• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bogeygolfer

Bobby Ryan

Rate this topic

if you made this thread in like 3,4,5 years and he still hasn't done "much", then maybe you can call him a bust. He has done the best he can so far with what he's been given, give him some time I am sure he will be a productive top6 forward in years to come. This thread is disgustingly premature.

Like some of our more esteemed colleagues have already pointed out, Franzen is damned near 30 years old already. He's a very hard working player who is riding a ridiculous hot streak.

But Bobby Ryan is still a top flight prospect. He's barely had time to get his feet wet in the NHL and he's already looking pretty good from the games I have watched. He's getting more confident and using his abilities more this year.

He's big and he can play with a little bit of bite. He's got a true scoring touch and will likely develop into a true power forward.

He's younger, he's cheaper and his potential is still enormously high.

I don't know that I would trade Mule for him right now as Mule brings more to the table this season. But beyond this year, I'd swap him for Ryan in a heartbeat.

This is like the Hossa versus Mule debate. It is meaningless. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Mule is a 29 year old established player who looks like he is going to be a 35-40 goal scorer and he is going to go for 3-4 mil. This Bobby Ryan guy is a 19-20 year old very talented prospect who hasn't played in the NHL. He is worth maybe a mil a year right now. Sure he has great potential but so di alot of people. Some made it some didn't.

You can't compare the two. An established 35-40 goal scorer who is probably at his peak or a young prospect who might be even better.

10 out of 10 gm's? I don't think so. It depends what the gm's are looking for. Another young prospect on say the Blackhawks isn't going to help. They need established players.

It's never as simple as you make it out to be.

Mule is a 29 year old established player who looks like he is going to be a 35-40 goal scorer and he is going to go for 3-4 mil.

If he scores 40 goals, you think he's going to go for $3-4 million? Suuuuuuure. Only if his agent has mittens pinned to his coat all year 'round.

Open market, $6 million as a bare minimum, probably $7 million in the end.

If he scores 40 goals, you think he's going to go for $3-4 million? Suuuuuuure. Only if his agent has mittens pinned to his coat all year 'round.

Open market, $6 million as a bare minimum, probably $7 million in the end.

if he stays on the wings he will take a discount, its a proven fact

if he stays on the wings he will take a discount, its a proven fact

Which is why I said he would get that on the open market.

However, I doubt he'll take a 50% reduction to stay. Unlike some guys, he hasn't been making millions for years. This is his one and only chance to hit the jackpot. I don't think he's going to sign for $3.5 million or something.

He's 29, he's never made more than $900,000 and change in a season. He doesn't have the luxury of having millions in the bank like a Hossa or Datsyuk. He's got a chance to cash in in a big way. He won't get another opportunity to get a big contract.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Bobby Ryan is playing really well now that he is actually getting consistent PT. There is no way you can call the guy a bust.

As for Franzen, I think he's gonna stay. The Wings gave him his pro opportunity, he's happy here, the Swedish contingent is obviously a plus and he will have the chance to win each year. I think he'll sign for $4 million per.

6 points in 7 games is downright awful. You make the comparison to Cogliano. Cogliano has 10 points in over 20 games (22 or 23) and Ryan has six in seven. Maybe my math is a little rusty, but I'm pretty sure that makes Ryan's production better than Cogliano's.

Ryan was #2 or #3 on pretty well every draft list. He and Jack Johnson flipped-flopped.

Besides, power forwards always take a little longer to develop.

HEY! You take your opinions based on fact and you bundle them up with your logic and remarkable general hockey knowledge and YOU GET THE HELL OUT.

Bobby Ryan is playing really well now that he is actually getting consistent PT. There is no way you can call the guy a bust.

As for Franzen, I think he's gonna stay. The Wings gave him his pro opportunity, he's happy here, the Swedish contingent is obviously a plus and he will have the chance to win each year. I think he'll sign for $4 million per.

Look, if Franzen signs for 4 million per it's going to be based on some insane level of job security (like DiPietro job security).

