• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DRWExaminer

Is Osgood Hall of Fame worthy

Rate this topic

Personally, I don't really see him as a Hall of Famer. To me, a Hall of Famer is a guy who dominated his sport and was considered one of the best at his respective position over an extended period of time. Osgood was a Vezina finalist, if I'm not mistaken, one time. However, one more Cup and I think you have to put him in. A goalie with four Cups, three as the starter, with 400+ wins and in the top ten all-time in wins would be extremely hard to keep out.

I used to believe Osgood would lose out on HoF voting because of the idea he was fronted by great defenses. Last season's Cup and Jennings Trophy closed that argument for me. He has won me over and I feel he should definitely make the Hall after the career he has put forth.

No. Has had trouble throughout his career keeping the starting job and doesn't have a great reputation throughout the hockey media. The Cups are nice, but won't be enough. Borderline guys like Kevin Lowe and Claude Lemieux have a lot of Cups, but neither will see the inside of the HHOF unless they buy a ticket.

Guest Shoreline

He's proven himself useful individually and on a team. Won what, 2 cups as a starter? He's closing in on Vernon in goalie wins and, given that everyone above Vernon is in the HOF, if Ozzy passes him, there will be really no excuse to keep him out, as Ozzy's cup stints were rather far apart showing he's had a pretty consistent career in getting it done.

There will be players before Ozzy, unless it's a rather short list, so I don't imagine he will get inducted on the first try.

As of right now, no he doesn't get it. The problem with Osgood isn't that his stats aren't good enough to get in, it's that he doesn't get the respect necessary to get it.

In order for Osgood to get into the HHOF he will need to end his career with 400+ wins, 75+ playoff wins (btw sitting at 59 playoff wins, Ozzie would hit 75 with just 16 more :lookaround: ), a few more shutouts wouldn't hurt, and his last season needs to be a really solid one.

IMHO, Osgood, based on stats alone, should be a no-brainer. It's too bad there is any room for debate with this question at all.

I just realized I don't know much about what goes into picking hall of famers. I know there is a committee, but is there a formal process? Or is it a bunch of hockey buffs sitting around shooting the s***? Can anyone provide some insight?

Because I think the more subjective it is, the less Ozzie has a chance to get in, for obvious reasons.

I just realized I don't know much about what goes into picking hall of famers. I know there is a committee, but is there a formal process? Or is it a bunch of hockey buffs sitting around shooting the s***? Can anyone provide some insight?

Because I think the more subjective it is, the less Ozzie has a chance to get in, for obvious reasons.

There is a committee, and they vote. Basically, a person has to get nominated, and then receive something like 76% of votes to get in. I think only 4 players can get in each year, and there is a time period that they have to wait after retirement before they are eligible.

not a chance

Hall of Famers are supposed to be the best of best, Ozzie never was top3 goalie in the league. He is not even close to Roy, Hasek and other (future) HoFers.

Edited by Reds4Life

Guest Shoreline

Besides the two cups, and a good deal apart at that, Ozzy moving himself up on the Wins column would certainly give himself a shot. To me, passing Vernon would seal it for him, but I doubt would still get him in the HOF on the first try.

Is Osgood Hall of Fame worthy? Yes.

Should his numbers alone get him in? In all likelihood, but public perception will probably be against him getting in, and that's a shame.

Will he get in? I don't know.

Will it ruin my weekend if he doesn't get in? No.

Do I want him to get in? Yes.

If it were up to me, he is not there yet. His current stats trouble me because they frankly suck when he is playing behind a less than stellar defense. Plenty of time to bounce back tough, and I hope he has a few more years to pile on the wins and hopefully another Cup. If he wins three Cups as a starter, along with all his wins, I do not think he will be kept out.

I used to believe Osgood would lose out on HoF voting because of the idea he was fronted by great defenses. Last season's Cup and Jennings Trophy closed that argument for me. He has won me over and I feel he should definitely make the Hall after the career he has put forth.

So, just by that statement, Martin Broduer should not get into the HHOF.

