• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

interminded

Support Chris Osgood (and the Detroit Red Wings)

Rate this topic

Chris Osgood is a pretty good goaltender. He has proven that... more than once.

Remember last playoffs ?

Now the thing is: He's struggling. Quite a bit.

Probably for the first time in his career he's truly having trouble feeling comfortable in net and bringing his A-game.

We can scream murder all we want and ask for a trade, for Ty Conklin to start, for Jimmy Howard to join the team.

But that doesn't help us or solve this situation our team is in ... cause it's not just Chris Osgood who's struggling, let's face it.

It's pretty safe to say, Ozzie gives it his all every night he's playing, but things still aren't going his way.

And if there's somebody who's pissed about his performance, it's Chris, believe you me.

Don't support Chris, only because he's a nice and likeable guy.

Or because he's almost a lifelong Red Wing.

Or because he deserves some credit because he helped us bring a Cup last spring.

Ozzie deserves our support, because he's a Detroit Red Wing.

And being a fan should be unconditional.

It's easy to cheer when you just won the Stanley Cup, but it takes some stamina to get through some rough patches during the season.

I believe LGW.com has enough of that.

It's only december, so let's be patient and let's be supportive.

(or become a member at the Sharks' forum... but you'll probably stay emptyhanded after he playoffs.. so that's not a real option..)

Edited by interminded

Amen to that!

I mean it could be worse... Just look at some of the other goalies from other teams out there. At least we're not paying him over $5mil a season ;)

.... $5,700,000 to be exact.

Edited by Namingway

eh no. Wings won the cup despite of him, not because of him. You could had put any decent goalie for wings last season and they would still win. Osgood is washed up at this point. I mean, the guy rarely has a save % in the 0.90s

eh no. Wings won the cup despite of him, not because of him. You could had put any decent goalie for wings last season and they would still win. Osgood is washed up at this point. I mean, the guy rarely has a save % in the 0.90s

Yes yes, despite a 1.55 GAA and a .930 sv% we still managed to win the cup...

Lucky us..

Dude, if you don't like him or if you that frustrated with him you can't even think straight, that's really okay.

But at least make an honest effort to say something that makes a little sense.

Edited by interminded

When will somebody say that the Wings won the Cup WITH him? Sounds so much better and accurate. I guess I'm the first.

I'm already feeling the love in this thread even though it is brand new. I think this calls for an awkward group hug moment.

grouphug.gif

Yes yes, despite a 1.55 GAA and a .930 sv% we still managed to win the cup...

Lucky us..

osgood doesnt deserve this much love when he plays bad. Red wings limit the shots total to 20 shots a game sometimes, and yet osgood lets in 3-4 goals on that. Unacceptable.

I support doing something to spark him to play better, like let him sit on the bench for a while or something.

He is currently 44 out 45 goalies in Save Percentage & 37 out of 45 in Goals Against Average. Alex Auld in Ottawa and Joey Macdonald on NYI are currently are posting better numbers on bottom dwelling teams.

I look at it this way: The Wings have maybe played 4 full 60 minute games, start to finish (IMO). Yet we are 17-4-4. That's pretty darn good. If this is what the Wings can accomplish while playing mediocre then we will be alright later on. The important thing during the course of the season is to get as many points as you possibly can over 82 games. I'll worry a little more in April if the Wings and/or Ozzie aren't playing the way they can.

Now having said all that, it is frustruating for me to watch Ozzie struggle so much. I've found myself saying, "OH! Ozzie! you shoulda had that!" way more than I'd like. So I can only imagine how much it's bugging him!! :)

I know he's struggling big time and I hope he will find his "groove" again. I personally right now couldn't care less if he allows 6 goals in a game, so long as we win.

We're still winning, so let's let him get back on his game. We've grabbed 26 out of a possible 32 points in the games Ozzy has started... it doesn't get much better than that.

Though i suspect that some of you think Luongo would be 16-0-0 on the Wings. :P

Edited by digitaljohn88

We're still winning, so let's let him get back on his game. We've grabbed 26 out of a possible 32 points in the games Ozzy has started... it doesn't get much better than that.

Though i suspect that some of you think Luongo would be 16-0-0 on the Wings. :P

What is this all aboot?

He has potential HOF numbers, rings and from what I heard about last summer...he can drink his own body weight in beer in less than 3 hours.

But seriously...the defense in front of him has been haphazard at time so far. I think it has more to do with a bit of hangover and at times boredom. This team can be so good at times that they go to sleep. ( ie...Pens game )

They will be ok, but Babs needs to lay the smack down here and there (healthy scratches work sometimes)

:siren:

Ozzie really hasn't been that bad honestly. The team in front of him IMO has definitely been haphazard at times. His record barring OTL's is stellar. The Wings are just now starting to emerge from the hangover period. From here on out the Wings should be at or near the top of the league.

he's been brutal we ALL can agree to that.. regardless if you love him or hate him, we're all on the same page on that.

i truly hope he gets his confidence back, cause i have never seen a worse goalie in recent memory on a great team play this way.. everytime and i do mean EVERYTIME the opposition takes a shot he looks so out of place, just too scary! looks like he's getting shot on every save/try.

His record barring OTL's is stellar.

