• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kory - red since 1992

How about this idea

Rate this topic

So I was looking at the salary cap situation today, and reading the rumour mills of late I had an interesting thought. Let me know your thoughts

From Minnesota

RW Gaborik - current sallary aprx 6.3m UFA

D Bergeron - 0.85m UFA

D Zidlicky - 3.35m UFA 2010

G Backstro - 3.1M UFA

Pick

To Minnesota

LW Cleary - 2.5m

RW Holmstron - 2.5m

D Rafalski - 6m

D Kronwall - 3m

G Osgood - 1.7m

From Minnessota Salary total : 13.6M

To Minnessota Salary total: 15.7M

Basically, as i see it the Red Wings need some defense improvements and they need to be laying the groundwork for the future. Osgood has as much thanks as can be offered for his contributions to the organization but his time has come. After seeing Conklin perform in the second half of the season I hoped he would be a hidden gem. Alas this season has shown that that gem exists but counting on his consistency is playing cards. Hossa has been the best red wing this season. and rummors suggest he wants to play with gaborik, so why not bring him in. and Rafalski, again wow has he performed exactly as was hoped and expected but is he worth 6 million.

The red wings in their top players, hossa, datsyuk, zetterberg, lidstrom, and rafalski pay out 30.3 million. Lets say then making hossa happy by bringing in gaborik allows Detroit to sign them two for 1 year for a total of 13 million (possibly unrealistic but i think the chance to win should factor in). Then lidstrom at 7.45m, and datsyuk at 6.7 ok so 4 out of 5 total 27.15. that would mean Zetterberg could be offered at least $3.15 (which by my accounts is underpaid for performance and comparison).

Ok so we freed up 9.7 million (subtract rafalski) from next season, used up 4million on Backstrom (a fair raise), and give bergeron 2.7million, and let zidlicky go (surplus: 3 million)

ok then so heres the roster then next season

Hossa 6.5 million

Gaborik 6.5 million

Datsyuk 6.7 million

Zetterberg 6.15 million

Flippula 2.5

Draper 1.8

Igor Grigorenko (cheap)

Samuelsson 2 (raise from 1.2)

Hudler 2 (raise from 1.1)

Franzen (keep if 2 million or less but likely insert Derek Helm or alternative (for cheap))

Kopecky 0.5

Maltby 0.75 (look to trade over summer for younger same price/performance or sack and insert Grigorenko or alternative)

McCarty 0.5

Lidstrom 7.45

Stuart 3.75 million (look to trade over summer for younger cheaper price similar performance or develop from within)

Bergeron 2.7

Lilja 1.2

Lebda 0.8

Meech 0.5

Ericsson 1

Backstrom 4

Conklin 1

Ok well i hope that all makes sense anyway so heres the final crunch, we showed it would work within the cap this year, significantly improve the teams defense (in my the goltending improvement would offset any if any loss in rafalski and kronwall). so then in 2009/10 would it work? http://www.letsgowings.com/salarychart/index.php

Total salary in this scenario : 60.65

Total salary in 2009/10 assumin all contracts that end in 08/09 were continued in 09/10 : 57.7

So were over next year by 4 million. That said as touched upon above i would drop Stuarts salary somehow, i.e there is no way he is 3 million better than Meech or Lebda, persay. Franzen will likely have to go, if his season continues there is no way that he'll play for 2million or less. here comes internal development!!.

Maybe Minnesota wouldn't be interested, but if they are looking to get rid of gaborik and backstrom, the wings should be banging on their door!

I agree gaborik is a great player and has great speed. But, he lacks defensive skills and that's whats important about the red wings game. They have many forwards who play great on defense and gaborik lacks that skill. And moving rafalski would be terrible because him and lidstrom have great chemistry together (moving puck on the blueline).

If anyone should get moved I would say brad stuart/lilja. Also throw filppula and cleary into the mix because they are not worth the money we paid for them.

(cleary 2.8m/season filppula 3m/season..)

I would say get rid of stuart, trade filpulla/cleary and move Erikson up. Then you have room for hossa/zetty/franzen next season.

Guest Crymson
So I was looking at the salary cap situation today, and reading the rumour mills of late I had an interesting thought. Let me know your thoughts

From Minnesota

D Bergeron - 0.85m UFA

G Backstro - 3.1M UFA

Pick

To Minnesota

LW Cleary - 2.5m

RW Holmstron - 2.5m

D Rafalski - 6m

D Kronwall - 3m

G Osgood - 1.7m

Cleary has a no-trade clause and is a great all-around player when healthy, Holmstrom is the best in the business at his job and is a locker-room leader, and Kronwall is the best up-and-coming defenseman we have. Rafalski may be getting old, but he's still very valuable, and we'd notice his absence. Gaborik is hideously injury-prone and will be a UFA next season, Bergeron is atrocious defensively, Zidlicky is nothing we don't already have, and Backstrom will be a UFA at season's end.

As such, you're suggesting that we eviscerate our defense, trade away the best front-of-the-net presence in the league (who is an incredible bargain at $2.5m) and give up one of the best defense bargains in the league ($3m for the next four seasons), and one of our better all-around players in exchange for a soon-to-be-UFA fragile forward, a bad defenseman, a decent defenseman, and a soon-to-be-UFA goalie.

Doesn't sound worth it.

Guest Crymson
Yeah.. no. It might have some merit, albeit very little, if it didnt mention Grigerenko. Dudes done as a Red Wing

Yeah, Zetterberg signing at $6.15m is a total joke also.

This is a horrible idea. How many trades do we see these days? How many multiple player trades do we see these days? No one would take Osgood even for free.

