• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Phazon

Osgood is the worst starting goalie in the league

Rate this topic

You mean like the rebound osgood dumped in front that got deposited in the net last night? I mean look at Tim

Thomas, he gives up alot of rebounds and most the time they dont cost him. He keeps most of them out of dangerous areas. The ones he can't he saves with his athletic ability and great lateral movement. Osgood can't afford to give up rebounds because he can't recover to make the next save anymore because he has no lateral movement. People who want to try to use stats to somehow give Osgood a pass need to actually watch some games. If you know hockey and actually watch games is been very obvious Chris is not been helping his team this year. I hope it changes since his play was a postive story for the Wings cup last year. Will it? we shall see.

That's a joke, right? He made a good save there. No goalie eats all rebounds.

That was a good timing play, or maybe dumb luck by Voracek. I fault Ozzy for the last two goals, but not that one.

the fact is is that osgood is not playing good enough. maybe not the worst in the league, but i personally think that its safe to say that our goaltending has been weak so far this year.

I'd trade Ozzie for Turco right now- only because Turco's a fairly young All-Star goalie that's struggling but is too damn talented to keep strugling. Incidentally, Ozzie's too talented and focused to maintain these poor numbers. He'll bounce back by the time April rolls around.

Fairly young? Todd Bertuzzi (same birth year) is fairly young?

Throughout his career Ozzie has played best when he's felt like he has a lot to prove as the underdog.

In 1998 he had to prove that he could lead this team to a Cup, and last year he had to prove that he was better than Hasek and could take the starting job from him and lead us all the way to another Cup, thus showing that he was still a solid goalie.

This year he hasn't had anything to prove, because he knows that he has the starting job no matter what. I'd actually bench him right now, just to light a fire under his ass. Ozzie just feels immune right now, and Babcock has got to change that.

i dont know about osgood feeling immune. with everything that has happened to him in his career he has to know that he is NEVER safe. especially with the way this season has gone so far and how well conks has played. im sure it's already in the back of his mind.

Edited by TheCaptain19

Isn't Ozzie one of the reasons we won the cup last year? Hell Yeah.

Has he had his moments? Yes

Hasen't EVERY OTHER FREAKIN goalie had their monents? Hell Yeah.

Just let it go. He has one of the best records as a goalie and we have one of the best redords as a team. Everyone just shut up about how Ozzie sucks. He plays in the NHL for a reason.

EDIT - Just to help prove my point....

9-1-4.

The points equivalent of 11-3-0.

Ozzy needs to draw some games that will actually help his stats. Facing 16 SOG is just setting a goalie up for failure. Even if he had only let in 2, that's still a .875%

Edited by Real1

Ozzy needs to draw some games that will actually help his stats. Facing 16 SOG is just setting a goalie up for failure. Even if he had only let in 2, that's still a .875%

I don't get this comment. The whole point of a Sv% statistic is to take into account the number of shots to help a goalie's stats. For example, someone might let in 4 goals but if they were barraged with 60 shots that explains that the goalie was under pressure. 4 goals from 16 shots is terrible on the other hand and would be reflected in their Sv%.

High Sv% = stopping the majority of shots. Doesnt matter which games Ozzy draws his job is to stop the puck and while he is definitely a serviceable starter, he is not at a level where he can bail us out on a regular basis (heaven forbid if need be).

I don't get this comment. The whole point of a Sv% statistic is to take into account the number of shots to help a goalie's stats. For example, someone might let in 4 goals but if they were barraged with 60 shots that explains that the goalie was under pressure. 4 goals from 16 shots is terrible on the other hand and would be reflected in their Sv%.

High Sv% = stopping the majority of shots. Doesnt matter which games Ozzy draws his job is to stop the puck and while he is definitely a serviceable starter, he is not at a level where he can bail us out on a regular basis (heaven forbid if need be).

I agree with what you're saying, but my point was that if Ozzy had let in 2 in that game, with all the nice saves he made we would have considered it a good game, yet the stat sheet would show a .875 sv%.

