• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest E_S_A_D

Sharks attribute success to Shelley's watchful Eye

Rate this topic

ENFORCER POLL  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest E_S_A_D

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/92980-j...-sharks-rolling

True, the San Jose captain and his team showed some grit and determination by eventually beating the Calgary Flames, but the damage had been done. Their weakness was exposed and a message was sent to their next opponent, the Dallas Stars: Bully the Sharks and win the series.

This was the weakness that only those of us who followed the Sharks day to day knew would eventually expose itself. The team was loaded with talent, yet when it came to getting physically punished by varying "thug and goon" lines, the Sharks had no solid answer.

The lack of consequence for opposing teams created a chain reaction that eventually brought down the Sharks' entire game plan. Players normally best at creating offensive scoring chances would focus on payback and order, with frustrating results.

The Sharks had created a scoring machine but had neglected to fill the position that makes hockey unique to all sports. That position? The enforcer.

B/R Ticket Guide San Jose Sharks @ Columbus Blue Jackets

on Wed, Dec 17 at 7:00PMTickets from

$27

Find TicketsSan Jose Sharks @ Detroit Red Wings

on Thu, Dec 18 at 7:30PMTickets from

$20

Find TicketsNew York Rangers @ San Jose Sharks

on Sat, Dec 20 at 7:30PMTickets from

$75

Find TicketsPowered by FanSnap.comFast forward to this season.

The Sharks against the Philadelphia Flyers had career tough guy Riley Cote take a run at Sharks' player Dan Boyle.

Within two seconds, Jody Shelley squared off against Cote and the fight was on. (For the sake of unbiased reporting, Hockeyfights.com has Shelley winning the fight by a decisive margin.)

Regardless of who won the fight, a new message had been sent to all opponents: You no longer have free reign at our players.

This message, along with Shelley's on ice presence, has been one of the keys to the Sharks' staggering success this year. With the thugs and goons kept in check, the offensive machine can focus on putting shots on the net. This has been Coach Todd McLellan's strategy from day one, and it seems to be working.

Guest E_S_A_D
I don't think Shelley's constant fights are one of the keys to the Sharks success. I do believe, though, that Shelley's improvement as a hockey player has helped the team and its defense greatly, especially the players on his line.

Constant fights? He chooses very carefully.

McCarty won't see the Wings again this year due to the fact he fought Hordi for no reason. Poor choice of timing with that fight.

Guest E_S_A_D

looking at this team versus last year's team, it's obvious that Shelley's role as a true

enforcer has been the glaring difference that seems to keep the machine rolling.

Protect the machine and the machine will produce.

This guy is right on.

Constant fights? He chooses very carefully.

McCarty won't see the Wings again this year due to the fact he fought Hordi for no reason. Poor choice of timing with that fight.

When I said constant, I didn't mean he just fights random players for no reason. He does choose his opponents carefully, but I don't believe his fights have played as big as a role as that writer believes it has.

Guest E_S_A_D
When I said constant, I didn't mean he just fights random players for no reason. He does choose his opponents carefully, but I don't believe his fights have played as big as a role as that writer believes it has.

Yah, I think the author was trying to hilight the accountability he provides for the stars, not his right cross.

i honestly think we are missing a drake or i hate to say it a downey. Downey has almost no hockey skills but he has the perfect attitude. It seems the team main problem is attitude right now. You cant say they dont have the talent. They are backing off of checks just trying to hold guys to the outside so they just chase people around in their own end. Stuart is at his best when hes mean if i see him back off a check again im gonna vomit. Same with Kromwell. BAH! i know they have a good record but they are pretty annoying to watch lately.

This is no new secret. The guys said last year that they appreciated Downey's presence on the team. Someone can bust out the quotes if they've got them.

Fact of the matter is, Downey is an after-thought to a team that lets the puck find its way into the back of their net more than 3 times a game. If you want to have an enforcer on the squad, you have to get the most out of your other 11 players up front, especially in your bottom 3, because hes probably not gonna take more than a few speciality shifts. Unfortunately, it takes Draper, Maltby, and Kopecky combineed to have about the effectiveness of one solid grinder, so its just not efficient to have Downey in the lineup right now. I dont like it either, but I'm not Holland.

The key to a winning hockey team is being well rounded, and that the Sharks are this year. For a couple years we were not a well rounded squad (05,06), we decide to work on the element we were missing (by adding Drake and Downey) and look what happens.

Please don't ask how many playoff games Downey played in, its somewhat tired. The fact of the matter is that there are 82 hockey games before the playoffs, during that time a teams mindset and makeup are formed -- and then come playoff time the role players (IE Downey) tend to fade somewhat.