I think you're whole idea was to somehow get Backstrom, which is a good idea. Realistically Stuart is the most expendable loss. 3.75 million, and he ain't playing well at all. If it means keeping Franzen, Hossa and Zetterberg, it would be well worth losing Stuart and Rafalski. I mean 6 million for Rafalski? That's a pretty steep price. Plus Hudler and Sammy need to stay obviously. How could we possibly replace such cheap key players. Conklin also should stay for a Osgood back-up until Ozzy's contract runs out. Howard might not be the answer. If it means trading Stuart for a goalie like Anderson (Florida) or Rimme (Nashville) then it'll be worth it long term.

Can we get any worse of an idea? I guess if we threw Lidstrom in there. Cleary is one of the few that gives it his all every time he's on the ice. Kronwall is a great up and comer. Raffy is overpaid. Lebda can go.

As a Wings fan...No, I don't like that at all. Gaborik has played in 6 games this season, he is out until the end of March or early April...best case scenario. He is fragile, fragile, fragile. There's always a chance that this hip surgery may have fixed it, but I'd rather give him a year to test that before signing him. Plus, he also (despite the injury status and missing the majority of the season) want more than his current 6.3 million. Zidlicky has potential, but nothing that we don't already have. Bergeron makes Lebda look amazing. Backstrom is the best thing in this, but again, he's going to be looking for more than his current salary (and deserves more than that). And well, locking up Conklin long term may have the same effect for less money.

As a Wild fan....Hell, yeah. I'd be all over that except for one thing. DR (the Wild GM) is an idiot. He'd never go for it. At times, one has to wonder if he was sent to sabotage the Wild. Seriously, he'd be looking at that trade, and probably go, "hmmmm....that Rafalski guy....don't want him...can I get that Ledba fellow instead? And instead of that Holmstrom, can I have that Kopecky?"

Yeah....nope. Not a good trade for either team. The Wings get screwed in the original. And DR would screw it up somehow for the Wild.

From Minnesota

D Bergeron - 0.85m UFA

G Backstro - 3.1M UFA

Pick

To Minnesota

LW Cleary - 2.5m

RW Holmstron - 2.5m

D Rafalski - 6m

D Kronwall - 3m

G Osgood - 1.7m

From Minnessota Salary total : 13.6M

To Minnessota Salary total: 15.7M

Basically, as i see it the Red Wings need some defense improvements and they need to be laying the groundwork for the future. Osgood has as much thanks as can be offered for his contributions to the organization but his time has come. After seeing Conklin perform in the second half of the season I hoped he would be a hidden gem. Alas this season has shown that that gem exists but counting on his consistency is playing cards. Hossa has been the best red wing this season. and rummors suggest he wants to play with gaborik, so why not bring him in. and Rafalski, again wow has he performed exactly as was hoped and expected but is he worth 6 million.

The red wings in their top players, hossa, datsyuk, zetterberg, lidstrom, and rafalski pay out 30.3 million. Lets say then making hossa happy by bringing in gaborik allows Detroit to sign them two for 1 year for a total of 13 million (possibly unrealistic but i think the chance to win should factor in). Then lidstrom at 7.45m, and datsyuk at 6.7 ok so 4 out of 5 total 27.15. that would mean Zetterberg could be offered at least $3.15 (which by my accounts is underpaid for performance and comparison).

Ok so we freed up 9.7 million (subtract rafalski) from next season, used up 4million on Backstrom (a fair raise), and give bergeron 2.7million, and let zidlicky go (surplus: 3 million)

ok then so heres the roster then next season

Hossa 6.5 million

Gaborik 6.5 million

Datsyuk 6.7 million

Zetterberg 6.15 million

Flippula 2.5

Draper 1.8

Igor Grigorenko (cheap)

Samuelsson 2 (raise from 1.2)

Hudler 2 (raise from 1.1)

Franzen (keep if 2 million or less but likely insert Derek Helm or alternative (for cheap))

Kopecky 0.5

Maltby 0.75 (look to trade over summer for younger same price/performance or sack and insert Grigorenko or alternative)

McCarty 0.5

Lidstrom 7.45

Stuart 3.75 million (look to trade over summer for younger cheaper price similar performance or develop from within)

Bergeron 2.7

Lilja 1.2

Lebda 0.8

Meech 0.5

Ericsson 1

Backstrom 4

Conklin 1

Ok well i hope that all makes sense anyway so heres the final crunch, we showed it would work within the cap this year, significantly improve the teams defense (in my the goltending improvement would offset any if any loss in rafalski and kronwall). so then in 2009/10 would it work? http://www.letsgowings.com/salarychart/index.php

Total salary in this scenario : 60.65

Total salary in 2009/10 assumin all contracts that end in 08/09 were continued in 09/10 : 57.7

So were over next year by 4 million. That said as touched upon above i would drop Stuarts salary somehow, i.e there is no way he is 3 million better than Meech or Lebda, persay. Franzen will likely have to go, if his season continues there is no way that he'll play for 2million or less. here comes internal development!!.

Maybe Minnesota wouldn't be interested, but if they are looking to get rid of gaborik and backstrom, the wings should be banging on their door!

you are on crack. this would gut our team of grit and heart. I would not touch Gaborik with a 10 foot pole. we do not need him. We need Cleary and Homer.

Yeah, Zetterberg signing at $6.15m is a total joke also.

Yeah, he actually signed for less! In December I also thought this would be impossible but it happened. Very interesting old thread... funny that the trade proposed by the OP is completely jacked, yet he/she somehow almost precisely predicted what Z's cap hit would be when almost everyone was thinking it'd be 1-2 million more!