're not playing bad overall, it's just like they're not all there all the time.

I do find it funny though that everyone is thinking Chelios will save the defense when 90% of you were calling for him to be let go during the summer.

How come some people can't grasp the concept of aging?

Probably because you're proposing it as if hockey players insta-age over night. I certainly hope Lidstrom won't drop from a 70pt Norris season to average in one summer.

Here's a thought for you. Maybe the Wings are not slowling down, or getting worse, but the rest of the league is getting better. There is a lot of good young, mostly unknown talent among many teams now who are starting to mature and actually play very well. They are fast, young and fearless and let's face it, Lidstrom is 38 when most players are past their prime. He has to play a much tighter game and be in position now all the time otherwise he'll get burned. I doubt anyone over the course of an 80+ game season can do that.

(I find it funny though that the Wings lose and I win money every time, because you fans always, always blame the refs, my pocket book thanks you)

Why do we do this every year? The Wings have played a total of 2 good games all year. It's not like the Wings are playing their hearts out and getting beaten. They are playing lazy and have won 66% of their games. Every year, the Wings have a bad stretch, we do this.

A lot of people thought he was finished winning Norrises when he didn't win it in 2004. I think he ended with something like 40 points that year. And look what he's done since then.

Obviously that was several years ago, and he's aged since then, but I think he just needs to be more aggressive offensively and needs to take off the visor which is most likely affecting his play.

The plus/minus total is more of a product of the forwards not hustling defensively like they've done in the past. There are constantly players coming in off the puck to score goals on us. That's on the forwards and not on the defense.

In my opinion, Lidstom has looked human because Rafalski has been barely average. Yes there have been a few obvious lapses in Nick's play but the oposition is putting the puck in the net because Brian is getting beat at the blue line and leaving Nick out to dry. Not to mention the defensive zone turnovers by pretty much anyone in The Wheel.

It seems to me I heard Rafalski say that Babs told him to jump up more and he does seem to be doing that. Unfortunately that leaves Nick to play defensive defensemen, which he is perfectly capable as we all know. The problem occurs when Raf moves in and gets a shot blocked, then Nick is scrambling back to cover the rush where always seems to be a trailer coming before Raf gets back. In that scenario, the defensive breakdown will seem to be Nick's fault even though he may play it perfectly.

In my opinion, Lidstom has looked human because Rafalski has been barely average. Yes there have been a few obvious lapses in Nick's play but the oposition is putting the puck in the net because Brian is getting beat at the blue line and leaving Nick out to dry. Not to mention the defensive zone turnovers by pretty much anyone in The Wheel.

It seems to me I heard Rafalski say that Babs told him to jump up more and he does seem to be doing that. Unfortunately that leaves Nick to play defensive defensemen, which he is perfectly capable as we all know. The problem occurs when Raf moves in and gets a shot blocked, then Nick is scrambling back to cover the rush where always seems to be a trailer coming before Raf gets back. In that scenario, the defensive breakdown will seem to be Nick's fault even though he may play it perfectly.

good analysis :thumbup:

If he does pick it up and go on a tear in the 2nd half of the season is he still in the running for the Norris or is it all for Dion?

Phaneuf hasn't been all that great either. He's at -6 right now. I'm thinking Lidstrom ends up winning it again after a strong second half, but Shea Weber, Dan Boyle, Rob Blake, and Mike Green can all make cases early on.

Sir,

I am intrigued with what you have said, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Sincerely,

thedisappearer