• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gnredwing

We need a goalie!

Rate this topic

With all due respect, the Game is not played on an Excel spreadsheet. It's played on the ice.

The shots against have been declining. The turnovers in the Defensive zone, behind the net, etc., have not.

That's the problem with Stats Junkies. Stats tell a poor tale.

If a goalie gives up 4 goals on 10 shots, you'd say he had a bad night. Right? That's what the "stats" read, anyway.

Unless, of course, you happen to know that it wasn't 4 goals on 10 shots, but 4 goals on 10 PENALTY SHOTS. Quite a bit of difference there.

Having said that, Ozzie hasn't been as good as he can be.

He needs to toss the old equipment. I hear he's breaking in new equipment exclusively in practice.....but still wearing the old equipment in Games. Fark that. You can't practice all week wearing one set of equipment, get a feel for it, and then use totally different equipment when the puck drops in a Game situation. That's gonna throw your Game all off kilter.

Cut the cord, Oz, one way or the other. Either use the old equipment, practice and Game, and break in the new stuff over the summer, or commit to the new equipment, practice and Game, and get rid of the old stuff.

Can't keep switching back and forth like that. You'll never get comfortable in net.

Never thought of that; maybe thats part of the reason for Ozzie's struggles so far

Never thought of that; maybe thats part of the reason for Ozzie's struggles so far

I doubt it, though it's possible. I think the defense is going to have to step up a lot more, if we're going to see the same goalie in Ozzie that we saw last season.

Clearly there is a problem with the wings. Hence the reason Babcock has mixed up the lines. However, I don't think we can point to one problem, but I think it is the team as a whole is not playing very well. I would like to see what the puck possession time of the 2008-2009 season compared to the same number of games last year. Also, I have always thought that shots on goal and goals against and save percentage should be based on quality chances. When I look at between period stats the quality chances we have in most cases seems to be about the same as the number of quality chances we give up. So the question is are we giving up more or less quality chances? If we are giving up more then the problem is team defense. If we are giving up the same, but our goalies are giving up more goals then it is a goalie problem. If both is happening, which is my theory, then the problem is the team is playing poorly and they need to get their heads out of their collective asses and start playing better hockey! Anyway you look at it the team needs to do something to get it going again.

One last thing, you can't bring up Howard since we have cap issues as is. Unless Osgood or Conklin goes down with an injured oor one of them gets traded or put on waivers these are the goalies that will lead us in the playoffs.

This team can and will win, I wasn't a Babcock fan when he was hired, but this is his time to shine as well!

I just noticed Boston and Detroit are both 18-4-4

The difference being Boston's 56 GA to our 80 GA. Tim Thomas is a good goalie, but Boston is playing strong defense as one cohesive unit..which is what used to be the Wings biggest advantage.

Boston must be beat this season. Celtics, Patriots and Red Sox are pwning. Their hockey team must suffer. :devil:

On topic. Desperate team, good goalie = Marty Turco. Do eet nahw!!! ...or Bryzgalov of Phoenix.

Truth is, whether Ozzie is breaking in new equipment or not, he has not been sharp. He has admitted it, Babs has stated it and there is no denying that he has not been all that he can be.

I don't think we have to worry... yet. Our team is rolling along and still winning games, but in tight, playoff style games, Ozzie will have to perform better.

If not, Holland will try to make some changes.

I doubt it, though it's possible. I think the defense is going to have to step up a lot more, if we're going to see the same goalie in Ozzie that we saw last season.

According to Hasek, it was the fact that he used someone else's goaltending equipment which caused the groin injury during a practice at the Olympics, and kept him out of the Post-Season for Ottawa.

If , (according to Dom), practicing in different equipment than what he was used to was enough to knock him out for a good part of an entire Season, and all of the Play-Offs, I'd say it's fair to guess that switching back and forth between one set of equipment and another might very well be having an effect on Ozzie's game.

According to Hasek, it was the fact that he used someone else's goaltending equipment which caused the groin injury during a practice at the Olympics, and kept him out of the Post-Season for Ottawa.

If , (according to Dom), practicing in different equipment than what he was used to was enough to knock him out for a good part of an entire Season, and all of the Play-Offs, I'd say it's fair to guess that switching back and forth between one set of equipment and another might very well be having an effect on Ozzie's game.

If Ozzie gets injured because of his equipment, then you have a comparison. Otherwise, no. Hasek was injured. Ozzie seems to be just fine, physically... although it's hard to say, as he declines interviews with the media recently.

freep

Defense wil just have to get better, and when they do, so will Ozzie, regardless of which pads he has on.

Edited by puckloo39

If Ozzie gets injured because of his equipment, then you have a comparison. Otherwise, no. Hasek was injured. Ozzie seems to be just fine, physically... although it's hard to say, as he declines interviews with the media recently.

Let me try this again...

It was "different equipment" which CAUSED the injury to Dom. If "different equipment" is enough, (according to Dom), to cause a serious, Season ending injury....

