• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
crazy13

Hossa's Motor City gig might be just revving up

Rate this topic

Marian Hossa's stay in the Motor City might very well turn out to be more than a one-year stint.

While the thinking around the NHL is that the Red Wings are only going to be able to keep two of their three high-profile UFAs -- Henrik Zetterberg, Johan Franzen and Hossa -- next summer, there's a chance Hossa could stay in Detroit.

Though no formal contract talks can be held with Hossa until January, league sources told Sun Media that Detroit GM Ken Holland has indicated he wants to keep Hossa.

It would be easy to rule out Hossa's return because the belief is the Wings can't afford him if they sign Zetterberg and Franzen, but don't forget this is a guy who took a one-year, $7.45-million (all terms US) deal at less than market value because he wanted the chance to win a Stanley Cup in Detroit this season.

If Hossa was the type of player who just takes the money and runs, then he would have grabbed the long-term extension the Penguins offered him in the summer.

Instead, Hossa has shown he's not just motivated by the almighty dollar, which means staying in Detroit is possible.

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hockey/200...580281-sun.html

That article says nothing and means nothing. Holland wants to keep him? Great. I'm sure Holland would like to trade Kopecky for Ovechkin straight up as well. And Hossa is going to re-sign on the cheap just because he did last year? Last year and this year are two totally different scenarios.

People are forgetting that Hossa signed here because WE RETAINED OUR ENTIRE CUP-WINNING ROSTER. In order to retain Hossa, we're going to have to get rid of at least a few guys. Not to mention, if we don't do well in the playoffs this year, you think thats gonna motivate him to take a paycut again? "Well, Marian, we lost in the 2nd round and have to trade assets just to fit everyone under the cap, but we're still willing to offer you a few million less than you'd make on the open market.."

Get your head out of the clouds. Accepting that he'll be a Wing for one year only will save you the disappointment when he goes somewhere else.

That article says nothing and means nothing. Holland wants to keep him? Great. I'm sure Holland would like to trade Kopecky for Ovechkin straight up as well. And Hossa is going to re-sign on the cheap just because he did last year? Last year and this year are two totally different scenarios.

People are forgetting that Hossa signed here because WE RETAINED OUR ENTIRE CUP-WINNING ROSTER. In order to retain Hossa, we're going to have to get rid of at least a few guys. Not to mention, if we don't do well in the playoffs this year, you think thats gonna motivate him to take a paycut again? "Well, Marian, we lost in the 2nd round and have to trade assets just to fit everyone under the cap, but we're still willing to offer you a few million less than you'd make on the open market.."

Get your head out of the clouds. Accepting that he'll be a Wing for one year only will save you the disappointment when he goes somewhere else.

but he says he likes it here :yowza:

It'd be nice but I'm not going to anticipate him staying. I'll have the same mentality this offseason towards him as I did last offseason and I'll be just as surprised if he resigns.

Your screen name is henrik40 so im guessing your a huge Zetterberg fan. You do realize if Hossa stays in Detroit that means Zetterberg is gone right?

I love how everyone says it will never happen...Is it likely? NO. But you people are probably the same fans saying it would never happen the first time. If Hossa's presence here has taught you anything well then it should have taught you to never say never.

Luckily we have a few guys we can get rid of, sign people of equivalent skill for cheaper.

Kopecky, Filpulla, Lebda, etc.

I love how everyone says it will never happen...Is it likely? NO. But you people are probably the same fans saying it would never happen the first time. If Hossa's presence here has taught you anything well then it should have taught you to never say never.

Its not that its not possible, its that the probability is extremely slim. Did any of us think it was possible to sign him in the first place? Didn't really cross anyones mind. But the difference last summer to next summer is that last summer the Wings had $7.45 mil in capspace lying around, next summer they won't.

Hey, I want Hossa to stay as much as everyone else, but I'm not going to let rampant speculation convince me its a good chance when its not and then think the sky is falling when it doesn't happen (see: Pittsburgh Penguins fans)

Guest Shoreline

To me he's still a rental, as this was his premise on signing with the team. My expectations is he goes. If he wants to stay, good for him, but he better be willing to do more of the sacrificing the rest of the team does salary-wise.

