• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rwingz2002

Headed to the Joe for the first time

Rate this topic

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the discussions but I have been a fan of the site for over 2 years now and check it often to see what people say. I have been a Redwings fan my entire life, basically ever since I can remember watching Steve Yzerman when I was younger and they were not the successful Redwings of today. Anyways, I live in Connecticut and my brother and I are headed to the Joe for the first time in our lives. I can't begin to tell you how excited I am. My girlfriend got both of us tickets on the glass for the Dec. 30th game against the Hawks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to know what advice you guys had as to what I have to see when I am in Detroit. We will get there on the 29th and leave on the 31st, so much I want to do in such a short time. We plan to go to Hockeytown Cafe and Hockeytown Authentics in Troy. I would like to check out Cheli's as well but I wanted to know what you guys thought.

Hockeytown Cafe is freakin sweet. Get there early because if it's anything like it was when I went (Nov 8th vs. NJ) then it'll be packed a couple hours before game time. Don't worry too much because they were very good at getting people moving through there and being nice about it. I had the pizza and thought it was great. Oh, and there is a FREE shuttle from the Hockeytown Cafe to the Joe so make sure to remember that so ya don't waste money on a cab.

Cheli's is a stone's throw from Hockeytown Cafe but I never had the chance to check that out.

Have a great time. My first time being at the Joe with my fellow Wings faithful is something I will always remember for the rest of my life.

Those sound like good places to go esp. if you're from out of town. Bring the checkbook if you go out to Hockeytown Authentics, you'll want a lot of things from that store.

I don't know how well you know where things are downtown, Hockeytown Cafe is over by the Fox Theatre, Ford Field (Lions) and Comerica Park (Tigers). Hockeytown Authentics is out in the burbs. There are a couple of Cheli's around too, one right near the Cafe, and the original in Dearborn.

http://www.chelischilibar.com/detroit/home.html

If you want to get a "less corporate", more "gritty" kinda 3rd line grinder Wings fan experience, hit the Post or Cobo Joes on Congress or the Anchor Bar on Fort St. There are also a lot of great bars over near St. Aubin that also have shuttles to the Joe. I'm sure I am missing a ton of things but those are the places I used to hang out.

Most importantly, bring a big coat and have a good time!!!!!

Thanks man, I was actually surprised to learn that it is only an 11 hour drive. Considering the fact that it is going to be New Years Eve when we return I figured it would be smarter to drive rather than risk having a flight cancellation.... It is always nice to find Wings fans around here, although every time I have been to Boston to see the wings play, Its great to see how many there are around here, or at least how many that will travel and follow. I went to New Jersey to see them play once back in 01/02 and I swear there were more wings fans there than Devils fans.. it was great.

Those sound like good places to go esp. if you're from out of town. Bring the checkbook if you go out to Hockeytown Authentics, you'll want a lot of things from that store.

I don't know how well you know where things are downtown, Hockeytown Cafe is over by the Fox Theatre, Ford Field (Lions) and Comerica Park (Tigers). Hockeytown Authentics is out in the burbs. There are a couple of Cheli's around too, one right near the Cafe, and the original in Dearborn.

http://www.chelischilibar.com/detroit/home.html

If you want to get a "less corporate", more "gritty" kinda 3rd line grinder Wings fan experience, hit the Post or Cobo Joes on Congress or the Anchor Bar on Fort St. There are also a lot of great bars over near St. Aubin that also have shuttles to the Joe. I'm sure I am missing a ton of things but those are the places I used to hang out.

Most importantly, bring a big coat and have a good time!!!!!

Yeah I'm not familiar with the area at all, but since I am driving and I have a gps I am hoping that I won't have a problem, but you never know... thanks for the tips. I don't think I could ever have enough money for everything I am going to want at Hockeytown Authentics but I'm prepared to be in debt ... ha ha... its all worth it for my first time at the Joe.... I told my girl that I would get her a Cleary jersey... should I get that at Authentics or at the Joe... wasn't sure where you would get the best deal... I think I saw a price tag when the camera was panning past a stand at the Joe on tv and it said 150 which about what I figured.

Hockeytown Cafe is freakin sweet. Get there early because if it's anything like it was when I went (Nov 8th vs. NJ) then it'll be packed a couple hours before game time. Don't worry too much because they were very good at getting people moving through there and being nice about it. I had the pizza and thought it was great. Oh, and there is a FREE shuttle from the Hockeytown Cafe to the Joe so make sure to remember that so ya don't waste money on a cab.

