• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

PROBIE4PREZ

Avery comments & suspension

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline

6 game suspension, and well earned, I guess. Good for the Stars in taking the high road, even if it may be making Avery into a scapegoat. They had some momentum going into that Calgary game, and Avery's antics distracted the team. Being a player, he is not above the team, he made a stupid decision, and paid for it. If he never plays again for Dallas, the Stars made a great choice.

Edited by Shoreline

Actually, sloppy seconds is gender neutral, A girl could say the exact same thing about a guy. I do not find the term misogynistic at all. I guess it's all in how you received the statement, but to me he was just trying to bring attention to himself and the game. Even if it is offensive, does it really deserve a suspension? I mean come on, way worse has been said than this over the history of the NHL.

Come on man, it's hardly gender neutral. The person you quoted had a pretty apt description of what it means and how it's used. Sure you could call a guy that, but it's kind of like calling a guy a ****. Not quite the same thing.

He wasn't trying to bring attention to the game. He was trying to bring attention to himself.

I think 6 games is too much, but the fact that worse has been said isn't a valid justification for letting this go.

Based on the TSN poll, more than 50% think it's not enough.

That's surprising to me. especially when you consider that 27% thinks the suspension was enough. So based on current numbers (52% think it's not enough now), that's 79% who think Avery should have been suspended 6 games or longer.

It'll be interesting to see where the numbers even out at once the poll has been up a while.

I've never been in the Red Wings locker room (cue dream sequence) but do veterans make that much of a difference? I'd think each team has their share of veterans that command respect. The Wings fan in me wants to say of course people like Stevie and Lids and Cheli and Bowman are so awe-inspiring that you wouldn't dare step out of line in their presence. My "objective" half feels like if the Dallas veterans wanted, they could control him.

Who's the veteran to step up and control him? Modano? :lol:

Edited by esteef

Guest GordieSid&Ted
That's surprising to me. especially when you consider that 27% thinks the suspension was enough. So based on current numbers (52% think it's not enough now), that's 79% who think Avery should have been suspended 6 games or longer.

It'll be interesting to see where the numbers even out at once the poll has been up a while.

Going back to the under the bus commentary. I think the Stars would be more inclined to back Avery up if they were sitting on a record more like ours or the Sharks.

I agree with some of the posters who've already commented that the Stars dressing room has to be a mess and frankly, they Stars players whether intentionally or not are probably breathing a sigh of relief in a weird way that Avery has given people something to talk about and perhaps something to insinuate that the reason for their troubles is Avery.

Frankly, the Stars have injury trouble, goaltending trouble, their offensive guys are not firing on all cylinders like they should and Avery is IMO hardly the problem for their play on the ice. Yes, Avery's goal numbers are down, but the so are alot of the Stars. But he did have 10 points in 23 games. Which translates to around a 35 point season which is where he's been on average for the past 4 years.

I would argue he was doing his job on the ice. I would also argue that he was trying to do his job off of it. He isn't the first player i've seen say something they should not have. Personally, had this come from another player I think it would actually be worse. But coming from Avery, I expect this kind of stuff and figure it to be part of his MO and think he truly meant it simply to rile up Phaneuf and cause a stir and didn't mean it in some literal fashion that has upset so many people. I go back to what Craig Conroy said, "i think he was trying to be himself, trying to be funny...but it wasn't funny"

I still don't think its such a big deal and the league didn't do itself any favors by not letting him play in that game. He and the drama he built up were the only reasons to watch that game.

Come on man, it's hardly gender neutral. The person you quoted had a pretty apt description of what it means and how it's used. Sure you could call a guy that, but it's kind of like calling a guy a ****. Not quite the same thing.

He wasn't trying to bring attention to the game. He was trying to bring attention to himself.

I think 6 games is too much, but the fact that worse has been said isn't a valid justification for letting this go.

Whatever, I disagree on the gender neutral thing, but I'm not going to get into an arguement about that. 6 Games is WAY too much. This league is a joke with its suspensions and how they magically determine a number.