I'll mail Holland a freaking cake if he can sign Franzen for under 5 million.

Look, if Franzen signs for 4 million per it's going to be based on some insane level of job security (like DiPietro job security).

I'll mail Holland a freaking cake if he can sign Franzen for under 5 million.

I agree. It would have to be a 10 year deal or something with a high salary to start with, which depreciates over the course of the deal.

Franzen simply isn't in a position to take less money. He's got to make off like a bandit while he can. Like I said, this is his only opportunity to do so. Given the potential of a declining cap in two years, he's got to cash in now.

Edited by MacK_Attack

I agree. It would have to be a 10 year deal or something with a high salary to start with, which depreciates over the course of the deal.

Franzen simply isn't in a position to take less money. He's got to make off like a bandit while he can. Like I said, this is his only opportunity to do so. Given the potential of a declining cap in two years, he's got to cash in now.

And the worst part is his agent was a complete JACKAL last time they had to sign Franzen. The Wings struggled to get him for $900,000 as a checking forward. I shudder to think what his agent is telling Johan right now.

I will take the Mule present over Ryan's potential any day of the week. I live for guys who can help us win a cup now. Thats the philosopy of this team...win now and ask questions later. We dont rebuild..we reload. Potential is exactly what it is..potential...no one can look into a crystal ball and tell me Ryan is gonna score 40 goals in this league but right now I can tell you that the Mule will score 35-40 goals this year !!

I will take the Mule present over Ryan's potential any day of the week. I live for guys who can help us win a cup now. Thats the philosopy of this team...win now and ask questions later. We dont rebuild..we reload. Potential is exactly what it is..potential...no one can look into a crystal ball and tell me Ryan is gonna score 40 goals in this league but right now I can tell you that the Mule will score 35-40 goals this year !!

Actually, the Wings' philosophy appears to be somewhat based on paying for potential. Datsyuk wasn't worth the contract at the time of signing, neither was Kronwall, I don't think Filppula is quite worth the $3 million yet either....I could go on

If today, the 'Wings had a trade on the table, Ryan for Franzen, I'd drive Mule to the airport. Bobby Ryan is already putting up great numbers, and he's only going to get better. It wouldn't be worth it yet, but Ryan isn't even in his prime, whereas Mule is going to be on his way down in a few years.

Also, anyone who thinks Franzen is going to take 4M is nuts. Ryder signed a 4M/year contract after scoring 31 points in 70 games last year (although he did have a 30 goal season the year before). Franzen is on pace for almost 40 goals, and over 60 points. Some crazy GM is bound to throw 5-6M at him. Hell, in today's NHL, guys like Redden can score long-term, 6.5M/year contracts.

If today, the 'Wings had a trade on the table, Ryan for Franzen, I'd drive Mule to the airport. Bobby Ryan is already putting up great numbers, and he's only going to get better. It wouldn't be worth it yet, but Ryan isn't even in his prime, whereas Mule is going to be on his way down in a few years.

Also, anyone who thinks Franzen is going to take 4M is nuts. Ryder signed a 4M/year contract after scoring 31 points in 70 games last year (although he did have a 30 goal season the year before). Franzen is on pace for almost 40 goals, and over 60 points. Some crazy GM is bound to throw 5-6M at him. Hell, in today's NHL, guys like Redden can score long-term, 6.5M/year contracts.

I'd take Ryan over Mule. The cap is coming down so you're going to see more nervous GMs and money is going to be tight and over the next few years wehn the cap continues to go down you're going to see a lot less "crazy" offers for players and see much lower contracts.

Ryan is doing pretty good with the 24 games he's gotten under his belt this season. Give him some more time in the NHL to develop and see before. Dats and Zet took sometime to become the players they are today and I for one was a promoter of trading them early when they were taring up the reg season and then becoming ghosts in the play offs... thank God I am not calling the shots because look what we'd be missing out on and they took some good time to develop.