• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pat

NHL wants ESPN coverage?

Rate this topic

NHLPA Executive Director Paul Kelly is aggressively trying to land the NHL back on ESPN television in the States. NBC will hang on to the NHL through at last next season in large part because they carry the Olympics. ESPN will not take the NHL back unless they get the Stanley Cup finals as part of the deal. As of now NBC has the rights to the Cup finals.

Source: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=18246

Do you think they will get this done THIS season?

NHLPA Executive Director Paul Kelly is aggressively trying to land the NHL back on ESPN television in the States. NBC will hang on to the NHL through at last next season in large part because they carry the Olympics. ESPN will not take the NHL back unless they get the Stanley Cup finals as part of the deal. As of now NBC has the rights to the Cup finals.

Source: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=18246

Do you think they will get this done THIS season?

i hope so i love espn hockey better than nbc

Doesn't NBC's deal expire after this season? If so, i can see ESPN and ABC getting back on board.

Come to think of it, I actually wouldn't mind seeing a multi-outlet deal similar to what the NBA has with ESPN and TNT. Have Versus do their Monday/Tuesday games, then get Thursday Night Hockey back on ESPN with maybe a Wed. or Fri game on the Deuce now or then.

Come to think of it, I actually wouldn't mind seeing a multi-outlet deal similar to what the NBA has with ESPN and TNT. Have Versus do their Monday/Tuesday games, then get Thursday Night Hockey back on ESPN with maybe a Wed. or Fri game on the Deuce now or then.

I like that idea, keep VS and add ESPN and ESPN 2. The only thing is I don't get VS so I kinda want ESPN and 2 to take over.

Why do so many here want ESPN to air games?

After a while they'll blow-off hockey to showcase such hits like WSOP instead <_<

The NHL needs ESPN more than ESPN needs the NHL

I've said it before, I don't mind VS but I hate NBC. VS might not pick the best annoucners in the world but they give them 2 games a week plus at least a game a night during the playoffs. NBC cut off game 5 of the ECF's between the Sens and Sabres in OT to show the pre-race coverage of the Kentucky Derby. Pre-Race? Come on. Then Conan got preference over the Finals so NBC picked up the first 2 games instead of the last games like they had in the past and started the finals in back to back games for the first time in close to 50 years. Then Bettman comes out and says "they were planning on it for a while." Yeah sure you were. I said it a while the NBA wouldn't have that happen NBC would have started Conan a few weeks later or just dealt with it. And NBC gives almost no coverage during the regular season and don't start covering games until January and last year they had a whole 9 games on not counting the Winter Classic. Plus you never know what game will be on because they are "flex games" so NBC can just pick a game not too far before the game. The game against the Wild was one of those game so that could have been one less. Now I don't mind having Ken and Mickey instead of Doc and Ed but if you really want to market this game you get it on nationally more than just a 10 times.

While ESPN didn't treat the NHL very well I remember in the playoffs there were times I could watch the Wings, a game on CBC, a game on ESPN and a game on ESPN 2. Now I watch the Wings and VS and that's it because NBC only has weekend games in the playoffs before the Finals. The players even want it back on ESPN. They brought it up at the meeting the PA had with Bettman in Vegas. All he did was do his sideways talk about how great the deal is with NBC. One player was quoted as saying "He was giving a sales pitch about NBC." Now I have to deal with 2 more years of Pierre Maguire giving me useless information from inside the glass.

i would mind this purely because it would mean more games on tv (i think). My concern would be that ESPN would ESPNize hockey, change it the way they changed MNF. Random celebrity guests who have nothing to do with the sport promoting their latest CD or clothing line, etc.

Also I fear for who the announcers would be, apart from melrose there is nobody there who knows anything about hockey. I loved when hockey was on ESPN back in the day, but those days are looong gone.

i would mind this purely because it would mean more games on tv (i think). My concern would be that ESPN would ESPNize hockey, change it the way they changed MNF. Random celebrity guests who have nothing to do with the sport promoting their latest CD or clothing line, etc.

Also I fear for who the announcers would be, apart from melrose there is nobody there who knows anything about hockey. I loved when hockey was on ESPN back in the day, but those days are looong gone.

I agree, and even then, Barry Melrose is terrible. Pierre LeBrun and Scott Burnside offer a little bit of hockey insight for ESPN, but even still, they don't know s*** about hockey on ESPN. I really wish Gary Thorne and Bill Clement would tag-team some announcing again instead of Thorne doing the Little League World Series.