• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

12/18 GDT: Red Wings 6, Sharks 0

Rate this topic

But I have to ask...did we look good...or did we look lucky?

They looked like the defending Cup champions. Exceptionally good, in every aspect of the game. Luck had nothing to do with it.

If the Red Wings play there line-up as is without any last minute call ups, they lose. Kings are too physically dominant and I think the Wings will get crushed by at least two goals.

If the Wings call up a player and bench Kopecky/ Draper/ and or Maltby, then we have a shot.

My prediction- 4-2, Wings lose.

You know Todd is going to be preaching to keep the checking and pressure on Detroit, be rough because Babcock is spineless with physical play.

Your hilarious, you bill yourself as some kind of hockey oracle all the while wining about physical play and Downey. You attack out of town fans as not real fans because they haven't been to the Joe as many times as you or don't have the privilege of living in Michigan. You incessantly rip Babcock and Euro's when its easy and convenient regardless of the fact that Babcock if he never wins another game he will have two more Stanley Cup rings than you ever will. Totally pathetic.

Great game, was nice to see what most people believed all along that motivation was the main issue. SJ didn't bring their total package but 6-0 tells me that it wouldn't have mattered. Hopefully they can continue to build off this game and finish up December strong.

Your hilarious, you bill yourself as some kind of hockey oracle all the while wining about physical play and Downey. You attack out of town fans as not real fans because they haven't been to the Joe as many times as you or don't have the privilege of living in Michigan. You incessantly rip Babcock and Euro's when its easy and convenient regardless of the fact that Babcock if he never wins another game he will have two more Stanley Cup rings than you ever will. Totally pathetic.

Great game, was nice to see what most people believed all along that motivation was the main issue. SJ didn't bring their total package but 6-0 tells me that it wouldn't have mattered. Hopefully they can continue to build off this game and finish up December strong.

Where did Babcock get his second Stanley Cup ring? Or are you just making a prediction for this years champs!

Please! One bad blowout loss doesn't make them overrated, just that the Wings were on tonight and can beat anyone when they play a full 60 minutes.

Don't go overboard and knock the Sharks for one embarrassing loss, because I guarantee it'll happen to the Wings before the year is over. Are they then overrated?

Great game all-around by the Wings, and they sent (beyond) a statement with this win.

The Wings have won many Cups in recent memory, while the Sharks can't get out of the 2nd round.

I still feel like there's nothing to worry about from the Sharks, since they're purely a regular season team. From what I saw last night, my opinion definitely hasn't changed.

They're good, but they are still overrated, just because of how high some people tend to regard their team.

Where did Babcock get his second Stanley Cup ring? Or are you just making a prediction for this years champs!

That or E.S.A.D has -1 rings due to a mathematical error during the Habs '86 Cup run the accidently put him down as a -1. It was a typo and a clerical error, but at this point in time it is too late to change the stats, E.S.A.D's statue of limitations has passed!

The Wings have won many Cups in recent memory, while the Sharks can't get out of the 2nd round.

I still feel like there's nothing to worry about from the Sharks, since they're purely a regular season team. From what I saw last night, my opinion definitely hasn't changed.

They're good, but they are still overrated, just because of how high some people tend to regard their team.

Really? The Sharks stole the Champs' assistant coach and vastly strengthened their blue-line; they're certainly a much stronger team than they were last year. If you remember correctly, prior to our first Cup win in the 1990's the Red Wings were written off for the same reason.

Last night I couldn't stop grinning. That's the team we all know and love. It almost felt vindicating to watch; I think last night was a pretty good testament to the fact that the Red Wings haven't been playing like they know they're capable of, yet it's still in there somewhere. Even Babcock said in a post-game something along the lines of "these boys can play really well as long as they're excited for it, and that's something we've been missing thus far this season."

Great game! :thumbup:

No, its just because you can't see how truly different this team is from years past. This is not the same Sharks team....from the experience they've brought in on the blue line to the new coaching style to the work-ethic they display...they are going to be a force.

The fact of the matter is people used the excuse that the Sharks aren't a playoff team after the Wings got beat by 4-2 to now they're suddenly once again not afraid of them because the Wings blew them out last night. It's bulls***. It's just people calming their fears.

I'm most certainly not saying the Sharks will beat the Wings in the conference finals if they are fortunate enough to meet up against one another, but they do deserve respect given the changes they've made and how differently the team is playing and coached. If you truly can't see any difference from last year, I question how closely you're paying attention to them.

No, its just because you can't see how truly different this team is from years past. This is not the same Sharks team....from the experience they've brought in on the blue line to the new coaching style to the work-ethic they display...they are going to be a force.

