• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Phazon

Osgood is the worst starting goalie in the league

Rate this topic

yea, great, another measuring stick for us that we have to play at a disadvantage.

San Jose was a back-to back with travel in between and the 3rd game in 4 nights

Montreal was the first day back from a 10 game western Canadian trip

and now we get Boston in another back to back with travel in between

Who made this schedule?

And San Jose is only the team to beat in the regular season as in the past. I'll worry if they make it to the WCF. I think alot of people are looking at McClellan as their savior but that's a pretty tall order for a rookie head coach. He is dealing with a group that has underachieved in the playoffs 4 years in a row..

I had to look this up.

2004 Lost in WCF to Calgary

2005 lockout

2006 Lost in 2nd round to Oilers

2007 Lost in 2nd round to Wings

2008 Lost in 2nd round to Stars.

Pretty amazing...

You mean you think the Sharks only perform in the regular season and choke in the playoffs?

Hmm I think I've heard that argument before...

Maybe the sharks are too old too?

Again? As in the first time in like 10 years he let in a ceter ice goal?

Not quite 10 years. I can tell you the exact date Osgood last let in a center ice goal....

March 8, 2002, against......

The Columbus Blue Jackets, scored by Geoff Sanderson. Was the turning point in a personal slump he was in the midst of. He let in 3 goals on 6 shots in the first period. Rather than pull him, (as he'd been doing), Laviolette left him in there. He had a chat with him between periods 1 and 2. Oz didin't allow another goal that game. (4th goal was an EN). During the flight home, Lavi pulled Oz aside and told him that he was going to have to get his game in gear, because he was "our guy", and there was no need to look over his shoulder.

He did. He was lights out from that point on.

sidenote: anyone notice FLA of all teams spanked the rags 4-0? at MSG nonetheless!! :lol:

that paired with flyers getting dominated by the Leafs last night makes our loss not so painful to me

sidenote: anyone notice FLA of all teams spanked the rags 4-0? at MSG nonetheless!! :lol:

that paired with flyers getting dominated by the Leafs last night makes our loss not so painful to me

Exactly. One loss in November means nothing. When April comes, no one will even remeber it.

During the flight home, Lavi pulled Oz aside and told him that he was going to have to get his game in gear, because he was "our guy", and there was no need to look over his shoulder.

So when is Babcock going to have that chat with Oz? He needs to know he is the man to play well. (In MY Opinion)

You mean you think the Sharks only perform in the regular season and choke in the playoffs?

Hmm I think I've heard that argument before...

Maybe the sharks are too old too?

No. I think up until last year they were poorly coached. That's often the case when a team repeatedly underachieves. The question is now whether or not McClellan can get them to play in the playoffs. I think that's a pretty tall order for a rookie head coach. The team is certainly talented enough but they haven't "stepped up" their play when it comes time for the playoffs. They were on fire at the end of last season too, then the playoffs started and they didn't take it up a notch like everyone else. The result was that they barely escaped a much less talented Calgary team. Actually loosing a game 6 elimination game before winning game seven. Then they dropped both of their first 2 home games against Dallas at which point they were done. It wasn't just that they lost, but they played like it still was November.

Bottom line, the San Jose team that is tearing up the league now did the same thing last year and we know how that ended.

If they do step it up, it is likely that we will have a date with them in the WCF because right now (and I know it's early) it looks like SJ and the Wings will finish 1 and 2 in the conference and unless either the Wings or Sharks bow out early, that is when we will play them.

So when is Babcock going to have that chat with Oz? He needs to know he is the man to play well. (In MY Opinion)

Listen to/read Babcock's comments recently.

He IS having "that chat" with Oz. Whether or not it's being said behind lockerroom doors, it's being said. You just have to read between the lines.

In response to rotating the two goalies? Babs stated that he wanted Oz getting 2 of 3 games to open the Season in order to "Get your Starter going", then he'd consider rotating them. He then stated that Oz would get more of the workload later in the Season, because that's when you "Go back to your Starter", getting him ready for the Post Season.

Even immediately after that long bomb scored by Tyutin, Babcock's response was little more than how impressive it was for Oz to have posted his 372nd Career Victory, and how a goaltender really had to be "top notch" in order to achieve that. He even went so far as to poo-poo the long bomb, stating that Oz would be fine, and that he "wouldn't worry too much" about Chris Osgood.