Again....I'd say it's fair to say that "different equipment" is enough to throw a goalies game off more than a bit.

And Ozzie seems somewhat "fine", although he does look more than slightly "off". He'll get it worked out, I'm sure.

As to the other...??

Perhaps he's so frustrated with his game that he'd rather decline interviews than physically assault media types.

<shrug>

Who knows?

Hasek never hid from anything or anyone, at least. He took the responsibility which goes along with being #1, whether he deserved the blame or not.

As I said, when the D gets better the G will, too. Maybe Cheli will come back and straighten it all out. <shrug>

Who knows?? :lol:

If anyone wants to "fix" the goaltending, they're going to be sorely disappointed when another goaltender comes in here and gets hung out to dry when our defense leaves them alone in the slot with an arsenal of shooting opponents at hand. Fix the defense, and the goaltending will follow. Its going to be hard for ANY goaltender to gain confidence playing in front that for-s*** defense we having going right now.

Well, what happened exactly was that in the Olympics, they were more lenient as far as goalie pad size was concerned, so Hasek took his old equipment to Italy. It got lost in the air transport, so he had to use someone elses equipment. Which actually was not the problem per se, because - as somebody in a Senators forum explained at the time - it was the width of the pads which requires slightly different moves (I do not remember exactly), and Hasek not being used to it, and ... the rest is history.

But as for Ozzie/Conklin, I would give them one or two more months to do whatever they need to do to improve. As last season showed, goalies can get cold/hot in an blink of an eye. So why upset the whole set up, if there is still time?

Let me try this again...

It was "different equipment" which CAUSED the injury to Dom. If "different equipment" is enough, (according to Dom), to cause a serious, Season ending injury....

Again....I'd say it's fair to say that "different equipment" is enough to throw a goalies game off more than a bit.

And Ozzie seems somewhat "fine", although he does look more than slightly "off". He'll get it worked out, I'm sure.

As to the other...??

Perhaps he's so frustrated with his game that he'd rather decline interviews than physically assault media types.

<shrug>

Who knows?

It's really... not the equipment.

If I remember the story correctly, Hasek was using some old ass used 80's gear (think brown leather) borrowed from the Italian team practicing for the olympics because his current gear got stuck at an airport. I can see how that would cause an injury, because what he was using was missing all the modern features of b'fly pads.

Ozzy's new pads are nearly identical to his old ones, and if it was really affecting his game I would hope he would just make the switch. :blink:

Hasek never hid from anything or anyone, at least. He took the responsibility which goes along with being #1, whether he deserved the blame or not.

As I said, when the D gets better the G will, too. Maybe Cheli will come back and straighten it all out. <shrug>

Who knows?? :lol:

I'd rather Oz decline interviews on practice days, and concentrate on getting his Game back to where it should be. He needs to focus on his play on the ice, not what's being said in the Media.

He's hardly "hiding", as you've inferred. He's come out and stated that he needs to play better, and that he'll continue to battle through this rough patch until his Game is back where it should be.

Would you prefer he open up a vein? Perhaps he can go on and on to the Press about how he needs his wife to hold him, or how he feels like going home and hanging himself.

As for the "responsibility which goes along with being a #1":

Oz was injured during the 1st Round against the Ducks in '99. He missed the first 4 games of Round 2, while his back-up played two great games, followed by two really, really, really bad games.

His Team needed him. His Coach, the best Coach in the History of the NHL, came out and stated how much his Team needed him. Even if he was only 80%.

So he came back, at 80%. He took his place between the pipes for his Team, because he accepted the responsibility which goes along with being a #1 - he Played. Through pain. Through injury. When his Team called on him, he gave everything he had. Because that's what Hockey Players do.

He failed, but it wasn't for lack of trying. He gave his heart and soul, along with his injured knee, and accepted the outcome, for better or worse. No excuses.

And certainly no "hiding".

Edited by Outsider

gee, here we go again ... Hasek the sissy. I thought I have seen the last of those :(

I just do not get it, how you can try to second guess how serious his injury was. If he listened to the likes of you and played, and aggravated the injury, everybody would be saying "What an idiot, why did he play if he knew his injury was not healed?"

gee, here we go again ... Hasek the sissy. I thought I have seen the last of those :(

I just do not get it, how you can try to second guess how serious his injury was. If he listened to the likes of you and played, and aggravated the injury, everybody would be saying "What an idiot, why did he play if he knew his injury was not healed?"

I never called Hasek a sissy. Not once. I simply used the '99 Play Offs as an example of Osgood accepting the responsibility that goes with being a #1, and as a testament to how he could very well have "hidden", had he a mind, (and a handy excuse), to do so, but how he chose not to.

***Edit***

As an aside...

One could certainly use the "gee, here we go again..." line for this entire thread. And the many others like it, here and elsewhere.

