Photo
* * * - - 7 votes

Wings got the talent, but what about the coaching?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:20 PM

Ya know, I have wanted to point this out for awhile but...

... the zamboni driver has sorta been dogging it out there between periods. I blame him. And Obama. He's involved too. dry.gif

Seriously though, of the people I would point fingers to, Babs is damn near the end of the line. If you want to point at McCrimmon, I can understand that. But the Red Wings gameplan is an excellent one, especially with the talent we have. It's just not being executed right now. Babas gave them 25+ games to adjust to Hossa, shake off the Cup hangover, and get back to playing Red Wings Hockey. It didn't happen so he's stirring up the lines. I view that as good coaching. Not freaking out immediately when things didn't go right. Not over-reacting now. Just subtle twists to mix things up and let the players know they are not performing to standard.
*this space for rent*

#42 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (FourtyThirteen @ December 13, 2008 - 03:50PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So basically everyone is going to disagree with me because I have some complaints about the Wings this season?

I'm gonna disagree with you because you spelled "Forty" wrong in your username.
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#43 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (lets go pavel @ December 13, 2008 - 08:17PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but what evidence do you have that the Wings current lack of consistent play is his responsibility?

What are your complaints with Babcock?

None. To both of those.

I didnt mention anything anti-Babcock in this thread, I was just saying people on here talk like hes God and nothing could possibly be his fault.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#44 TheSupafly

TheSupafly

Shark fan extrodinaire

• PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:33 PM

You guys have nothing to worry about. Your team will be just fine. I'm sure they're not playing to the level that you have come to expect, but what matters is how they are playing in the spring and early summer. Not right now. Trust a Sharks fan...I would know.

The wings are still near the top of the conference despite these "defensive struggles". It'll be all right. I promise. smile.gif

#45 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (uk_redwing @ December 13, 2008 - 02:54PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also find the blind faith everyone is showing in Babcock quite worrying, like hes some kind of God who cant make a single mistake.

Its not blind faith if the man is coaching a team that has been and still is SUPER SUCCESSFUL!

Edited by OsGOD, 13 December 2008 - 03:39 PM.

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#46 ManLuv4Clears

ManLuv4Clears

Tough As Nails

• Gold Booster
  • 594 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (weGotTheCup89 @ December 13, 2008 - 03:24PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm gonna disagree with you because you spelled "Forty" wrong in your username.

That just made me spit up my Heineken laugh.gif

#47 lets go pavel

lets go pavel

Pacifiers are for pansies. I chew pucks!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (uk_redwing @ December 13, 2008 - 04:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
None. To both of those.

I didnt mention anything anti-Babcock in this thread, I was just saying people on here talk like hes God and nothing could possibly be his fault.

with good reason ...

Edited by lets go pavel, 13 December 2008 - 04:24 PM.

"The one thing I love about Datsyuk, and there is much to love, is that no other player is like him. And, at least in recent history, it's hard to think of any player who has really been like him. He is a unique freak of nature in how he stick checks and operates in tight quarters. It's amazing how he deceives people from a stand-still position or when he isn't moving very fast. He is hockey's David Blaine." -- John Buccigross

#48 IceMunkee

IceMunkee

Gangster-ish

• HoF Booster
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (OsGOD @ December 13, 2008 - 03:37PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its not blind faith if the man is coaching a team that has been and still is SUPER SUCCESSFUL!

I know alot of us are from Michigan and have little faith in anything right now, but seriously why are we critisized everytime we have any faith? If we want to have positive feelings about our #1 division, #2 confrence team then by all means we should be allowed without all the doubt.

All right man, lets just follow suit... I hate the Wings, Ozzy sucks, Babs is a no good *******, IDK why we even signed Hossa, Z is a tool, Dats is still f'n sweet, Lids is old and passed his prime, raf was the worst signing in years, they won't ever win the cup besides for the last 4 in 11 yrs.

f*** this no good, awful, #1 team...
www.thedscene.com
@Gay4Datsyuk
Check It Out!

#49 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (IceMunkee @ December 13, 2008 - 04:03PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know alot of us are from Michigan and have little faith in anything right now, but seriously why are we critisized everytime we have any faith? If we want to have positive feelings about our #1 division, #2 confrence team then by all means we should be allowed without all the doubt.

