• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sjradio

Bettman: Oilers need a new arena

Rate this topic

New Red Wings Arena  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/hock...2702/story.html

I would have to agree with that assessment, The Pens are getting rid of the igloo, the Isles are redoing the Nassau. That leaves the Joe and Rexall Place as the NHL's oldest arenas.

I don't know if Edmonton would like "abandoning" the place of the Oiler glory years, but if the Leafs can leave MLG, and the Habs to leave the Forum, and the Hawks to leave Chicago Stadium. I think the Oilers could leave Rexall. The place is backwards for TV, having the Benches on the TV side and the visitors have to walk almost around the arena to the locker room, the home team literally has to walk through the concourse to get to and from the ice. It's time.

That being said, the Red Wings should also be on the list of teams looking at new venues, but I think with the current state of the US economy and the Michigan economy even worse, the Wings are stuck at the joe for another 10 years or so (IMHO).

Now, the Wings really could do some upgrades to the arena. I think it is time for a new scoreboard at the joe, I know they just replaced the video screens about 3 years ago, but the boards in the corners of the arena are old and outdated and are just in the way, they can go. They also have the out of town scoreboards on the sides. When I was there for the Columbus game a few weeks ago, none of them were working.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/hock...2702/story.html

I would have to agree with that assessment, The Pens are getting rid of the igloo, the Isles are redoing the Nassau. That leaves the Joe and Rexall Place as the NHL's oldest arenas.

I don't know if Edmonton would like "abandoning" the place of the Oiler glory years, but if the Leafs can leave MLG, and the Habs to leave the Forum, and the Hawks to leave Chicago Stadium. I think the Oilers could leave Rexall. The place is backwards for TV, having the Benches on the TV side and the visitors have to walk almost around the arena to the locker room, the home team literally has to walk through the concourse to get to and from the ice. It's time.

That being said, the Red Wings should also be on the list of teams looking at new venues, but I think with the current state of the US economy and the Michigan economy even worse, the Wings are stuck at the joe for another 10 years or so (IMHO).

Now, the Wings really could do some upgrades to the arena. I think it is time for a new scoreboard at the joe, I know they just replaced the video screens about 3 years ago, but the boards in the corners of the arena are old and outdated and are just in the way, they can go. They also have the out of town scoreboards on the sides. When I was there for the Columbus game a few weeks ago, none of them were working.

I did not vote, specifically because my response could easily yield me answering all the selections.

If it is in terms of needing a "new" or "modernized" facelift, without question the Wings could use a new arena. You are spot on with the economy probably increasing chances of preventing any new immediate arena construction though.

However, I have been fortunate to come watch a small amount of games at JLA in my lifetime, and there isn't a bad seat in the house. True the arena look overall is fairly boring to me, but I go to sporting events to watch the games first and foremost, not initially admire how nice the stadium or arena is. Just give me a halfway decent seat to watch the game, urinals and restrooms that work, and a comfortable arena setting and I'm usually a happy guy. I'm not hard to please and don't need to be thoroughly entertained.

I didn't go to many Stars games when I was in college in the Dallas area, but I did see a few in Reunion Arena where they used to play. Nothing fancy about the arena, just a basic bowl shape with 1 upper/lower deck similar to JLA, but there was never a bad seat in the house, and since everything was pretty compact the arena could get loud very quick.

You should have throw in a, "No, but the Joe should be renovated" response.

Replace the seats with ones that have cup holders, update all the digital display boards, redo the bathrooms and call it a day. There is no good reason to abandon the Joe and all the tradition wrapped up in it just so we can have something shiny.

I did not vote, specifically because my response could easily yield me answering all the selections.

If it is in terms of needing a "new" or "modernized" facelift, without question the Wings could use a new arena. You are spot on with the economy probably increasing chances of preventing any new immediate arena construction though.

However, I have been fortunate to come watch a small amount of games at JLA in my lifetime, and there isn't a bad seat in the house. True the arena look overall is fairly boring to me, but I go to sporting events to watch the games first and foremost, not initially admire how nice the stadium or arena is. Just give me a halfway decent seat to watch the game, urinals and restrooms that work, and a comfortable arena setting and I'm usually a happy guy. I'm not hard to please and don't need to be thoroughly entertained.

I agree. The reason I go is to watch the game. While I'm sure some updates or new arena would be nice, I have to wonder how it would effect ticket prices as well.

Madison Square Garden will be the oldest building in the league.

Add some bathrooms to The Joe and I'm a happy camper. I've been going there since it opened - I have my routines, my parking down, the routes in and out; I see no reason to get a new arena. If anything, re-do the parking lot to make it easier to get in and out. I park there when I'm running behind, but it takes longer to get out of the garage than it does to get home.

I brought this up in another thread about this last season I think:

But be very weary of new buildings. One of the reasons the ownership group keeps renovating Fenway is that it is an icon.

So wasn't the Garden, when they built the new building the complaint is that it just isn't the same. That while newer may be more comfortable or more eye catching the only newer Stadium that gets real praise is Camden Yards and that was because they specifically built it out to have that old school baseball feel.

I know and open roof baseball stadium is easier to expand and make newer/better, but what they did with the Monster seats is unbelievable. One of the best places in the Majors to catch a game.

You can not recreate the Green monster, you cannot recreate the Joe Louis, attempting to do that either leaves a cheesy feel or ruins the experience.