No kidding, it's like 12-1, which is why a lot of people (including myself) feel his career wins and career win/loss record is at least a little inflated. In terms of his 12-1 record this year, I truly believe that the record has almost nothing to do with him, the team is simply scoring more goals then he is letting in. I understand the defense hasn't played very well, but that's when you really get to see what your goalie is made of. Through the early part of this season, he hasn't looked very good, it's that simple. Does this mean he deserves to be bashed? No, he is the goalie for this team, let's not bash the guy, but if he's playing poorly, no harm is actually pointing out a fact. I'm not sure if there is a lot of bashing going on anyway, I generally stay as far away from goalie threads as I can, they can get ugly.

I, like many, have had numerous occasions this season when I think "damnit, Ozzy...." But its not like the guy is phoning it in. I genuinely think that Ozzy is more the victim of s***ty luck this season than thoroughly poor goaltending. Has his play been subpar? Yes. But with all the turnovers and strange bounces so far this season, I've look at a lot of the goals against and thought "thats a tough break".

And if anyone is frustrated you can tell its Ozzy. After last nights game and the team came over to celebrate the win he looked terribly disappointed in his performance and really has been the number one advertiser of disdain for his play.

Last night, 1) he had one goal come straight down the pipe and beat him high glove from about 10' out, wouldn't expect him to get that.

2) A short-sider that barely found a hole.

3) Once again, a bounce off the back wall that goes straight to the opposition with an open-net.

4) A rebound that unfortunately went straight from one Sedin to the other.

5) And finally, a deflection through a congregation in front of the crease.

I can only blame Ozzy for maybe two of those goals. At this point in the season, Osgood is his own biggest critic and we all know he can do a hell of a lot better, as with the rest of the team. All that said, the Wings are winning and hopefully by after New Years they'll start to focus AS A TEAM and get the ship righted for playoffs.

Looking last night, his confidence is shot. I truly believe he can turn it around, but the defense has to step up and cover him so he has the chance.

I dont buy all this crap with the defense. The defese sometimes limits the shots to 15-20, yet osgood lets in a couple on that. Most goalies would be fine with that shot total. MCdonald had 46 shots and let in 4 last light.

This could be one of the most ignorant comments I've ever read on this board. That's saying something.

I dont buy all this crap with the defense. The defese sometimes limits the shots to 15-20, yet osgood lets in a couple on that. Most goalies would be fine with that shot total. MCdonald had 46 shots and let in 4 last light.

Don't you find it ironic that no matter which goalie has been plugged into the Wings' system all of a sudden has a lower SV% than they did on past teams? Do you not understand why?

Chris Osgood is a pretty good goaltender. He has proven that... more than once.

Remember last playoffs ?

Now the thing is: He's struggling. Quite a bit.

Probably for the first time in his career he's truly having trouble feeling comfortable in net and bringing his A-game

First time in his career? Huh? You must be young, this happened before. The last time we made him the undisputed #1 goaltender.

He's already failed as a number 1 goalie here in the past, failed on the Islanders and also failed on St. Louis so it should be no surprise that he is failing here again. He's good for the team as a backup though and for what he adds to the lockerroom. He's always been a top notch back up and always been a second rate starter despite what his stats are.

First time in his career? Huh? You must be young, this happened before. The last time we made him the undisputed #1 goaltender.

I know this wasn't directed at me but there's plenty of merit to this comment actually. Oz seems to flourish when he doesn't have that #1 tag on him. When he came in mid-first round last April he seemed fresh and mentally prepared. However, when he gets that tag, it sure seems like it does something to him even with how mentally strong he is. I know Oz is able to put bad goals in the past immediately, but his level of play is currently nowhere near it was last Spring. The defense may not be helping him, but he's not helping himself either.

I do hope that Babs keeps a leash on him as the season goes on in order to keep his head where it needs to be come April. I think subtly letting the media know that Conklin could earn more starts as the season goes on could help Oz get that fire back that he had all last season when he was fighting for playing time.

He's already failed as a number 1 goalie here in the past, failed on the Islanders and also failed on St. Louis so it should be no surprise that he is failing here again. He's good for the team as a backup though and for what he adds to the lockerroom. He's always been a top notch back up and always been a second rate starter despite what his stats are.

Could you explain to me how Ozzie failed on NY or STL? Also, how the Wings not winning the Cup every year since 98 isn't considered a "goalie failure" yet when Ozzie's in net, it is?

Osgood has been awful this season, he's basically the worst starting goaltender in the league at this point other than Turco. I realize people idolize the man around here, but his performance last night was laughable, and he was terrible last week as well. Center ice goals again? I thought we were past that.

Start Conklin until Osgood gets his head back together.

Really? I believe the Red Wings had another "decent" goalie last season and he couldn't get the job done. Ozzie was THE reason the Red Wings played more than just one round in the playoffs. You really need to go back and check the stats too. Ozzie's career save percentage is over .90, so how could he rarely hit that level then?

Nice post. Except for everything you said was false.

You don't inspire players to play better by loving them unconditionally. We're limiting the shots like crazy and he's letting way too many in. You have to send a message and part of that message is that Red Wings fans expect a lot from their team. Babcock will undoubtedly try to send a message as well by perhaps starting Conklin or maybe even bring up Howard. All everyone is saying is that this needs to happen for the better of the team, to motivate him to be the best player we know he can be. And yes, he did great last year. Especially when he first came in during the first round. He was a type of Osgood I have never seen who I felt comfortable in net. Why? Because he earned being there. The criticism is so he will have to do the same this time and be amazing.