91 replies to this topic

#61 Jocu

Jocu

zomg itz ian himself!

• PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:51 AM

START SIR CONKSALOT!

I'm goin' deeper underground. There's too much panic in this town.

#62 The Noodle 39

The Noodle 39

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:25 AM

QUOTE (OsGOD @ November 29, 2008 - 03:08PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
prolly the same surprise on the oz when the shot deflected in on him.

Dude Ozzie got smoked yet again by a center ice goal and i could really care less if hossa barely tipped it at the blue line lol! Ozzie is Ozzie he has no athleticsm and is not aggressive what so ever. To be a goalie you have to challenge and come out of the crease sometimes i love Ozzie as a person but he will always be an average goalie who played on some awesome Wings teams.

He is probably the most boring goalie i have ever watched play the game and thank god for Conklin cause i thought i was gonna be bored out of my mind this year with our goal tending when The Dominator retired.

We can win the cup with him in net like last year we just have to play great D and Ozzie will play better and it will boost his confidence.

Thank you Teeman!

#63 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 679 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (The Noodle 39 @ November 30, 2008 - 04:25AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude Ozzie got smoked yet again by a center ice goal and i could really care less if hossa barely tipped it at the blue line lol! Ozzie is Ozzie he has no athleticsm and is not aggressive what so ever. To be a goalie you have to challenge and come out of the crease sometimes i love Ozzie as a person but he will always be an average goalie who played on some awesome Wings teams.

He is probably the most boring goalie i have ever watched play the game and thank god for Conklin cause i thought i was gonna be bored out of my mind this year with our goal tending when The Dominator retired.

We can win the cup with him in net like last year we just have to play great D and Ozzie will play better and it will boost his confidence.

EDIT: Ok, I need to explain some lest I be accused of bad posts myself.

1) "Ozzie got smoked yet again by a center ice goal" -- Name the last time this happened in Ozzie's current Wings tenure. Name the time before that. See?

2) "he has no athleticsm" -- He has one of the best glove hands in the game. That doesn't come from booklearning. Just ask Jack Burton.

3) "i love Ozzie as a person" -- blink.gif

4) "He is probably the most boring goalie i have ever watched play the game and thank god for Conklin cause i thought i was gonna be bored out of my mind this year with our goal tending when The Dominator retired." -- Do I really need to comment on this? Jee-money!

I'm not saying the guy doesn't need to improve, nor am I a terrible Ozzie apologist... but this post was just over the top... bad.

Edited by Uncle Danny, 30 November 2008 - 04:53 AM.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#64 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,242 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (The Noodle 39 @ November 30, 2008 - 03:25AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't "average" Ozzie start in goal on the team that won a championship last season while another particular goalie was riding the bench?

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#65 2probert4

2probert4

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (GoWings1905 @ November 30, 2008 - 10:41AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't "average" Ozzie start in goal on the team that won a championship last season while another particular goalie was riding the bench?

Careful about attacking Ozzie on this site, some of the faithful here will jump you when you least expect it.....

#66 Real1

Real1

I Could Have Never Happened

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (2probert4 @ November 30, 2008 - 11:52AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Careful about attacking Ozzie on this site, some of the faithful here will jump you when you least expect it.....

Hey, the truth hurts some more than others.

"the more you dream, the farther you get"

Like random things? Follow me on Twitter.

#67 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (digitaljohn88 @ November 30, 2008 - 01:03AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with what you're saying, but my point was that if Ozzy had let in 2 in that game, with all the nice saves he made we would have considered it a good game, yet the stat sheet would show a .875 sv%.

If you are going to quote stats you need to understand what they mean. When a goalie lets in 2 out of 10 shots, he does have a 80% save rate but because the sample size is so low, the statistic is meaninless.

You need to look at 50 or 100 shots faced if you want to compare statistics and based on that, Ozzie is not having a very good start this year. But to look at 1 game is meaningless.