I agree with some of the posters who've already commented that the Stars dressing room has to be a mess and frankly, they Stars players whether intentionally or not are probably breathing a sigh of relief in a weird way that Avery has given people something to talk about and perhaps something to insinuate that the reason for their troubles is Avery.

No s***! That's the first thing he should say when (if) he goes back into the dressing room, "You're Welcome for getting the media off of your sucky asses for a week!"

esteef

Edited by esteef

I personally think it is simply because Avery is almost universally hated. He could have flicked a booger at a reporter, been suspended for life and a lot of people would think it wasn't enough. He's getting a bum deal because he is a jackass and no one wants to come out and defend a jackass. I would honestly have a tough time defending Pronger if he was suspended for a legal hit. I'd probably think "he had it coming" at first.

Most people think the suspension is apropriate given Avery's past actions, but that bothers me as well. What exactly has he done that is so bad, asides from being a jackass no one likes?

He has never been suspended by the league for anything, in over 6 NHL seasons.

He is not a dirty or cheap player out to injure anyone.

He called Iginla boring.

He called Brodeur a fatso.

He has yelled back at heckling fans.

He challenged the NHL's marketing.

He got into a pre-game, on-ice altercation with Darcy Tucker.

He stereotyped visor-wearing, french canadians.

He screened Brodeur with his hands.

(I did not list the accusations of some of his on-ice insults, because they are unsubstanciated and his altercations with teamates are best handled by the team, not the NHL.)

"So what?" is my reaction to all of them. The NHL obviously felt not a single one of them warranted a suspension, but I think it is apparent he was on "probation" because of them. There is no way another player in the NHL, without Avery's past, would be met with such a stiff punishment. I'm sorry but none of those incidents, or all of them combined, warrant the pile-on Avery was just given. Looking at them objectively now, I would welcome a player like that in the NHL, just to spice things up a bit. Unfortunately, that player hapens to be pretty unlikeable as a person and a teamate and I think that has more to do with his current suspension than the actual incident itself, or his past infractions.

Bettman wants to pile it on because he feels Avery degrades the NHL.

Dallas wants to pile it on because he is a bad teamate and they want to get out of signing him to a bad contract.

Fans want to pile it on because he is a jackass.

This is not someone like Chris Simon or Ron Hextall with serious issues who could be a legitimate danger to others on the ice, and requiring anger management classes is ridiculous.

It just really bothers me, and I hope the NHL does not start coming down on other players who have been known to speak their minds and make things interesting. That is not the NHL I want to see, and I will defend a repugnant pig like Avery so that it does not happen.

Guest nutz2u

Really, I think what he said is disgusting, but 6 GAMES??????????????????????? Dick wad Pronger gets 1 game for trying to put Homers' head through the glass, the NHL is a f***IN JOKE.

I had sloppy seconds last night!!!!!

i was drunk and there was left over sloppy joes in the fridge... somebody suspend me! I think i offended the meat!

Guest GordieSid&Ted
I had sloppy seconds last night!!!!!

i was drunk and there was left over sloppy joes in the fridge... somebody suspend me! I think i offended the meat!

Found an interesting article on not so nice relationships in the NFL on yahoo today. I wonder if some of the things these guys are on record saying would fly in the NHL.

I'm a sorta/kinda football fan but don't get into it a lot so the Hines Ward hits and fines thing is news to me. I watched some of the clips. Can any die hard football fans here explain to me why the hits Ward through weren't penalized? I watched the clip and it appeared to me that he hit Ed Reed by throwing a head first, helmet first, helmet to helmet hit and I thought that was a no-no football. Can anybody clarify for me?

Anyway, here's the article

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-b...o&type=lgns

I'm a sorta/kinda football fan but don't get into it a lot so the Hines Ward hits and fines thing is news to me. I watched some of the clips. Can any die hard football fans here explain to me why the hits Ward through weren't penalized? I watched the clip and it appeared to me that he hit Ed Reed by throwing a head first, helmet first, helmet to helmet hit and I thought that was a no-no football. Can anybody clarify for me?

You can't take headshots on quarterbacks because they bring home the NFL's bacon and so the league obsesses over their safety. You can hit anyone else as a tackle or block in pretty much any way you'd imagine, but the circumstances of a wide receiver blocking downfield are fairly unique in that the blocker has a lot of time to pick up speed and can hit a guy in his blindside.

