91 replies to this topic

#41 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Huckleberry?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (Pucks @ November 29, 2008 - 12:34PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You mean like the rebound osgood dumped in front that got deposited in the net last night? I mean look at Tim
Thomas, he gives up alot of rebounds and most the time they dont cost him. He keeps most of them out of dangerous areas. The ones he can't he saves with his athletic ability and great lateral movement. Osgood can't afford to give up rebounds because he can't recover to make the next save anymore because he has no lateral movement. People who want to try to use stats to somehow give Osgood a pass need to actually watch some games. If you know hockey and actually watch games is been very obvious Chris is not been helping his team this year. I hope it changes since his play was a postive story for the Wings cup last year. Will it? we shall see.

You are talking about the same goal where the goal scorer was right next to Osgood with NO ONE to stop him? That goal?

#42 The Mule

The Mule

A Nightmare on Helm Street

• Silver Booster
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:47 PM

He's also won three Stanley Cups, and excuse me if I'm not pushing the panic button, but I'd much rather base my opinion on a lifetime of success as opposed to two months worth of play.

#43 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (OsGOD @ November 29, 2008 - 01:17PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
didn't they win last night by two? whats the big deal about the center ice goal/deflection?

I think it's obvious what the big deal is. That is not a remotely acceptable shot to surrender.

in the grand scheme of things Ozzie got 2 more points than Conk did against the habs... Right?

In the "grand scheme of things" the Wings scored 3 more goals against the BJs than they did the Habs... Games are won and lost based on the individual performance of players, and last night Ozzie was hit or miss. He has to play better.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#44 digitaljohn88

digitaljohn88

Sexy Wings!

• PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:05 PM

9-1-4.

The points equivalent of 11-3-0.

Ozzy needs to draw some games that will actually help his stats. Facing 16 SOG is just setting a goalie up for failure. Even if he had only let in 2, that's still a .875%

#45 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (Heroes of Hockeytown @ November 29, 2008 - 01:57PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's obvious what the big deal is. That is not a remotely acceptable shot to surrender.

In the "grand scheme of things" the Wings scored 3 more goals against the BJs than they did the Habs... Games are won and lost based on the individual performance of players, and last night Ozzie was hit or miss. He has to play better.

Meh maybe he will turn around and shut out the next game and win the series like he did the last time that happened to him... oh wait its just the regular season.. it meant s***!

You wanna know a goal that a goalie should have stopped was Hossa's gwg on donkey... OMG that was horrible.

I still think with the defensive gaff (and there was a ton of them last night) <--- the beauty of sitting in the zone where the wings attempt defense twice, you get to see a lot of problems.... Ozzie came up way huge... more times than he let in a bad goal.

Edited by OsGOD, 29 November 2008 - 02:34 PM.

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#46 CrossoverThrash

CrossoverThrash

Mine alien force overpower you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:33 PM

Turco has been far worse

#47 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (OsGOD @ November 29, 2008 - 02:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meh maybe he will turn around and shut out the next game and win the series like he did the last time that happened to him... oh wait its just the regular season.. it meant s***!

We ought to write off their defensive struggles too if the season is so meaningless.

You wanna know a goal that a goalie should have stopped was Hossa's gwg on donkey... OMG that was horrible
Hossa probably caught he by surprise, not anticipating the shot. He's scored three goals like that now just throwing the puck at the net from bad angles and fooling goalies.

I still think with the defensive gaff (and there was a ton of them last night) <--- the beauty of sitting in the zone where the wings attempt defense twice, you get to see a lot of problems.... Ozzie came up way huge... more times than he let in a bad goal.

I wasn't defending the Wings defensive play either, everyone has a lot of room to improve. But this is about Ozzie, so I'll say this about Ozzie: He needs to play better. He's capable of making great saves, he made several nice stops against the BJs, but you undermine all that if you turn around and give up a bad goal.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#48 wingslionstigers

wingslionstigers

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:06 PM

Osgood isn't playing any worse than he ever has. Osgood was never a spectacular goalie, hes a mediacore goaltender. Thats why hes paid like one. Detroit has kept Osgoods GAA down, not allowing real scoring chances only giving up weak shots from the outside. The scoring in the league is up right now everyones GAA is higher than average and on top of that Detroit has been giving up quite a few more scoring chances than they have last season.

#49 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (Heroes of Hockeytown @ November 29, 2008 - 02:49PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hossa probably caught he by surprise, not anticipating the shot. He's scored three goals like that now just throwing the puck at the net from bad angles and fooling goalies.

prolly the same surprise on the oz when the shot deflected in on him.

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#50 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (OsGOD @ November 29, 2008 - 03:08PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
prolly the same surprise on the oz when the shot deflected in on him.

I think you can appreciate the difference between a shot from 20 feet that surprises a goalie and a shot from 90 feet that marginally changes direction.

#51 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,909 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (Pucks @ November 29, 2008 - 09:34AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You mean like the rebound osgood dumped in front that got deposited in the net last night? I mean look at Tim
Thomas, he gives up alot of rebounds and most the time they dont cost him. He keeps most of them out of dangerous areas. The ones he can't he saves with his athletic ability and great lateral movement. Osgood can't afford to give up rebounds because he can't recover to make the next save anymore because he has no lateral movement. People who want to try to use stats to somehow give Osgood a pass need to actually watch some games. If you know hockey and actually watch games is been very obvious Chris is not been helping his team this year. I hope it changes since his play was a postive story for the Wings cup last year. Will it? we shall see.