I was encouraged by Ozzie's reaction after the Columbus game. He was frustrated and upset with himself. He knows he needs to play better.

I agree, though....

He needs more than every other game to get it going. He needs a few consecutive Starts.

Not quite 10 years. I can tell you the exact date Osgood last let in a center ice goal....

March 8, 2002, against......

The Columbus Blue Jackets, scored by Geoff Sanderson. Was the turning point in a personal slump he was in the midst of. He let in 3 goals on 6 shots in the first period. Rather than pull him, (as he'd been doing), Laviolette left him in there. He had a chat with him between periods 1 and 2. Oz didin't allow another goal that game. (4th goal was an EN). During the flight home, Lavi pulled Oz aside and told him that he was going to have to get his game in gear, because he was "our guy", and there was no need to look over his shoulder.

You forgot to mention that Sanderson is also the guy who tried to chase down both of Ozzie's goals, the one he scored in juniors and in the NHL.

I decided to stray away from this thread for awhile because I knew I wouldn't be able to control myself from the ridiculous comments.

I'm mind boggled by the things I'm reading from this board and a few others on Osgood. It's like everything he's ever done means s*** and now suddenly last years cup win was because of the defense in front of him. Kinda ironic seeing as how he was THIS close to winning the Smythe right? Nah. He's just a product of the team in front of him. <_<

I'll agree that Ozzie is having a poor season thus far, but there is no way in hell that anyone should take away from him being a great goalie just because of a horrible goal. s*** happens. He's not the first, and he won't be the last to let one in.

And yesterday he got scored from center ice. This guy deserves some fair criticism. It's not the defense all the time, he has been bad and he hasnt stolen a single game. Not even close.

Wow, Hero to villain in less than 6 months. It was only a matter of time before people jumped on him....

You forgot to mention that Sanderson is also the guy who tried to chase down both of Ozzie's goals, the one he scored in juniors and in the NHL.

LOL.....

Geoff always seemed to bring his "A" game against Oz, probably for that very reason.

For everyone in mild panic mode....

Relax. Oz will be fine. While he hasn't been spectacular, he hasn't been nearly as bad as the stats make him look.

I don't care about how Ozzie is playing. All I know is if the defense were to improve, Ozzie would improve. At least one defenseman has been able to share the brunt of the blame in almost every goal scored against Ozzie this season (and Conklin). Too many chances in the slot. Too many second, third, fourth chances at the puck when its sitting in front of the net. Cut those out and Ozzie wont look so bad. No goalie is going to look hot when hes facing that kind of s***.

I feel bad for the guy. Half the time he sits in his net and 10 minutes go by before the opposition gets in the zone, dominates our defense for about a minute and a half, and scores because they have 4 open players while our defenseman stand around and look like idiots. Make no mistake, thats gonna f*** with your confidence.

I don't care about how Ozzie is playing. All I know is if the defense were to improve, Ozzie would improve. At least one defenseman has been able to share the brunt of the blame in almost every goal scored against Ozzie this season (and Conklin). Too many chances in the slot. Too many second, third, fourth chances at the puck when its sitting in front of the net. Cut those out and Ozzie wont look so bad. No goalie is going to look hot when hes facing that kind of s***.

I feel bad for the guy. Half the time he sits in his net and 10 minutes go by before the opposition gets in the zone, dominates our defense for about a minute and a half, and scores because they have 4 open players while our defenseman stand around and look like idiots. Make no mistake, thats gonna f*** with your confidence.

This post is dead on.

I agree.... let's replace Osgood with Joey MacDonald! Just look at the stats through the first 2 months: MacDonald has more wins, a better save percentage and a better GAA despite playing for like the worst team ever!

So in conclusion:

MacDonald >> Ozzie

:rolleyes:

I agree.... let's replace Osgood with Joey MacDonald! Just look at the stats through the first 2 months: MacDonald has more wins, a better save percentage and a better GAA despite playing for like the worst team ever!

So in conclusion:

MacDonald >> Ozzie

:rolleyes:

Bring in the Mcdeez ... the stats have spoken