Do or do not. There is no try

#68 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (GoWings1905 @ November 30, 2008 - 11:41AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You bought into it hook line and sinker... thats exactly what they wanted you to believe.. it was actually the other goalie playing net wearing Osgood jersey... see... it wasn't ozzie at all that bailed us out from nashville on

QUOTE (Jocu @ November 30, 2008 - 02:51AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
START SIR CONKSALOT!

and we did and it appears he couldn't handle it either... oh well... its only our like 4th loss in regulation right? its cool

And considering he has 3 of our 4 losses... in less games played... he kinda doesn't give us the best chance to win...

Edited by OsGOD, 30 November 2008 - 02:04 PM.

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#69 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (Jocu @ November 30, 2008 - 01:51AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
START SIR CONKSALOT!

That idea didn't work well last night. tongue.gif

Although Conklin isn't the scapegoat/sole person to blame obviously. wink.gif

QUOTE (The Noodle 39 @ November 30, 2008 - 02:25AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again? As in the first time in like 10 years he let in a ceter ice goal?

If Osgood is a boring goalie, and boring helps win you a Stanley Cup like it did last year, I'll take boring every single time.

I'm fine with both the Wings goalies and trust both of them whenever they start. Pretty boring response as well but hey, sometimes being boring is good and gives you less heartburn.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 30 November 2008 - 02:18 PM.

#70 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (The Noodle 39 @ November 30, 2008 - 03:25AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be a goalie you have to challenge and come out of the crease sometimes i love Ozzie as a person but he will always be an average goalie who played on some awesome Wings teams.

LMAO... and yet your namesake was pulled after sucking behind that same great wings team... and relieved by the "average" goalie who marched on to win the cup... I get it... hasek will always be the best thing here...

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#71 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (digitaljohn88 @ November 30, 2008 - 01:03AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with what you're saying, but my point was that if Ozzy had let in 2 in that game, with all the nice saves he made we would have considered it a good game, yet the stat sheet would show a .875 sv%.

I still say that he should be stopping at least 15 of 16. There have been a few this season where Ozzie shoulda stopped the shot, but didnt. I feel like alot of them were turnovers too though.

QUOTE (OsGOD @ November 30, 2008 - 02:09PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LMAO... and yet your namesake was pulled after sucking behind that same great wings team... and relieved by the "average" goalie who marched on to win the cup... I get it... hasek will always be the best thing here...

For me... Hasek's retirement was the best day of my career as a wings fan tongue.gif

#72 TheUkrainian

TheUkrainian

The Ukrainian One

• PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:51 PM

If "osgood is the worst starting goalie in the league", then he has nowhere to go but up, considering he was backup last year. lol
I personally think he will get back to last years form, and will retire as a Wing. (backup to whoever we bring up from GR)
Our defense is still kinda choppy, and having them lost on the ice at times probably affects Ozzie/Conks. Once they get back to 100% I have a feeling our goal tending will as well.

BTW, has ozzie started wearing his new pads? I forgot that he was breaking them in, and was just wondering if he wore them in yesterdays game or not.

Have faith in the Wings. There's a reason people say stats go out the window once the playoffs starts. Hopefully Lilja gets some fight tutorials before the playoffs, if he's still here that is.
Wish List: Stanley Cup!
100% pure Ukranian

#73 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:58 PM

Seriously, I am as frustrated as any here about the play of Osgood so far. But...
How would your confidence be if you play one night and sit the next? How easy would it be to get into a rhythm, to feel like you're "the man", like he did in the playoffs last year?
My thought is he has to play, like 4 games in a row to Conk's one, if we want him to be the Number One and play like one. Playing goal in the NHL has got to mess with your head more than anything else. It might help if the coach wasn't messing with his head as well.
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! ™ - RETIRED 2012

#74 HenryMalredo

HenryMalredo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:10 PM

I am a little surprised at how many people felt it was guaranteed that Ozzie would be able to continue his play from the playoffs. Ozzie is a solid goalie and has put in a good career with Detroit, but he is not an elite goalie and he is certainly not a future hall of famer. He has always been maddeningly inconsistent. Sometimes he has an all-star caliber level of play, but sometimes he cannot be counted on, and he has always had a very tenuous hold on the starting job during his time in Detroit. This is not a post to call for the ousting of Ozzie as starter (Conklin and the guys in GR are the only options, so it is unlikely), but just to remind people to be realistic about the situation. Honestly, based on Ozzie's history, its just as equally likely that Ozzie heats up and backstops the Wings to the Stanley Cup, or he ends up sitting on the bench behind Conklin.