That's a joke, right? He made a good save there. No goalie eats all rebounds.

That was a good timing play, or maybe dumb luck by Voracek. I fault Ozzy for the last two goals, but not that one.

#52 Saran

Saran

[[LGW]]

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:25 PM

the fact is is that osgood is not playing good enough. maybe not the worst in the league, but i personally think that its safe to say that our goaltending has been weak so far this year.

#53 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (Drake_Marcus @ November 29, 2008 - 09:58AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd trade Ozzie for Turco right now- only because Turco's a fairly young All-Star goalie that's struggling but is too damn talented to keep strugling. Incidentally, Ozzie's too talented and focused to maintain these poor numbers. He'll bounce back by the time April rolls around.

Fairly young? Todd Bertuzzi (same birth year) is fairly young?

Posted Image

#54 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,724 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:30 PM

Throughout his career Ozzie has played best when he's felt like he has a lot to prove as the underdog.

In 1998 he had to prove that he could lead this team to a Cup, and last year he had to prove that he was better than Hasek and could take the starting job from him and lead us all the way to another Cup, thus showing that he was still a solid goalie.

This year he hasn't had anything to prove, because he knows that he has the starting job no matter what. I'd actually bench him right now, just to light a fire under his ass. Ozzie just feels immune right now, and Babcock has got to change that.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#55 TheCaptain19

TheCaptain19

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:52 PM

i dont know about osgood feeling immune. with everything that has happened to him in his career he has to know that he is NEVER safe. especially with the way this season has gone so far and how well conks has played. im sure it's already in the back of his mind.

Edited by TheCaptain19, 29 November 2008 - 04:52 PM.

#56 Real1

Real1

I Could Have Never Happened

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:14 PM

Isn't Ozzie one of the reasons we won the cup last year? Hell Yeah.

Has he had his moments? Yes

Hasen't EVERY OTHER FREAKIN goalie had their monents? Hell Yeah.

Just let it go. He has one of the best records as a goalie and we have one of the best redords as a team. Everyone just shut up about how Ozzie sucks. He plays in the NHL for a reason.

EDIT - Just to help prove my point....
QUOTE (digitaljohn88 @ November 29, 2008 - 02:05PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
9-1-4.

The points equivalent of 11-3-0.

Ozzy needs to draw some games that will actually help his stats. Facing 16 SOG is just setting a goalie up for failure. Even if he had only let in 2, that's still a .875%

Edited by Real1, 29 November 2008 - 06:19 PM.

"the more you dream, the farther you get"

Like random things? Follow me on Twitter.

#57 AusWing13

AusWing13

Prospect

• 44 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE (digitaljohn88 @ November 30, 2008 - 06:05AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't get this comment. The whole point of a Sv% statistic is to take into account the number of shots to help a goalie's stats. For example, someone might let in 4 goals but if they were barraged with 60 shots that explains that the goalie was under pressure. 4 goals from 16 shots is terrible on the other hand and would be reflected in their Sv%.

High Sv% = stopping the majority of shots. Doesnt matter which games Ozzy draws his job is to stop the puck and while he is definitely a serviceable starter, he is not at a level where he can bail us out on a regular basis (heaven forbid if need be).

#58 digitaljohn88

digitaljohn88

Sexy Wings!

• PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE (AusWing13 @ November 29, 2008 - 10:14PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't get this comment. The whole point of a Sv% statistic is to take into account the number of shots to help a goalie's stats. For example, someone might let in 4 goals but if they were barraged with 60 shots that explains that the goalie was under pressure. 4 goals from 16 shots is terrible on the other hand and would be reflected in their Sv%.

High Sv% = stopping the majority of shots. Doesnt matter which games Ozzy draws his job is to stop the puck and while he is definitely a serviceable starter, he is not at a level where he can bail us out on a regular basis (heaven forbid if need be).

I agree with what you're saying, but my point was that if Ozzy had let in 2 in that game, with all the nice saves he made we would have considered it a good game, yet the stat sheet would show a .875 sv%.

#59 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE (wingslionstigers @ November 29, 2008 - 03:06PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Osgood isn't playing any worse than he ever has. Osgood was never a spectacular goalie, hes a mediacore goaltender. Thats why hes paid like one. Detroit has kept Osgoods GAA down, not allowing real scoring chances only giving up weak shots from the outside. The scoring in the league is up right now everyones GAA is higher than average and on top of that Detroit has been giving up quite a few more scoring chances than they have last season.

Uhm....he put up good numbers with the Isles and Blues, didn't he?

I agree he's not a best-ever goalie, but Ozzie has always been an above average, solid goaltender. He's having a rough start, but so is the team. Whenever one of the two gets their act together, the other one will, too. It's symbiotic and larger than a single player.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#60 maltbyrocks18

maltbyrocks18

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:54 AM

osgood is easily in the bottom ten i would say for the worst starters in the league. with that being said some may not remember we are in a salary cap world, and we have arguably the most talented team in the league. Instead of complaining we dont have luongo, look around at the goaltenders making osgoods wage and those are the realistic options for the team. i dont like ozzie, i never will, but even with that being said for the price of osgood and cap world we are in, there is not one goalie i could honestly say would be an upgrade from the man. He does a fine job for what he gets, and like last playoffs he even offers some steller goaltending when he gets hot. with a cap, the current red wings everbeing able to get a luongo would be like the patriots getting a L.Tomlinson. its just not possible. bottom line, osgood for the price he is at is the best value in america besides a 5 dollar hot n ready. thumbup.gif
respect all, but fear none.