I am certainly not hot and bothered by this at all. I feel this is getting too much attention and I think its dumb. He made an inappropriate comment at a hockey game, yes it wasnt the right time or place to say something like that but seriously people? Come on it was a dumb comment and thats how Avery talks he reminds me of someone hmm he pushes the boudaries and says whats on his mind thats who he is deal with it. Suspended 6 games seems way too harsh but then again I am a fan so I would say that. I dont know I like him and always will.

And seriously if anyone else had said this we would not be here it would not have been the same outcome but it is what it is and he'll be back. I'm not saying that hes an outstanding citizen but thats who the guy is and hes not gonna change for anyone. He makes some bad calls but it gets people upset and thats what he likes. Hes just a goofy guy that is living his life how he wants too I dont see anything wrong with that. When I heard he was in a meeting with Gary Bettman for three hrs I laughed. What in the world would that solve? Gary Bettman is a loser that has no business being in no meeting.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
You can't take headshots on quarterbacks because they bring home the NFL's bacon and so the league obsesses over their safety. You can hit anyone else as a tackle or block in pretty much any way you'd imagine, but the circumstances of a wide receiver blocking downfield are fairly unique in that the blocker has a lot of time to pick up speed and can hit a guy in his blindside.

Thanks. I know that when you lead with the crown of your helmet and hit a QB the league has come down hard on the offenders. I just couldn't believe the hit I saw Ward throw on Ed Reed. That was vicious. What shocked me wasn't that Ward hit/blocked him. Its that Reed wasn't blindsided at all. They were actually running toward each other and Ward just stuck the crown of his helmet right into his jaw it looked like. Pretty brutal.

But coming from Avery, I expect this kind of stuff and figure it to be part of his MO and think he truly meant it simply to rile up Phaneuf and cause a stir and didn't mean it in some literal fashion that has upset so many people. I go back to what Craig Conroy said, "i think he was trying to be himself, trying to be funny...but it wasn't funny"

I still don't think its such a big deal and the league didn't do itself any favors by not letting him play in that game. He and the drama he built up were the only reasons to watch that game.

ditto

and I'm personally disgusted by the fact that the league hands Avery a 6 games

suspension to cover up for its hurt image, but on the same time hands laughable

1 game suspensions to assholes like Pronger for hits in the head which are clearly

aimed at injuring other players. or a number of 3 game suspension for delibarate

boarding or clear head hunting.

I'm usually Bettman's defender in this forum but this is a typical marketing BS. a typical

catholic way of solving things: as long as everybody smiles and no harm for the image

hass been done: wipe the things under the carpet. only when the image is hurt do

a crusade to protect perception.

those reoccuring nasty hits are this league's problem. not Avery who is idiot but at

least wasn't trying to injure someone and cause health problems. the league with

silent approval of Stars dressing room is trying to get rid of him and clean the image

but he is but a small problem the NHL has right now. league officials are no god

damned church to rule what player's words or actions are moral and what not. just

let Elisha and/or Flames sue this idiot and that's it. what really is the problem for

the game itself is Tootoos, Prongers, Ruutuus and similar crap. players who lack

respect to other guys on the ice and who do the wreck during the games against

hockey rules and risking other players health.

my 0.02€

Edited by akustyk

I think the people who should be pissed off the most about this are guys like Kesler and Bergeron. The NHL has in effect said that they care less about their safety than its (and I guess you could argue Elisha Cutherbert's to an extent) own image

Oh please... Avery asked for the attention and made his silly comment. whatever punishment he got should have no comparable measurement. All this was done off the ice, and not part of the game.

Now if Avery had the gall to make his comments during the game, right in Phaneuf's face.... screw the suspension, good freakin luck!

Oh please... Avery asked for the attention and made his silly comment. whatever punishment he got should have no comparable measurement. All this was done off the ice, and not part of the game.

Now if Avery had the gall to make his comments during the game, right in Phaneuf's face.... screw the suspension, good freakin luck!

You can't say that here! It's bad for our image!!! :D