The fact of the matter is people used the excuse that the Sharks aren't a playoff team after the Wings got beat by 4-2 to now they're suddenly once again not afraid of them because the Wings blew them out last night. It's bulls***. It's just people calming their fears.

I'm most certainly not saying the Sharks will beat the Wings in the conference finals if they are fortunate enough to meet up against one another, but they do deserve respect given the changes they've made and how differently the team is playing and coached. If you truly can't see any difference from last year, I question how closely you're paying attention to them.

Right on, Mac. :thumbup: I have a lot of respect for the Sharks' team and organization. They are my #2 team (waaay down the ladder after the Wings), except when they beat the Wings -- or rather when the Wings allow them to win. :blush:

The Sharks are a team to be reckoned with when they are on their game. I am very happy the Wings know that, as well. :cool:

Guest Shoreline

The Sharks and Wings play a similar game. Sharks were losing, and didn't go headhunting. They still tried to play hard, still tried to score for the sake of some pride, and were obviously pissed at themselves and the results of the game. This would not have been the case against a good handful of other teams. They'd have brought out the goons to "send a message". This is why I respect the Sharks, because the Wings were the same way. Play hard, and if you lose, lose gracefully.

I also look forward to the Jan 17th game in San Jose when both teams won't be on the ass end of a back to back.

Any way you look at it, the Sharks are playing great hockey, the Wings are playing better but still uninspired hockey. Maybe this will be the game that they get amped for from start to finish, don't see it happening though.

I see this game as a wake up call after losing 5-2 to the Sharks the Wings realize they have work to do.

I am a big Wings fans but even through my Red colored classes this is a hard game to see a W.

hahahahahah pessimist

Here's the problem I have with this all. The Sharks have had great seasons the last few years. The failing has always been that no matter how great they play in March they haven't stepped it up like all the other teams do when the playoffs start.

Playing at the level that they are now will NOT be enough in the playoffs because everybody else is going to play with more urgency. Until we get to the playoffs and see if the Sharks are going to play playoff hockey it all is just speculation.

The Wings won 62 games in 1996 and in the Conference Finals even though they were a much better team than the one that was crushed is the SCF the previous year. We all said that they were "truly different than the past years team".

hahahahahah pessimist

Like I said in my post from earlier today, looking at just the goals I would have said SJ won. Really impressed with the team game last night. 60 minutes Red Wing Hockey!!

Maybe the Col game was the wake up call or maybe they were just biding their time, conserving a little!!

Thought I'd chime in here after watching you guys thoroughly embarrass my guys last night. No excuses, this was just a good old-fashoned ass-whippin' and the final score is about what you'd expect when one team plays well and the other doesn't. Nabokov set the tone with his peewee-like whiffs on Franzen and Datsyuk and at that point, I knew it wouldn't be our night. But full credit to the Wings who continually backed our D-men in, giving them time and space to execute their deadly offense as well as terrific forecheck and neutral zone pressure that forced the Sharks into numerous giveaways and dump-outs on their possessions.

Personally, in some ways, I am glad that this happened. We needed to get slapped around a bit to get us back to playing like we did earlier in the season. And you are right when you remind us that, based on our past playoff performances, we ain't done nothing yet. But what I will be looking at is what happens Saturday, at home against the Rangers. And Tuesday against the Canucks. And our next road trip to St. Louis, Dallas and Minny. As you guys know, it's how a team responds to adversity. If we bounce back with four or five wins we'll know that things will be different this spring, that this is an improved version of a very good team. If not, it'll probably mean tee-times in May again for the Sharks while the Wings skate into June.

But I'm still hoping for a Sharks-Wings WCF this season. That is when winning really matters.

Until the 17th of January . . . good luck.

Regarding ESAD

Your hilarious, you bill yourself as some kind of hockey oracle all the while wining about physical play and Downey. You attack out of town fans as not real fans because they haven't been to the Joe as many times as you or don't have the privilege of living in Michigan. You incessantly rip Babcock and Euro's when its easy and convenient regardless of the fact that Babcock if he never wins another game he will have one more Stanley Cup rings than you ever will. Totally pathetic.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

THIS IS WITHOUT A DOUBT MY FAVORITE POST IN THE LAST FEW DAYS!!!!!! All that guy does is talk about how the Wings suck (management, coaching, and players) and that anyone who disagrees with him has never been to the Joe and is not a real hockey fan like him because he has had season tickets for a long time. Then he is all up on the Sharks jock about how great they are because of "Shelley's Watchful Eye" and as proof links to a Sharks fan that found out how to post his opinion on the internet (ESAD then magically turned that fan's opinion into the Shark's opinion and then ESPN's). Shelley played 9:31 had 3 hits, 1 shot, 0 blocks, and was a -1 . . . but according to ESAD is the reason for the Shark's success this season and the Wings are pansies. Tons of posts about how the Wings are weak and soft and the Sharks are better but nary a peep out of him when our Wings trounce the Sharks (who are an incredible team but not really because of Shelley).