#75 Outsider

Outsider

Quitcha B*tchin' Wings Fans.....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (The Noodle 39 @ November 30, 2008 - 01:25AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AHAHAHAHAHA!!! Are you kidding me? You ARE kidding me, right?

Are you honestly sitting at your computer, typing your (apparently) expert opinion, regarding what it takes "to be a goalie", and attempting to apply THAT opinion to the obviously lacking career of an NHL goaltender, who is rapidly approaching 400 Career Victories, and has his name engraved on the Stanley Cup not once, not twice, but THRICE?

Dude.....let me allow that to sink in.....to really, truly sink in.....

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

You've missed your calling, Noodle. You shoulda been a comedian.

#76 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (chrisdetroit @ November 29, 2008 - 12:54PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yea, great, another measuring stick for us that we have to play at a disadvantage.

San Jose was a back-to back with travel in between and the 3rd game in 4 nights
Montreal was the first day back from a 10 game western Canadian trip
and now we get Boston in another back to back with travel in between

Who made this schedule?

And San Jose is only the team to beat in the regular season as in the past. I'll worry if they make it to the WCF. I think alot of people are looking at McClellan as their savior but that's a pretty tall order for a rookie head coach. He is dealing with a group that has underachieved in the playoffs 4 years in a row..

I had to look this up.

2004 Lost in WCF to Calgary
2005 lockout
2006 Lost in 2nd round to Oilers
2007 Lost in 2nd round to Wings
2008 Lost in 2nd round to Stars.

Pretty amazing...

You mean you think the Sharks only perform in the regular season and choke in the playoffs?

Hmm I think I've heard that argument before...

Maybe the sharks are too old too?

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#77 Outsider

Outsider

Quitcha B*tchin' Wings Fans.....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ November 30, 2008 - 12:04PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Again? As in the first time in like 10 years he let in a ceter ice goal?

Not quite 10 years. I can tell you the exact date Osgood last let in a center ice goal....

March 8, 2002, against......

The Columbus Blue Jackets, scored by Geoff Sanderson. Was the turning point in a personal slump he was in the midst of. He let in 3 goals on 6 shots in the first period. Rather than pull him, (as he'd been doing), Laviolette left him in there. He had a chat with him between periods 1 and 2. Oz didin't allow another goal that game. (4th goal was an EN). During the flight home, Lavi pulled Oz aside and told him that he was going to have to get his game in gear, because he was "our guy", and there was no need to look over his shoulder.

He did. He was lights out from that point on.

#78 j.hoop

j.hoop

i hate the flyers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:31 PM

sidenote: anyone notice FLA of all teams spanked the rags 4-0? at MSG nonetheless!! laugh.gif

that paired with flyers getting dominated by the Leafs last night makes our loss not so painful to me
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” - Sophocles
Posted Image

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.

#79 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (j.hoop @ November 30, 2008 - 03:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sidenote: anyone notice FLA of all teams spanked the rags 4-0? at MSG nonetheless!! laugh.gif

that paired with flyers getting dominated by the Leafs last night makes our loss not so painful to me

Exactly. One loss in November means nothing. When April comes, no one will even remeber it.

Do or do not. There is no try

#80 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (Outsider @ November 30, 2008 - 03:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
During the flight home, Lavi pulled Oz aside and told him that he was going to have to get his game in gear, because he was "our guy", and there was no need to look over his shoulder.

He did. He was lights out from that point on.

So when is Babcock going to have that chat with Oz? He needs to know he is the man to play well. (In MY Opinion)
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! ™ - RETIRED 2012