• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sjradio

Bettman: Oilers need a new arena

Rate this topic

New Red Wings Arena  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the Wings need a new arena but with caution. I go to a lot of games in Boston. The Fleet Shawmut TDBank...is awful. It has the personality of a wet noodle. Dull, dull, dull. I am also not a big fan of the United Center. In the corners, upper bowl, it is stunning how far away from the ice you are. Columbus...I was actually impressed by the arena. Great views from everywhere and I like the table seats at the top of the lower bowl. I really enjoyed it.

My 'I don't get it' moment comes when we look at wat the fans want. Hockey fans like the old barns. Chicago was awesome. With the great overhang of the upper deck, you were on top of the ice. Same with Maple Leaf Gardens. Verticle is better. Why cannot architects and engineers build something classic with modern efficiency (i.e. lots of bath rooms and taps). Instead, everything seems modled after the Palace in one way or another. Someone on this forum needs to either become an architect or send their kid to school to be one. If the Wings announced today that they were building a new arena with the classic feel, all would welcome it.

Just a thought.

Sincerely,

Art Vandelay

I agree the stadiums need to get more vertical

Joe Louis Arena is a dump, there's no two ways around it. If you're somebody like me and have absolutely no sentimental attachment to the place, you tend to see it for what it is.

I've been to one game at the Joe, that was five years ago now, and I've never been back and have no desire to.

About Tiger Stadium ^^^^^ What they said!

Regarding the Joe, I love it, i really do but a brand new shinny arena would most def bring in more ticket sales. Not to mention the Iliches don't own the Joe, i know they just renewed the lease. Use the time that we have left to build a new one.

I would love to see them renovate the Joe, or if they build a new one, make it look very similar to what the Olympia was inside and out. That was a beautiful building and should have never been razed.

Tiger Stadium was 10 times the place Comerica ever was, just like Olympia was probably 10 times what the Joe is. The problem with the new venues is that you need binoculars just to see the field or ice. They build them out to save money and make room for all of the gayness that is the boxes and Ferris wheels.

In my opinion, Chicago Stadium was probably the best NHL arena ever. It was loud, it had a pretty big capacity (17,000 +), had lots of overhangs with few obstructions, and had the big organ. Maple Leaf Gardens is obviously historic and unique, but perhaps a little overrated; the upper seating along the side boards was a long way from the ice. You may have already seen this Mr. Vandelay, but you might want to check out the New Olympia Stadium plan, I think its right up your alley.

I think the Wings need a new arena but with caution. I go to a lot of games in Boston. The Fleet Shawmut TDBank...is awful. It has the personality of a wet noodle. Dull, dull, dull. I am also not a big fan of the United Center. In the corners, upper bowl, it is stunning how far away from the ice you are. Columbus...I was actually impressed by the arena. Great views from everywhere and I like the table seats at the top of the lower bowl. I really enjoyed it.

My 'I don't get it' moment comes when we look at wat the fans want. Hockey fans like the old barns. Chicago was awesome. With the great overhang of the upper deck, you were on top of the ice. Same with Maple Leaf Gardens. Verticle is better. Why cannot architects and engineers build something classic with modern efficiency (i.e. lots of bath rooms and taps). Instead, everything seems modled after the Palace in one way or another. Someone on this forum needs to either become an architect or send their kid to school to be one. If the Wings announced today that they were building a new arena with the classic feel, all would welcome it.

Just a thought.

Sincerely,

Art Vandelay

Guys like Bobby Orr, Mark Messier, Ray Borque were pretty important as well. How come they don't have arenas named after them?

Because even though the fans perceive some kind of "Importance" of these players, that still doesn't outweigh the $50 million naming rights most new arenas receive.

You have a better chance of seeing Pavel Datsyuk Place before you see Steve Yzerman Arena, it WONT happen. Hell, Illitch is more than likely to name it after Little Ceasars before any player, its just not financially respondsible.

Joe Louis Arena is a dump, there's no two ways around it. If you're somebody like me and have absolutely no sentimental attachment to the place, you tend to see it for what it is.

I've been to one game at the Joe, that was five years ago now, and I've never been back and have no desire to.

I'll admit The Joe isn't much to look at on the outside, isn't in the best part of town, and the shared concorse level is brutal, but once you get to your seat, it's a great amtoshpere. You can feel the history with all the banners in the rafters, and with the corporate suites above the upper level, there isn't a bad seat in the place (well except the last few rows).

I'm not a big fan of the ACC, it's to corporate. The Joe has a less corporate feel to it and overall is more fan friendly from my experiences being at both building. The ushers at The Joe allow you to go to ice level during warm ups, and sometimes they tell you the fastest way to get down there. :thumbup:

However I understand that fans like their home building the best and look beyond their faults.

I've never personally been to the Joe, but from what people have been saying, the impression that I'm getting is that it's very outdated and some of the sightlines are less than optimal.

The one thing that comes to mind for me is, how would they go about financing a new stadium? Who fits the bill? What are the proposals? Is the city going to pay for some? Added taxes?