As of right now, no he doesn't get it. The problem with Osgood isn't that his stats aren't good enough to get in, it's that he doesn't get the respect necessary to get it.

In order for Osgood to get into the HHOF he will need to end his career with 400+ wins, 75+ playoff wins (btw sitting at 59 playoff wins, Ozzie would hit 75 with just 16 more :lookaround: ), a few more shutouts wouldn't hurt, and his last season needs to be a really solid one.

IMHO, Osgood, based on stats alone, should be a no-brainer. It's too bad there is any room for debate with this question at all.

His stats for the year? Or career? At his current winning percentage (.548), he will have 89 more wins than Glenn Hall, just behind Broduer (where he is now), and 12 ahead of Roy. He should move into the top 10 all time by the end of the year barring injury or a crappy year.

Not HOF material IMO, does not matter what his stats are!

And why not? Isn't that what gets you into the HHOF? His win percentage, cup rings and even his GAA is comparable to Broduer's. He may give a 1/4 per game more than Broduer, Broduer played on a team that relied on "D" more than scoring goals.

Ozzie belongs in the HHOF due to his career stats. Who cares if he played on good teams. So did Gretzky, Kurri, Howe, Lindsey, Messier and the list goes on.

If it were up to me, he is not there yet. His current stats trouble me because they frankly suck when he is playing behind a less than stellar defense. Plenty of time to bounce back tough, and I hope he has a few more years to pile on the wins and hopefully another Cup. If he wins three Cups as a starter, along with all his wins, I do not think he will be kept out.

Getting in or not is not based on 20 games in any one season.

Wow, I'm glad we've never had this thread before. :rolleyes:

The answer at this point is still no. If he doesn't scream hall of famer to me, then I don't think he should be in the HOF.

Honestly, Ozzie doesn't scream Hall of Famer to anyone other than Wings fans. That means that he shouldn't be in the HOF, because Wings fans are obviously biased, and we're not the ones that are going to be voting anyway. For most non-Wings fans, the answer to this question is an easy NO!

As much as I like the guy as a person (this actually matters with voters to some degree) and as a player, my answer is no.

It is difficult to argue against some of his career stats, but save percentage and GAA is really hard to compare across eras and wins is really a function of the team more than anything else. I truly believe that a goalie's stats (especially wins) are more impacted by the team than other players' stats are impacted. This year is another great example of that. Osgood has not played well at all, yet his winning percentage is excellent, because the team has been good enough to win.

That said, you could probably say similar things about all the great goalies (such as Roy and Brodeur for example). But I'd be willing to bet (without researching, certainly would be the case for Roy and Brodeur), they have other accomplishments to back up HOF worthiness. Osgood has no real individual awards, has only been an allstar twice in his career, etc. Perhaps some of that is because onlookers simply overlooked his stats, but I have to be lumped in with those that simply didn't feel he was an elite goalie in this league and I don't know how you put someone like that in the hall of fame simply because they have a great win total and some cups, which to me, are more a function of the team.

So, just by that statement, Martin Broduer should not get into the HHOF.

His stats for the year? Or career? At his current winning percentage (.548), he will have 89 more wins than Glenn Hall, just behind Broduer (where he is now), and 12 ahead of Roy. He should move into the top 10 all time by the end of the year barring injury or a crappy year.

And why not? Isn't that what gets you into the HHOF? His win percentage, cup rings and even his GAA is comparable to Broduer's. He may give a 1/4 per game more than Broduer, Broduer played on a team that relied on "D" more than scoring goals.

Ozzie belongs in the HHOF due to his career stats. Who cares if he played on good teams. So did Gretzky, Kurri, Howe, Lindsey, Messier and the list goes on.

Are you really comparing Osgood to Brodeur, Gretzky, Kurri, Howe, Lindsey and Messier? Osgood is not in the same book as those guys you mentioned, he's shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. Osgood is at best a mediocre goalie achieving good stats for playing on great teams... just as our currently bloated record doesn't truly show how our team is playing niether does Osgood's for similar reasons.