If you look at my first post I am not doing that either. I am taking a wait and see attitude. Which is what I suggest everyone do. Most of the posts seem to be very negative to me. Let's see where the chips fall come June.

The way this season has gone so far, I'm starting to be more inclined to see Zetterberg leave and keep Hossa and Franzen. I love all three of them, but Zetterberg seems to be pretty selfish with the puck this year, and it has often lead to a turnover, or losing the offensive zone at the least. Franzen is a true powerforward and that is such a rare breed in this age that I could easily see him earning as much as Zetterberg in the right market. Hossa, I believe is better than anyone else on the team, so I would rather keep him above any other option.

Edit: nevermind I'm speaking out of anger. I would rather have Z than Franzen. But I would definitely rather have Hossa than Z.

Edited by Echolalia

The way this season has gone so far, I'm starting to be more inclined to see Zetterberg leave and keep Hossa and Franzen. I love all three of them, but Zetterberg seems to be pretty selfish with the puck this year, and it has often lead to a turnover, or losing the offensive zone at the least. Franzen is a true powerforward and that is such a rare breed in this age that I could easily see him earning as much as Zetterberg in the right market. Hossa, I believe is better than anyone else on the team, so I would rather keep him above any other option.

Edit: nevermind I'm speaking out of anger. I would rather have Z than Franzen. But I would definitely rather have Hossa than Z.

I definitely wouldn't. Hossa was invisible for the first 5 games, despite playing with the better linemates, isnt as good defensively, and went through a 4 or 5 game lull where he did nothing more than score an empty netter recently. Up until CBJ, he was pretty ineffective for a handful of games. Zetterberg, on the other hand, has been putting up points on a consistent basis. Hes also playing with the lesser linemates. Franzen can't get an assist for the life of him and while Sammy has been playing well, hes not an incredibly skilled guy. Overall, the 2nd line hasn't had much chemistry, and you can't fault Z for that.

10 games ago when Hossa was on fire, I could see your point, but Zetterberg has been the only one giving a full effort every night over the entire season so far.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Wow, it's like people already forgot what Zetterberg did last year.

Hossa has been great, so far, but any Red Wings fan knows the backbone of this organization is its loyalty. Hossa will be on their list to re-sign for sure, but that's not until Zetterberg, Franzen, and Hudler are dealt with first.

I'm thinking there will only be enough money to re-sign Zetterberg and Franzen. Hossa will be let go and Hudler will have to be traded or signed away with a RFA contract offer from another team.

Guest CaliWingsNut

With the cap possibly going down next season, the best financial decision in my opinion would be to lock up the big guys and risk tanking the next year w/ a stocked high end team, relieved by a bunch of newbies. Then when the cap rises again, we will have both developed talent and room for better low seed players.

Given the choice of two between Hossa, Franzen, and Hank...

I choose Hossa and Franzen.

Before you jump down my throat, let me explain.

It's a simple numbers game, and no salary isn't the number I'm looking at.

What it boils down to really is a choice between Hossa and Hank. They are about the same age, very comparable defensively and offensively, and both work really well with Datsyuk.

So why Hossa? It's really simple. The number I'm looking at is games played. Hossa doesn't have the health issues that Hank does. Taking that a step further, the health issues that Hank has that I'm not concerned with is that with his back. A back is not something that you just play through, it doesn't just go away, and it can cripple a player.

Look no further than Bert for an example.

Hossa will give you more games, and most likely, a longer career. He is the better investment, assuming Hank and Hossa command similar salaries (which is very likely).

It's such a cliche' but it's so true - this is a business. More often than not, you have to listen to your head, and ignore your heart. It's almost never what have you done for me, and it's always what have you done for me lately.

All things aside, Hank and Hossa are both elite players. Hossa just doesn't have the foreseeable injury woes than Hank does.

Plain.

And.

Simple.