All right man, lets just follow suit... I hate the Wings, Ozzy sucks, Babs is a no good *******, IDK why we even signed Hossa, Z is a tool, Dats is still f'n sweet, Lids is old and passed his prime, raf was the worst signing in years, they won't ever win the cup besides for the last 4 in 11 yrs.

f*** this no good, awful, #1 team...

i disagree... you forgot, we won't get past the first round!

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#50 Mickeyisms Rule!

Mickeyisms Rule!

Baboon for Enforcer

• PipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (OsGOD @ December 13, 2008 - 02:57PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why are we questioning coaching in December when we are still near the tops in the league?

The Big 3 were near the tops in the world for a long time- maybe someone should have been questioning their leadership a bit earlier than now (just using your avatar to make a point).

#51 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (uk_redwing @ December 13, 2008 - 02:54PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also find the blind faith everyone is showing in Babcock quite worrying, like hes some kind of God who cant make a single mistake.

Just to correct a few people in the thread, Mike Babcock DID NOT win the cup last season. The Detroit Red Wings did. And theres alot of that Detroit Red Wings that is missing/has changed this year. The biggest change being at coach level.

Wait a second ... so when the Red Wings win as a team, Babcock has nothing to do with it, but when the team "struggles" then it becomes a coaching problem?

Babcock isn't perfect - nobody is claiming that. There needs to be improvement all the way around, but most especially from the guys actually playing the game. A coach can only do so much when effort is lacking.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#52 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (Mickeyisms Rule! @ December 13, 2008 - 03:35PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Big 3 were near the tops in the world for a long time- maybe someone should have been questioning their leadership a bit earlier than now (just using your avatar to make a point).

Ohhh! A strawman! Excellent.

dry.gif
*this space for rent*

#53 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (GoWings1905 @ December 13, 2008 - 10:15PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait a second ... so when the Red Wings win as a team, Babcock has nothing to do with it, but when the team "struggles" then it becomes a coaching problem?

Some people on here have a real issue of trying to start an arguement out of nothing.

Did I say Babcock had nothing to do with it? I said the opposite. Hes part of the Wings, I said they won the cup. Anyone who keeps making s*** up about my posts, seriously f*** off. Im not in the mood. I have posting nothing negetive in this thread so stop putting s*** in my mouth.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak

#54 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (uk_redwing @ December 13, 2008 - 05:47PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some people on here have a real issue of trying to start an arguement out of nothing.

Did I say Babcock had nothing to do with it? I said the opposite. Hes part of the Wings, I said they won the cup. Anyone who keeps making s*** up about my posts, seriously f*** off. Im not in the mood. I have posting nothing negetive in this thread so stop putting s*** in my mouth.

Go back and read your previous post. I believe you if you didn't mean anything by it, but that's not the way it came across at all.

It's not that big of a deal dude. There's no need to go nuts.

#55 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:26 PM

Am not going nuts, just I have a god damn mouth absess and its pissing me off to no end and have a very short fuse atm.

Grrr....

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak

#56 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (uk_redwing @ December 13, 2008 - 08:26PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am not going nuts, just I have a god damn mouth absess and its pissing me off to no end and have a very short fuse atm.

Grrr....

No worries.

Hope everything works out for you.

#57 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 09:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

Oh I know some members in here can and might take this much further... tongue.gif

So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching equipment managers Wings upper management Bud Lynch Knitting Lady Mo Cheese the local economy the former Detroit mayor the auto industry the Michigan govenor the bailout plan the current President the next Presdient the terrorists global warming global cooling now?

*shrugs*

#58 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (SDavis35 @ December 13, 2008 - 12:09PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't worry, we'll work our way up to Holland soon.

Why stop there? The problem with the Wings has always been Marion Illitch... ranting.gif

tongue.gif

Unless it's 1897 again, the Stanley Cup isn't going to be won or lost in December. Plenty of time to sort out whatever defensive deficiencies the team has, and plenty of time for the lines to show the required chemistry.

Until then, I'm going to enjoy a divisional first place, conference second place, club.

#59 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 03:13PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

NUFF SAID!!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#60 ilmickeyli

ilmickeyli

Meatwad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (uk_redwing @ December 13, 2008 - 08:26PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Grrr....

Stop shooting up in your mouth scared.gif

Get well seoon thumbup.gif

Edited by ilmickeyli, 14 December 2008 - 08:51 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!