One would hope that after a goaltender Wins his SECOND Stanley Cup for a Franchise, and does it convincingly, with the best GAA and 2nd best SVP in the Post Season, and during a year which could very well see him crack the Top 10 Goaltenders in NHL History, one would hope....against all hope.....

That the "we need a new goalie!, Soon" threads could wait at least until the following Play Off year. Especially after the guy just lifted the Cup, again, six months ago.

Edited by Outsider

This is exactly what you posted Outsider: " It was "different equipment" which CAUSED the injury to Dom. If "different equipment" is enough, (according to Dom), to cause a serious, Season ending injury...."

How else can I interpret this?

But, anyway, I agree with your "edit".

This is exactly what you posted Outsider: " It was "different equipment" which CAUSED the injury to Dom. If "different equipment" is enough, (according to Dom), to cause a serious, Season ending injury...."

He put the 'according to Dom' to specific that Dom himself had given that as a reason and he wasn't simply assuming it to be the reason. He wasn't saying anything about the validity of the reason.

It was Dom himself who claimed that the "different equipment" he used in practice at the Olympics is what caused the injury.

Some here have opined that the fact that Osgood is practicing exclusively wearing new equipment, made by a different manufacturer, to different specs, and out of different materials, while playing exclusively in Game situations wearing the same equipment he's used for the past 3 Seasons, (since he "re-invented" his Game, coincidentally), could not possibly be having any effect, whatsoever, on his Game.

I simply stated that if Dom claims that the "different equipment" was what caused his Season ending injury, that it is at least possible that the "differrent equipment" could be responsible for throwing Oz a bit off track.

It had nothing, nothing whatsoever, to do with the whether or not I believe that Hasek was truly injured.

I used it only to illustrate how one's body, (and by extension, one's Game), can be affected by using "different equipment."

enough already. Ozzie's problem isn't his equipment, or if it is, they need to fire Jim Bedard for not knowing enough to mention it. :rolleyes: It's between his ears, if anything.

Cheli needs to come back and bolster the D, so the offense doesn't have to produce half a dozen goals per game in order to win.

I expect the Defense to be much better with Cheli in the line-up.

Snotty comments aside, Oz is struggling right now. He knows it, we know it, Jim Bedard knows it.

It's a good thing that the Wings have the Offense, the mental fortitude, and the determination, to score as many goals as it takes to post an 11-1-4 record behind their Starter, who just happens to be struggling in December.

Hopefully Oz picks his Game up soon, so they don't have to worry about going into the Post Season watching their Starter give up one, two, even three goals, within seconds of each other, when the games REALLY matter.

That would SUCK!

Edited by Outsider

I expect the Defense to be much better with Cheli in the line-up.

Snotty comments aside, Oz is struggling right now. He knows it, we know it, Jim Bedard knows it.

It's a good thing that the Wings have the Offense, the mental fortitude, and the determination, to score as many goals as it takes to post an 11-1-4 record behind their Starter, who just happens to be struggling in December.

Hopefully Oz picks his Game up soon, so they don't have to worry about going into the Post Season watching their Starter give up one, two, even three goals, within seconds of each other, when the games REALLY matter.

That would SUCK!

So these losses are all on Ozzie? Has it occured to anyone that the play of Conklin, who looked like the Savior himself last year with Pittsburgh and Ozzie, looking like an All Star last year, has something to do with the fact that they're going from playing behind capable defenses to backing nightly atrocities on "defense"?

Anyone who pays close attention to the game can see that neither Ozzie nor Conklin have any confidence to make the stops right now.

So these losses are all on Ozzie? Has it occured to anyone that the play of Conklin, who looked like the Savior himself last year with Pittsburgh and Ozzie, looking like an All Star last year, has something to do with the fact that they're going from playing behind capable defenses to backing nightly atrocities on "defense"?

Anyone who pays close attention to the game can see that neither Ozzie nor Conklin have any confidence to make the stops right now.

I don't believe that is what he meant at all.

I think it's harder to be the # 1 in goal than it looks, even with the best team in the league in front of you.

Snotty comments aside, as you say... kharma is a terrible mistress.

You're absolutely right. Kharma is a terrible mistress.

There was a time when Oz probably wondered what he'd done to deserve being tossed aside, after all those years, all those Victories, after Winning the Cup, after giving everything he had to the Franchise he loved, the only Team he ever wanted to play for.

Tossed aside.....For a rental.....a "one-and-done".....

Well, one-and-done, and then back out of retirement. And another starter tossed aside, humiliated, shoved onto a bus in the minors. Well....for 14 games anyway. And then on to another "Cup contender". Well....until the injury, that is....and then back again.....and so close, so very, very close.....

<sigh>

Yes. Kharma is a terrible mistress. That being the case, it's a good thing that while Oz will never, ever, be known as "the greatest goalie ever to play the game", he's known far and wide as a really, TRULY "good guy."

By all accounts, if anything, Oz has got some serious GOOD kharma coming to him. Hopefully last year's Cup was only the beginning.