Osgood isn't playing any worse than he ever has. Osgood was never a spectacular goalie, hes a mediacore goaltender. Thats why hes paid like one. Detroit has kept Osgoods GAA down, not allowing real scoring chances only giving up weak shots from the outside. The scoring in the league is up right now everyones GAA is higher than average and on top of that Detroit has been giving up quite a few more scoring chances than they have last season.

Uhm....he put up good numbers with the Isles and Blues, didn't he?

I agree he's not a best-ever goalie, but Ozzie has always been an above average, solid goaltender. He's having a rough start, but so is the team. Whenever one of the two gets their act together, the other one will, too. It's symbiotic and larger than a single player.

osgood is easily in the bottom ten i would say for the worst starters in the league. with that being said some may not remember we are in a salary cap world, and we have arguably the most talented team in the league. Instead of complaining we dont have luongo, look around at the goaltenders making osgoods wage and those are the realistic options for the team. i dont like ozzie, i never will, but even with that being said for the price of osgood and cap world we are in, there is not one goalie i could honestly say would be an upgrade from the man. He does a fine job for what he gets, and like last playoffs he even offers some steller goaltending when he gets hot. with a cap, the current red wings everbeing able to get a luongo would be like the patriots getting a L.Tomlinson. its just not possible. bottom line, osgood for the price he is at is the best value in america besides a 5 dollar hot n ready. :thumbup:

prolly the same surprise on the oz when the shot deflected in on him.

Dude Ozzie got smoked yet again by a center ice goal and i could really care less if hossa barely tipped it at the blue line lol! Ozzie is Ozzie he has no athleticsm and is not aggressive what so ever. To be a goalie you have to challenge and come out of the crease sometimes i love Ozzie as a person but he will always be an average goalie who played on some awesome Wings teams.

He is probably the most boring goalie i have ever watched play the game and thank god for Conklin cause i thought i was gonna be bored out of my mind this year with our goal tending when The Dominator retired.

We can win the cup with him in net like last year we just have to play great D and Ozzie will play better and it will boost his confidence.

Dude Ozzie got smoked yet again by a center ice goal and i could really care less if hossa barely tipped it at the blue line lol! Ozzie is Ozzie he has no athleticsm and is not aggressive what so ever. To be a goalie you have to challenge and come out of the crease sometimes i love Ozzie as a person but he will always be an average goalie who played on some awesome Wings teams.

He is probably the most boring goalie i have ever watched play the game and thank god for Conklin cause i thought i was gonna be bored out of my mind this year with our goal tending when The Dominator retired.

We can win the cup with him in net like last year we just have to play great D and Ozzie will play better and it will boost his confidence.

Bad_Post.jpg

EDIT: Ok, I need to explain some lest I be accused of bad posts myself.

1) "Ozzie got smoked yet again by a center ice goal" -- Name the last time this happened in Ozzie's current Wings tenure. Name the time before that. See?

2) "he has no athleticsm" -- He has one of the best glove hands in the game. That doesn't come from booklearning. Just ask Jack Burton.

3) "i love Ozzie as a person" -- :blink:

4) "He is probably the most boring goalie i have ever watched play the game and thank god for Conklin cause i thought i was gonna be bored out of my mind this year with our goal tending when The Dominator retired." -- Do I really need to comment on this? Jee-money!

I'm not saying the guy doesn't need to improve, nor am I a terrible Ozzie apologist... but this post was just over the top... bad.

Edited by Uncle Danny

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't "average" Ozzie start in goal on the team that won a championship last season while another particular goalie was riding the bench?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't "average" Ozzie start in goal on the team that won a championship last season while another particular goalie was riding the bench?

Careful about attacking Ozzie on this site, some of the faithful here will jump you when you least expect it.....

Careful about attacking Ozzie on this site, some of the faithful here will jump you when you least expect it.....

Hey, the truth hurts some more than others.

I agree with what you're saying, but my point was that if Ozzy had let in 2 in that game, with all the nice saves he made we would have considered it a good game, yet the stat sheet would show a .875 sv%.

If you are going to quote stats you need to understand what they mean. When a goalie lets in 2 out of 10 shots, he does have a 80% save rate but because the sample size is so low, the statistic is meaninless.