How is attendance doing now? It's no secret that the economy isn't all that hot right now, and there has been a lot of focus on the auto industry being hard hit. The need for a new stadium is there, but maybe this isn't the time?

I agree, I have never been to the Joe but I have a buddy who has been to many games there and he told me he doesn't even go early anymore. He used to go there early and watch warmup and stuff but he said that now that he's seen 234 pregame warmups they are all the same and their is nothing that draws him to going early to a game. Ive seen the Wing's play at GM place in Vancouver 10-12 times and I always go early, lots of room to walk around and look at stuff, lots of bathrooms, lots of beer huts. I know what people are saying about the tradition and stuff but just because you move to another arena doesn't mean the franchise loses all its tradition. No one can take away 11 cups from us. New energy and tradition will start in a new building and with it will carry tradition from the old barn.

My only complaint of the Joe is the shared concorse. It's a pain, in the you know where, getting out to the street after a game. The concession and washroom lines during the game are brutal too, to the point where I don't, unless there's an emergency, leave my seat during the game.

Yep, this is my biggest complaint with the Joe... I had one soda during the entire game to avoid a trip to the restroom.

That's why I feel so fortunate to have the pepsi center, I don't think I've ever waited more than a couple minutes to use the restroom even on a sellout night. We do have 3 levels so, so we're lucky :) And the pepsi center is a beautiful building. As is coors field and inveso field @ mile high.

We will definitely make another trip to Detroit though, the Joe has some history so it makes it memorable.

Edited by tiff_luvs_homer

You've never been to the old Chicago Stadium ;)

No, but I was at a game at the old Boston Garden. Great old barn. Sat in the first row of the upper bowl and it felt like I was hovering over the ice.

It was falling apart at the time (second-last season there, I think) but had a feel and atmosphere to it that was fantastic. I didn't get that feel at JLA. The only feel I got was that I was in a crappy old arena that needs to have a wrecking ball taken to it.

Maple Leaf Gardens was perhaps one of the worst places to watch a hockey game, between the tiny seats and the poor sightlines in the Greys and Greens. But, there was a feel to it. This was a place where a lot of hockey history took place, good and bad. There was always quirks to it that took you back to the old days and it felt like a museum in ways.

Joe Louis Arena is what, 30 years old and doesn't even come close to have a historical feel to it like those old Original Six buildings did. Most of the history of the Detroit Red Wings is attached to the team itself, not the building.

Because even though the fans perceive some kind of "Importance" of these players, that still doesn't outweigh the $50 million naming rights most new arenas receive.

You have a better chance of seeing Pavel Datsyuk Place before you see Steve Yzerman Arena, it WONT happen. Hell, Illitch is more than likely to name it after Little Ceasars before any player, its just not financially respondsible.

Bingo. Which is my point more or less. Naming rights, $$$$$'s more often than not will dictate and arena name before any favorite player of a fan.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I know some people have problems with the location of the arena, but I come from Windsor for games, so I love the location. :lol:

I don’t think the location is that bad. You can either take West Jefferson, Civic center drive (I think its been renamed for Steve Yzerman) or the lodge to park at the Joe garage. If you choose not to park at the Joe garage; then you can take the people mover or walk on Fort Street go through the Wayne county community college property or cut across the lodge on the foot bridge off of 3rd street/congress which both will lead you past the Joe parking garage right across the street from the arena. You can also walk the river walk to get too the Joe.

You should have throw in a, "No, but the Joe should be renovated" response.

Replace the seats with ones that have cup holders, update all the digital display boards, redo the bathrooms and call it a day. There is no good reason to abandon the Joe and all the tradition wrapped up in it just so we can have something shiny.

This pretty much sums it up. We do not need a new arena, however the Joe does need to be renovated.

And right now we have a REAL name, rather than one of those stupid corporate names which we would most likely be stuck with if we happened to re-build.

One thing I would add to Dyags post would be actual condiment stands. I hate having to use those ketchup packages for my hot dog. They need dispensers.

You should have throw in a, "No, but the Joe should be renovated" response.

Replace the seats with ones that have cup holders, update all the digital display boards, redo the bathrooms and call it a day. There is no good reason to abandon the Joe and all the tradition wrapped up in it just so we can have something shiny.

Well said. Plus Illitch has an unbelieveable contract with the City of Detroit as long as the Wings stay at the Joe. It makes no sense business-wise to build a new arena.

I do have to admit that even though we were in the upper level in the center, we had a great view of the game... I wasn't disappointed at all with those seats that were only like $45 each. Plus, the ushers at our section was a very nice guy and told us to feel free to walk down to the ice and take pictures during warm-ups.

Edited by tiff_luvs_homer

I would expect the Wings to get a new arena in the next 5-10 years. The Joe is a dump, its lacking the luxury boxes that make money, and Cobo needs more space. It has all the charm of a warehouse. If Olympia and Tiger Stadium can come down, there's nothing stopping anyone from getting rid of the Joe and building a new arena.

And it will have a corporate name. Get used to the idea.