But it's OK, because the skill guys, the guys who weren't asked to provide everything from goals, to grit and when needed "enforcement", throughout the entirety of the regular season can shoulder it all for the span of the playoffs.

Someone should look up how many Stanley Cups Jody Shelley has won. It can't be more than eight or nine because that would be getting in Jean Beliveau territory and I like to think I'd remember that. Shelley was playing with them last year, too, right? When they collapsed from too many passengers?

A slow-skating two-minute-per-game goon is just not part of Mike Babcock hockey in 2008. Let's live with that and, in fact, embrace it. Teams are bending over backwards to imitate it. If people here really think getting rid of Maltby and Draper and adding a thug is going to help the dressing room or on-ice chemistry, I don't think I can agree with that.

I'd rather have a good penalty killer/faceoff man than a goon as my 18th skater. And I'll die with that on my tombstone.

This is no new secret. The guys said last year that they appreciated Downey's presence on the team. Someone can bust out the quotes if they've got them.

Fact of the matter is, Downey is an after-thought to a team that lets the puck find its way into the back of their net more than 3 times a game. If you want to have an enforcer on the squad, you have to get the most out of your other 11 players up front, especially in your bottom 3, because hes probably not gonna take more than a few speciality shifts. Unfortunately, it takes Draper, Maltby, and Kopecky combineed to have about the effectiveness of one solid grinder, so its just not efficient to have Downey in the lineup right now. I dont like it either, but I'm not Holland.

One thing this team does seem to lack right now is energy and intensity. It takes someone taking a two goal lead on them to cause them to wake up and start playing. They look like they could use an "energy guy" out there pumping them up. I think Downey and Drake provided that last year, and so far it is missing this year. I remember reading a lot of Downey's quotes, and even in his locker room celebration interview with the CBC, he talked about the mentality he brings to the rink. I have to believe that rubbed off on his teammates and inspired them to work harder doing their jobs while he took care of his protecting them.

Their unreal power play was bailing them out to start the year, but now that has gone in slump, and they are starting to struggle a little bit. Maybe this will be a sign that it is time to change the way they are playing.

Someone should look up how many Stanley Cups Jody Shelley has won. It can't be more than eight or nine because that would be getting in Jean Beliveau territory and I like to think I'd remember that. Shelley was playing with them last year, too, right? When they collapsed from too many passengers?

A slow-skating two-minute-per-game goon is just not part of Mike Babcock hockey in 2008. Let's live with that and, in fact, embrace it. Teams are bending over backwards to imitate it. If people here really think getting rid of Maltby and Draper and adding a thug is going to help the dressing room or on-ice chemistry, I don't think I can agree with that.

I'd rather have a good penalty killer/faceoff man than a goon as my 18th skater. And I'll die with that on my tombstone.

Ha ha, you are the quintessential example of someone who really doesn't, nor really ever has followed hockey. Shelley is far from a goon, he is a role player yes -- but individuals like yourself don't understand the role he play thus the whole "worthless goon" argument.

How many times do stars of the Game, whether it be Gretzky, Yzerman, Lidstrom, Zetterburg, Hull, the list goes on forever, have to state that they respect, and love having guys there to watch there backs and that enforcers are good for the game, and good for the skill guys on that given team.

And what type of NHL are you talking about, you know, the one you mentioned in you diatribe on how worthless guys like Shelley are.

Is it the same NHL that in this (the 08-09 season) has fighting up for the third consecutive year in a row? Is it that NHL?

PER Mike Brophy on October 27, 2008 via sportsnet.ca

"Through the first 119 games played this season, an average of 1.47 fighting majors have been called per game. That’s up from just over one fighting major per game at the same point last season.

So is the NHL concerned? Nope.

"We haven’t really discussed fighting internally for quite some time," said NHL vice-president Mike Murphy. "When we do talk about it we generally talk about the magnitude of today’s fighters; the size of them and how much power they have. We don’t really worry about the knockout punch; more about the fact a player could hit his head on the ice if he gets punched hard."

The fact is, fighting has steadily been on the increase the past three years.

In 2005-06 an average of .75 fighting majors were called each game. That increased to .80 in 2006-07 and 1.07 last season. And if you thought the days of a team carrying a designated fighter would end just because the league cracked down on obstruction in an effort to generate more goals and scoring chances coming out of the lockout, forget about it."

Please clear it up for us.

The key to a winning hockey team is being well rounded, and that the Sharks are this year. For a couple years we were not a well rounded squad (05,06), we decide to work on the element we were missing (by adding Drake and Downey) and look what happens.

