• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
IUWingsFan

Possible Goalie Controversy of Another Kind?

Rate this topic

We all know Ozzie and Conklin need to pick up the play, no matter who's in net. Hopefully it happens, and the two guys we have in Grand Rapids will only need to be called up to give these guys a little break later in the year. Last year, the Wings called up Jimmy Howard in the middle of February, and he played in 4 games, starting two. He played very well, posting a .926 save percentage in those four games.

However, some argue though that Daniel Larsson is now our primary goalie prospect. He outplayed Howard in camp, and is now doing so in Grand Rapids this season, posting a shutout against the Wolves on the road the other day.

Bottom line, when the time comes later in the year to call one of these guys up, whether for injury, or for rest for Conks and Ozzie, which goalie should the Wings call up? These are their stats from Grand Rapids this year...

GP W L SV % SO

Howard 13 5 5 .895 0

Larsson 12 7 2 .910 2

Edited by IUWingsFan

I would definately agree that Larsson is our primary goalie prospect at the moment, but should Ozzie or Conklin get hurt, I suspect that Howard will get the call up. Larsson is still pretty raw, extremely young, and this is his first season in North America. Howard has been around the NHL before and has played well up here. Not to mention, the whole "loyalty" factor that we associate with the Wings. Howard has "paid his dues," if you will.

Just to add fuel to the fire, we have our first round draft pick Tom McCollum tearing up the OHL right now. Obviously, he couldn't be called up, but one could make the argument that Howard is the #3 goalie prospect in our system. Depends how you grade a prospect, I suppose. If potential to make an impact is your #1 quality, as it is with me, McCollum would be ahead of Howard; if you value proximity to the NHL, Howard would be ahead. Anyways, it's pretty nice to be able to say that a goalie like Howard is only our #3 goalie prospect. A very good problem.

It's really frustrating year by year expecting so much from Howard... It's tough to say if he'll ever be a starting NHL goalie, at least for the Wings. I'll just hope McCollum comes in hot.

getting a unique perspective on things, I can honestly say that Larsson has certainly showed his stuff almost all season (cept for that really bad night against milwaukee early on) But I do admit, when Jimmy is on, he is amazing, Friday night against Chicago the Wolves had a 1:47 of a 5 on 3 and Jimmy stood absolutely on his head turning aside at least 5-6 golden scoring chances in that span.

Overall The record is a bit decieving but I do think we are blessed with two great goalies in GR...

The thing that both need to work on is keeping focus....the both do seem to have momentary lapses every now and then...

Edited by CapnSmitty

What are the chances of seeing Larsson play a few games in Detroit this year? He is the first goalie in our system that I am excited to see play and he seems to be doing a great job adjusting to the NA style of game.