I would expect the Wings to get a new arena in the next 5-10 years. The Joe is a dump, its lacking the luxury boxes that make money, and Cobo needs more space. It has all the charm of a warehouse. If Olympia and Tiger Stadium can come down, there's nothing stopping anyone from getting rid of the Joe and building a new arena.

Cobo needs to be rebuilt completely. You want to talk about a dump. The loading docks for trucks are too small, the cement in the parking structures are crumbling and falling off, lots of doors are broken, the heating/cooling units are pretty much as old as the building which means they are big energy hogs and the list goes on and on.

Cobo needs to be rebuilt completely. You want to talk about a dump. The loading docks for trucks are too small, the cement in the parking structures are crumbling and falling off, lots of doors are broken, the heating/cooling units are pretty much as old as the building which means they are big energy hogs and the list goes on and on.

What I don't get is why the only suggestion that ever comes up is "knock down the Joe and expand Cobo into that space" when you could seriously renovate Cobo or replace it without having to really touch the Joe.

Have you ever even been to the Joe? I would not call it a "dump". Yeah, it may not be as nice as the one in Dallas but still...

It seems to be people's answer to everything in this country, knock it down!!!!! and build a new one!!!!!

It pisses me off to no end and almost makes me wish I were Canadian where they seem to have more respect for their old arenas (i.e. Mapleleaf Gardens and Montreal Forum). Here, they just call them obsolete dumps that are not luxurious enough for the little ferries who only want to be entertained by everything but the game. So they rip them to shreds without and could not give a damn!!!

Yep, this is my biggest complaint with the Joe... I had one soda during the entire game to avoid a trip to the restroom.

That's why I feel so fortunate to have the pepsi center, I don't think I've ever waited more than a couple minutes to use the restroom even on a sellout night. We do have 3 levels so, so we're lucky :) And the pepsi center is a beautiful building. As is coors field and inveso field @ mile high.

We will definitely make another trip to Detroit though, the Joe has some history so it makes it memorable.

Maybe they should install catheters in every seat so people don't have to get up and wait in line to go to the bathroom.

Ideally I would love to see a new arena. I have a number of qualms with the Joe.

1) The bathrooms are just horrible, with too few to accommodate the crowds that the Joe can hold (thus massive intermission lines), and unconventional pig-trough urinals.

2) The seats are too cramped together, so us 6 ft+ folks are consistently kneeing the person in front of us, and have to sit 2.5 hours uncomfortably. This is a big negative for me, and its one of the reasons many folks in my family have only been to one game, if that.

3) Its inconvenient to eat at your seat, as there are no cup holders and everyone is squished together, so there's also little room to put things at your feet. I think a minitable behind each chair would be cool, but there would definitely have to be obstacles to overcome with that, such as chair size issues, and where a person's coat will go if they don't want it hanging in food.

4) There's no conventional space to eat at the Joe ANYWHERE. No tables, nothing. I would like to see a new arena with locations designed for eating a meal (perhaps more extravagant than a Little Ceasar's pizza), with a tv right there for everyone to watch.

5) Although free shuttles make the location a nonissue for many folks, I think the value of an arena downtown by Comerica park and Hocketown Cafe and whatnot would be wonderful, although solutions for traffic problems would have to be thought up for when the Tigers and the Wings play at the same time.

6) The aesthetics of Joe Louis Arena are just horrible. I think of it as a giant concrete block with a couple statues in it. Make it more appealing to the eye. This is essentially a given if a new arena were to be built. Right now the Joe is just a place to go to watch hockey. Aesthetics play a large part in the quality of an experience; especially if its Junior's first game.

Unfortunately due to the deal the Illitches have with the city, the tendancy for the Illitches to penny-pinch, the fact that they're sinking "sentimental money" into memorable statues and naming exits and whatnot to increase the memorable value of the Joe, and the fact that no whispers of blueprints have been leaked about a new arena, there most likely won't be a new arena within the next five years.

It pisses me off to no end and almost makes me wish I were Canadian where they seem to have more respect for their old arenas (i.e. Mapleleaf Gardens and Montreal Forum). Here, they just call them obsolete dumps that are not luxurious enough for the little ferries who only want to be entertained by everything but the game. So they rip them to shreds without and could not give a damn!!!

I understand the fact that there are a lot of memories at the Joe, and thats one of the strong reasons to keep it up, but for me personally, its terribly uncomfortable to go to a game, and if I wasn't such a diehard fan, I would probably have passed up many of the opportunities that I have had to go. Memories can only do so much. The seats are too cramped for me to enjoy the game without trying to rearrange myself into some impossible manner,t, if I need to go to the bathroom, it involves inconveniencing everyone between me and the end of the isle as there is simply no room to squeeze by, followed by a 10-15 minute wait to use one of the pig-troughs, followed by resqueezing myself past everyone again back to my uncomfortable seat. The Joe was not designed well. There's no better way to put it, and no amount of memories will convince me to change my opinion that it needs to be replaced.

Edited by Echolalia