Please don't ask how many playoff games Downey played in, its somewhat tired. The fact of the matter is that there are 82 hockey games before the playoffs, during that time a teams mindset and makeup are formed -- and then come playoff time the role players (IE Downey) tend to fade somewhat.

But it's OK, because the skill guys, the guys who weren't asked to provide everything from goals, to grit and when needed "enforcement", throughout the entirety of the regular season can shoulder it all for the span of the playoffs.

lol, such fantastic reasoning - The fact that we won the cup without an enforcer proves the fact that the enforcer was key. Bravo! :clap::clap:

I'd like for us to have a little bit more toughness on the team and 1 or 2 guys who are prepared to drop the gloves - but as 1 of 18 regular skaters, not a 2-shift-per-game passenger like Downey. Any fighter on our roster needs to be able hold his place as a player first and foremost and a fighter second. Shanny, McCarty and Lapointe were all on the team because they could play. That they fought was an added bonus.

For all of those that preach, "our powerplay is our enforcer" and "I prefer winning and all skilled lineups over dressing a fighter;" I ask you this: How many cups have the Wings won without someone that can drop the gloves playing in a majority of the regular season games?.... I'll answer it real quick, 0.

lol, such fantastic reasoning - The fact that we won the cup without an enforcer proves the fact that the enforcer was key. Bravo! :clap::clap:

I'd like for us to have a little bit more toughness on the team and 1 or 2 guys who are prepared to drop the gloves - but as 1 of 18 regular skaters, not a 2-shift-per-game passenger like Downey. Any fighter on our roster needs to be able hold his place as a player first and foremost and a fighter second. Shanny, McCarty and Lapointe were all on the team because they could play. That they fought was an added bonus.

When did you people start watching hockey?

The NHL has always and will always have tough, gritty enforcers. They have their place in the game and have evolved out of necessity. Todays enforcer still exists and will continue to be a part of winning teams.

Go back and name me one team that had no enforcer and won the Cup. You won't be able to. The Wings had their tough guys last year. Drake, Downey and Mac. 3 people that dropped the gloves...

We'll all be waiting to hear about all the teams without a tough guy/enforcer on their team who have won the Cup. Please let us know...

"Protect the machine and the machine will produce."

Hmm. This guy might be on to something. But I doubt most on here care, I mean we have OUR powerplay afterall, who needs a good hard working, great attitude, farm boy who all the players admited that they liked and felt better having him on the bench. Who needs him right?

Excellent post. Anyone who thinks without donwey we wouldn't have won the cup (or even would have had a harder time) is delusional. Downey brings nothing come the time when it matters. Sorry.

Would it be great to have a tough player who fights, plays physical and hits AND plays well, absolutely. But we don'tn have on, and downey isn't one. Either way, I'd rather have hossa.

Edited by Z and D for the C

When did you people start watching hockey?

1992 :)

Go back and name me one team that had no enforcer and won the Cup. You won't be able to. The Wings had their tough guys last year. Drake, Downey and Mac. 3 people that dropped the gloves...

We'll all be waiting to hear about all the teams without a tough guy/enforcer on their team who have won the Cup. Please let us know...

Lets flip that shall we? How many times have the wings had an enforcer and FAILED to win the cup? Hmm?

How many Stanley Cups did the Detroit Red Wings win with Bob Probert - the greatest enforcer of all time - in their line-up?

1992 :)

Lets flip that shall we? How many times have the wings had an enforcer and FAILED to win the cup? Hmm?

How many Stanley Cups did the Detroit Red Wings win with Bob Probert - the greatest enforcer of all time - in their line-up?

No one is saying an enforcer is the key ingredient, smart guy. It's about balance, those teams just weren't good.

Excellent post. Anyone who thinks without donwey we wouldn't have won the cup (or even would have had a harder time) is delusional. Downey brings nothing come the time when it matters. Sorry.

Would it be great to have a tough player who fights, plays physical and hits AND plays well, absolutely. But we don'tn have on, and downey isn't one. Either way, I'd rather have hossa.

Again, just poor hockey knowledge. Having a guy like Downey brings more than just an on ice presence, he can help change the team's attitude, that's what everyone has been saying for a while now. Downey wouldn't take Hossa's spot in the line up so that's irrelevant who you'd rather have.

Tme when it matters is the playoffs.

I don't remember Downey playing in the playoffs.

When I say I'd rather have hossa, I mean over someone other than downey. Holland may have been able to sign someone like I descibied during the off season, but at the expense of Hossa. Not worth it. That's what I'm saying.

I really miss Drake. I wish we had another "Drake" this year. I don't think I even realized how important he was till recently. I know the team said they wanted to win it for him, but I really thought it was just lip service.