Thought I'd chime in here after watching you guys thoroughly embarrass my guys last night. No excuses, this was just a good old-fashoned ass-whippin' and the final score is about what you'd expect when one team plays well and the other doesn't. Nabokov set the tone with his peewee-like whiffs on Franzen and Datsyuk and at that point, I knew it wouldn't be our night. But full credit to the Wings who continually backed our D-men in, giving them time and space to execute their deadly offense as well as terrific forecheck and neutral zone pressure that forced the Sharks into numerous giveaways and dump-outs on their possessions.

Personally, in some ways, I am glad that this happened. We needed to get slapped around a bit to get us back to playing like we did earlier in the season. And you are right when you remind us that, based on our past playoff performances, we ain't done nothing yet. But what I will be looking at is what happens Saturday, at home against the Rangers. And Tuesday against the Canucks. And our next road trip to St. Louis, Dallas and Minny. As you guys know, it's how a team responds to adversity. If we bounce back with four or five wins we'll know that things will be different this spring, that this is an improved version of a very good team. If not, it'll probably mean tee-times in May again for the Sharks while the Wings skate into June.

But I'm still hoping for a Sharks-Wings WCF this season. That is when winning really matters.

Great post and very true. I personally don't think that this Sharks team can be compared to the past few that much. I think they are a much better team and I think they will bounce back just fine. I agree that it is probably good for the Sharks - they were winning too many games too easy and that can be difficult for a team in the long run. In the end they still only lost the two points in the standing for losing the game and it gives them something to remember and to work for and to help motivate as they go through a long 82 game season. If you have won as many games as the Sharks have so far a few good whippings can really help you stay hungry and aggressive. I have little doubt that barring injuries we will see a Sharks v. Wings Western Conference Finals - and what a WCF it should be.

If noone has said it yet, welcome to the board. I am glad to have opponents fans here discussing in a rational way....even if we disagree! SJ is a worthy opponent and I for one do not take them lightly. Good luck this season, although I hope the Wings win the cup.

You ever venture to the Tied House?

When I worked in San Jose I'd go there every Friday or when the company would pay for our nights out.

Packed with Sharks fans on hockey days. Would sport my Wings stuff whenever I could. Great people, and very smart hockey fans, just like here.

Yup, though not all that frequently. I have to drive 45 minutes to an hour to get to the tank from where I live. I will occasionally use that as a pre or post game hangout when I'm not super busy.

anyone catch nhl on the fly?? the two guys gave absolutely no credit to conklin for keeping the score at zero, and attributed all six of ours to nabokov. HA! they also said pashas first goal was luck :rolleyes:

edit: direct quote " i dont think it was so much as the wings playing good as nabokov playing bad "

Edited by j.hoop

anyone catch nhl on the fly?? the two guys gave absolutely no credit to conklin for keeping the score at zero, and attributed all six of ours to nabokov. HA! they also said pashas first goal was luck :rolleyes:

edit: direct quote " i dont think it was so much as the wings playing good as nabokov playing bad "

Nabby wasn't good, but as for the Wings playing bad... :lol:

If they had been bad at all, we LGW'ers would have been all over them and picking them apart, right? :hehe:

Conklin was great. There is no such thing as an easy shut out in the NHL, I am convinced.

Here's the problem I have with this all. The Sharks have had great seasons the last few years. The failing has always been that no matter how great they play in March they haven't stepped it up like all the other teams do when the playoffs start.

Playing at the level that they are now will NOT be enough in the playoffs because everybody else is going to play with more urgency. Until we get to the playoffs and see if the Sharks are going to play playoff hockey it all is just speculation.

The Wings won 62 games in 1996 and in the Conference Finals even though they were a much better team than the one that was crushed is the SCF the previous year. We all said that they were "truly different than the past years team".

Here's the thing you're continuing to overlook though....just like the Wings team that failed in the playoffs up until '97, they didn't make the necessary changes to both their style and a few key players. The nucleus is there in SJ, just as it was in Detroit in the mid-90's...they just needed the piece that put it all together. Bringing in Boyle and Blake who bring playoff success as well as a Stanley Cup winning assistant coach to show them the sacrifice it requires to win the Cup could very well be the piece of the puzzle that was missing all along.

If these two teams are fortunate enough to meet up in the Conference Finals I believe it will be an epic battle with either team having a solid shot of moving on, but to write a team off because of past failures was the same thing teams did with the Wings up until 97. As Babs says, "if you keep knocking on the door, eventually its gonna open up." Let's hope this isn't that year for SJ becuase this isn't the same Sharks team thats failed in the past.