You need to look at 50 or 100 shots faced if you want to compare statistics and based on that, Ozzie is not having a very good start this year. But to look at 1 game is meaningless.

You bought into it hook line and sinker... thats exactly what they wanted you to believe.. it was actually the other goalie playing net wearing Osgood jersey... see... it wasn't ozzie at all that bailed us out from nashville on

START SIR CONKSALOT!

and we did and it appears he couldn't handle it either... oh well... its only our like 4th loss in regulation right? its cool

And considering he has 3 of our 4 losses... in less games played... he kinda doesn't give us the best chance to win...

Edited by OsGOD

START SIR CONKSALOT!

That idea didn't work well last night. :P

Although Conklin isn't the scapegoat/sole person to blame obviously. ;)

Again? As in the first time in like 10 years he let in a ceter ice goal?

If Osgood is a boring goalie, and boring helps win you a Stanley Cup like it did last year, I'll take boring every single time.

I'm fine with both the Wings goalies and trust both of them whenever they start. Pretty boring response as well but hey, sometimes being boring is good and gives you less heartburn.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

To be a goalie you have to challenge and come out of the crease sometimes i love Ozzie as a person but he will always be an average goalie who played on some awesome Wings teams.

LMAO... and yet your namesake was pulled after sucking behind that same great wings team... and relieved by the "average" goalie who marched on to win the cup... I get it... hasek will always be the best thing here...

I still say that he should be stopping at least 15 of 16. There have been a few this season where Ozzie shoulda stopped the shot, but didnt. I feel like alot of them were turnovers too though.

LMAO... and yet your namesake was pulled after sucking behind that same great wings team... and relieved by the "average" goalie who marched on to win the cup... I get it... hasek will always be the best thing here...

For me... Hasek's retirement was the best day of my career as a wings fan :P

If "osgood is the worst starting goalie in the league", then he has nowhere to go but up, considering he was backup last year. lol

I personally think he will get back to last years form, and will retire as a Wing. (backup to whoever we bring up from GR)

Our defense is still kinda choppy, and having them lost on the ice at times probably affects Ozzie/Conks. Once they get back to 100% I have a feeling our goal tending will as well.

BTW, has ozzie started wearing his new pads? I forgot that he was breaking them in, and was just wondering if he wore them in yesterdays game or not.

Have faith in the Wings. There's a reason people say stats go out the window once the playoffs starts. Hopefully Lilja gets some fight tutorials before the playoffs, if he's still here that is.

Seriously, I am as frustrated as any here about the play of Osgood so far. But...

How would your confidence be if you play one night and sit the next? How easy would it be to get into a rhythm, to feel like you're "the man", like he did in the playoffs last year?

My thought is he has to play, like 4 games in a row to Conk's one, if we want him to be the Number One and play like one. Playing goal in the NHL has got to mess with your head more than anything else. It might help if the coach wasn't messing with his head as well.

I am a little surprised at how many people felt it was guaranteed that Ozzie would be able to continue his play from the playoffs. Ozzie is a solid goalie and has put in a good career with Detroit, but he is not an elite goalie and he is certainly not a future hall of famer. He has always been maddeningly inconsistent. Sometimes he has an all-star caliber level of play, but sometimes he cannot be counted on, and he has always had a very tenuous hold on the starting job during his time in Detroit. This is not a post to call for the ousting of Ozzie as starter (Conklin and the guys in GR are the only options, so it is unlikely), but just to remind people to be realistic about the situation. Honestly, based on Ozzie's history, its just as equally likely that Ozzie heats up and backstops the Wings to the Stanley Cup, or he ends up sitting on the bench behind Conklin.

AHAHAHAHAHA!!! Are you kidding me? You ARE kidding me, right?

Are you honestly sitting at your computer, typing your (apparently) expert opinion, regarding what it takes "to be a goalie", and attempting to apply THAT opinion to the obviously lacking career of an NHL goaltender, who is rapidly approaching 400 Career Victories, and has his name engraved on the Stanley Cup not once, not twice, but THRICE?

Dude.....let me allow that to sink in.....to really, truly sink in.....

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

You've missed your calling, Noodle. You shoulda been a comedian.