Newer and more modern for the sake of newer and more modern is not always good. Lots of times the experience of being there is lost.

Just my $0.02

Edited by Opie

However, I have been fortunate to come watch a small amount of games at JLA in my lifetime, and there isn't a bad seat in the house.

I didn't go to many Stars games when I was in college in the Dallas area, but I did see a few in Reunion Arena where they used to play. Nothing fancy about the arena, just a basic bowl shape with 1 upper/lower deck similar to JLA, but there was never a bad seat in the house, and since everything was pretty compact the arena could get loud very quick.

Sit in section 204A Row 27. It's like sitting behind the old pillars at baseball games. You can't see anything in front of you. Though it looked like they cutout a chunk of the inside of the Joe and stuck some seats in it. In that row your deeper back then the press box.

This is what it looks like when sitting before people came into the building. I should of took one when the game was going on but you can get a broad idea of how bad it will be with bodies/heads in the way.

xbw9bl.jpg

Edited by Jwo

how come nobody mentioned the fact that it is impossible to move inside the joe because the walkways are tiny. this is the main reason they need a new arena. not to mention the top rows in the corners of the upper bowl are terrible views and its 2009 so why are humans still pissing in a bathtub? Sorry to say it but the Joe needs to go. It reminds me of Tiger Stadium and theres a reason why a wrecking ball went throught it last summer.

how come nobody mentioned the fact that it is impossible to move inside the joe because the walkways are tiny. this is the main reason they need a new arena. not to mention the top rows in the corners of the upper bowl are terrible views and its 2009 so why are humans still pissing in a bathtub? Sorry to say it but the Joe needs to go. It reminds me of Tiger Stadium and theres a reason why a wrecking ball went throught it last summer.

It is because most of us care more about the game and are less concerned with all of the other bulls*** like the venue. I still say shutting down Tiger Stadium was a huge mistake. I would not be as sad to see the Wings leave the Joe but I would miss it. You can not replace history and tradition.

Guest Shoreline

I guess there's a good compromise then. Remodel the Joe, create bigger walking paths. You keep the Joe, and have a more modern venue that helps attract customers and is more sound safety-wise and aesthetically (for your viewing pleasure).

Add some bathrooms to The Joe and I'm a happy camper. I've been going there since it opened - I have my routines, my parking down, the routes in and out; I see no reason to get a new arena. If anything, re-do the parking lot to make it easier to get in and out. I park there when I'm running behind, but it takes longer to get out of the garage than it does to get home.

The Godfather would like some cup holders though... ;)

Guest Shoreline
The Godfather would like some cup holders though... ;)

Got Wife? ;)

Edited by Shoreline

Madison Square Garden will be the oldest building in the league.

I don't really count MSG. MSG underwent a major renovation and multi million dollar upgrade in 1991. It's almost like a new MSG.

It is because most of us care more about the game and are less concerned with all of the other bulls*** like the venue. I still say shutting down Tiger Stadium was a huge mistake. I would not be as sad to see the Wings leave the Joe but I would miss it. You can not replace history and tradition.

About Tiger Stadium ^^^^^ What they said!

Regarding the Joe, I love it, i really do but a brand new shinny arena would most def bring in more ticket sales. Not to mention the Iliches don't own the Joe, i know they just renewed the lease. Use the time that we have left to build a new one.

Make it look nice inside, lower the pizza prices, add pads to the seats, hd monitors, add some seats, get rid of the douchebag vendors that block your view, rename it to Steve Yzerman arena, who really cares about that wanker joe louis anyways.

Make it look nice inside, lower the pizza prices, add pads to the seats, hd monitors, add some seats, get rid of the douchebag vendors that block your view, rename it to Steve Yzerman arena, who really cares about that wanker joe louis anyways.

The people that decided to name an arena after him. Must be kinda an important guy to do so I'd re-consider my wanker comment there...

:unsure:

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

My only complaint of the Joe is the shared concorse. It's a pain, in the you know where, getting out to the street after a game. The concession and washroom lines during the game are brutal too, to the point where I don't, unless there's an emergency, leave my seat during the game.

I know some people have problems with the location of the arena, but I come from Windsor for games, so I love the location. :lol:

I'm ok either way. If they build a new arena, that's cool, if The Joe stays around for a while, that's cool too. There's to many memories and moments in that building. I'd really miss that place once it's gone.

I think the Wings need a new arena but with caution. I go to a lot of games in Boston. The Fleet Shawmut TDBank...is awful. It has the personality of a wet noodle. Dull, dull, dull. I am also not a big fan of the United Center. In the corners, upper bowl, it is stunning how far away from the ice you are. Columbus...I was actually impressed by the arena. Great views from everywhere and I like the table seats at the top of the lower bowl. I really enjoyed it.

My 'I don't get it' moment comes when we look at wat the fans want. Hockey fans like the old barns. Chicago was awesome. With the great overhang of the upper deck, you were on top of the ice. Same with Maple Leaf Gardens. Verticle is better. Why cannot architects and engineers build something classic with modern efficiency (i.e. lots of bath rooms and taps). Instead, everything seems modled after the Palace in one way or another. Someone on this forum needs to either become an architect or send their kid to school to be one. If the Wings announced today that they were building a new arena with the classic feel, all would welcome it.

Just a thought.

Sincerely,

Art Vandelay