Cheli's is a stone's throw from Hockeytown Cafe but I never had the chance to check that out.

Have a great time. My first time being at the Joe with my fellow Wings faithful is something I will always remember for the rest of my life.

Hockeytown Cafe sounds like it is going to be AWESOME I knew a girl who went to the joe and actually met Cleary and Lang and Maltby at the Cafe... she had pictures to prove.. I was so jealous.... What are the chances of that happening.... should we go there before the game and after the game.. I didn't know if they sometimes pop in there after a game or what not... her pictures were during the day, so who knows. What about the pride of Detroit, that only has the wings jersey on it during the playoffs doesn't it... wishful thinking huh...

Depends on the game and such. Since it is the 30th and they have the Winter Classic on the 1st, they might not hang anywhere downtown.

I met Osgood and Fedorov at the Post after one of the first Cups, they brought it in there and it was total chaos, considering the place is about 20 feet wide. Didn't stay long but it was very memorable.

I would think Hockeytown Authentics would be a little less pricy than the Joe. They have more selection there too.

Pride of Detroit statue is on Jefferson east of Joe Louis. No jersey on it yet!

And keep your camera with you, just in case.

Edited by AtomicPunk

Hockeytown before the game. Get there early. You can take the hockeytown shuttle to the game and back again. Or the people mover which is just a couple blocks away. However, after the game you have to go to Cheli's. Across the street from Hockeytown Cafe. Most nights after home games, providing they don't have next day games, you can see many of the players at cheli's. A number of them eat dinner at Cheli's after the games. Have met Nick, Hasek, Z, picture taken with Cheli and seen many more. Always a good time. And while your in the area, you might as well check out greektown. Just a couple blocks away from Cheli's. You can take the people mover again. Good luck have fun.

Guest Shoreline

I'd say take advantage of the empty seats if you are in the lower bowl, but not up front.

We went to a game last year for the first time in about 10 years. We parked at the Fox Theatre ramp and walked over to Cheli's. Arrived there about 5 pm before the game and was able to get a table for 4 right away. Food was okay. Typical pub grub. We then walked back to Hockeytown Cafe and took their shuttle to the game (Cheli's offered a free one too, but since Hockeytown Cafe was closer to our car for the return one, we decided to take the Hockeytown Cafe free shuttle instead. The kids actually wanted to do the People Mover thing. That would have been fine too since its so close.

After the game, we got on the first or second shuttle back to Hockeytown Cafe and our car. We got out of Detroit at least an hour sooner than if we had parked in the ramp at the Joe and had to deal with the traffic there. The shuttle was waiting curbside and headed in the right direction for Hockeytown Cafe. If you go that route, make sure you ask the shuttle driver where he'll be after the game - because there were at least 20 different shuttles all headed to different places.

Have fun. We had such a good time last year, that we're going again for the March 7 game.

hockeytown authentics or the joe are going to be outrageous prices. just sayin

yep, you can say that again... I think we spent almost $100 at Hockeytown authentics and only got like 3 or 4 items.

Oh well, they do have a nice selection so I think it's worth it. :)

have fun on the trip, we hope to return to DetroIt again soon!

Hey I was there last night. Will post pics soon.

Still try to get there early, if you do go to Hockeytown/Cheli's before the game. Get down to the ice level before they start pre-game skating, that's 30 minutes before game time. Ozzie leads the team to the ice, and you can see most of the players nose to nose. Go down to the Red Wings home zone, and take all the pics you want there. Some players toss pucks to the audience during practice. There were two landed right behind me last night. Oh the ushers will let you go down there during pre-game even if you don't have lower bowl tickets.

I actually think there're more choices in the Joe than Hockeytown Authentics (in city of Troy, quite a drive from Downtown). I got some stuff last night at the Joe. They were having 20% off of full priced items, and there are lots of marked down T-shirts too. A pleasant surprise is that there's no sales tax at the Joe (that's a 6% saving). They take all credit cards except for Discover.

Take extra memory, batteries with you. They run out fast if you take vedios.

After the game or during intermission, you can also walk up to the right end of press box and meet and greet Ken Kal, Ken Danials, and Mickey Redmond!

I will post again when I think of something.

Have fun!