• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sjradio

Bettman: Oilers need a new arena

Rate this topic

New Red Wings Arena  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sit in section 204A Row 27. It's like sitting behind the old pillars at baseball games. You can't see anything in front of you. Though it looked like they cutout a chunk of the inside of the Joe and stuck some seats in it. In that row your deeper back then the press box.

This is what it looks like when sitting before people came into the building. I should of took one when the game was going on but you can get a broad idea of how bad it will be with bodies/heads in the way.

xbw9bl.jpg

Stand up, you are in the back row. Ive sat there... and many other places in the Joe... Never a bad seat and great wings fans yelling as loud as they can. I love going to the Joe!

I don't want the Joe to get knocked down. Renovated I can deal with, but I still like the Joe. I don't go to the Wings games to look at all the new things they have there, I go to watch the game. I've sat in a couple different places and never had a bad seat, although if I sat in one of those corners it would be since I'm short and wouldn't be able to see in front of me. Like someone else said, if I'm hungry I eat before I go to the game because there is no where to set anything down. The lines for the bathrooms are crazy to.. if you have to go and you wait until intermission for the girls your lucky if you get out before the next period starts it seems. So yah, I can deal with it getting renovated but getting a new arena itsn't something I feel is needed.

Here is Reunion Arena where the Dallas Stars as well as the Mavericks used to play. Much like JLA, just a simple bowl shape with two levels.

The one concourse in both instances is a bit of a pain when waiting for food/drinks and having to relieve yourself (especially if you are a woman, one of the very few things I like better about being a male over female :D:P), but like the very few times I've been to JLA, the few times I went to Reunion Arena before the Stars/Mavericks relocated I did not have one bad seat or experience when I was there.

I remember one Wings-Stars game I attended my seats were on the very top row of the 2nd level. Could see EVERYTHING and the players and game flow were still pretty close, and the arena got loud fast.

Where the Stars play now in the AA center is definitely nicer than Reunion Arena, and I can certainly appreciate things like this. But there is just something about old and simple barn looks to me where crowds are jammed close together (but still comfortable). I don't yell loud or cheer much or stuff like that during games, but things like this make for better fan experiences for me.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictu...as_reunion2.jpg

dallas_reunion2.jpg

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I love the Joe because there are no bad seats. You can see pretty well even if you are in the last row. The only thing they need to do is get seats with cup holders, and maybe put a rail down the middle of the stairs because they are way too steep and I have seen many drunk people trip and make me nervous. And maybe new paint would be nice. But I like the Joe.

I have mixed feelings of the Joe. The same concourse pretty much sucks for intermissions and after the game. Too many damn people using the same space. That, and I have never been fond of pissing in a troth! lol.

But the history of the good years and great games played there, along with the banners and retired numbers hanging from he rafters make it special. A lack of major corporate backing thrown in your face every opportunity is nice.

I really cant see a new arena or even a renovation of sorts to the Joe, until something gives in this economy, and things start to show stability and improvement.

But I have been to Rexall Place. And I would say if there was a list of teams that were in need of an arena, the Oilers are right up there.

If the Redwings must build a new arena, I say why not think outside the box and build an arena that seats 30 or even 40 thousand people? Given the economy and outrageous admission prices in general, they should provide incentives like they do for baseball/minor league baseball games such as cheap seats, "Thirsty Thursdays", etc. It would be a beautiful new facility where anyone can afford to attend and have a blast.

Maybe then, they could actually outsell that overrated, never gonna win anything, sorry sack of crap that is the Lions. Who knows, it may catch on, then we would really be "Hockeytown".

Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to my topic. I posted it, got 5 replies in 20 min, and then poof, it disappeared.

Guest Shoreline

I'm starting to think this money might be put to better use on actual infrastructure or necessary things for the city if taxpayers are going to foot any bill.

Let the owners "upgrade" the Joe. I mean we see houses and buildings well over 50 years old doing fine, this one isn't even open for 30 yet. This sort of architectural obsolescence is a bit ridiculous to me and a waste of money that could be put to use for more essential things than entertainment.

Edited by Shoreline

Have you ever even been to the Joe? I would not call it a "dump". Yeah, it may not be as nice as the one in Dallas but still...

It seems to be people's answer to everything in this country, knock it down!!!!! and build a new one!!!!!

It pisses me off to no end and almost makes me wish I were Canadian where they seem to have more respect for their old arenas (i.e. Mapleleaf Gardens and Montreal Forum). Here, they just call them obsolete dumps that are not luxurious enough for the little ferries who only want to be entertained by everything but the game. So they rip them to shreds without and could not give a damn!!!

Yes, I have been to the Joe, plenty of times. It's a dump. Mapleleaf Gardens and the Forum aren't on the same level as The Joe. To use a baseball analogy. MLG, The Forum, and Olympia = Tiger Stadium, Wrigley, and Fenway. The Joe is more along the lines of The Astrodome or any of the astroturf, bowl stadiums from the 70's. The location is bad too. Not really where it is, but what's around it. You're surrounded by The Lodge, parking lots, and fences.

If the Redwings must build a new arena, I say why not think outside the box and build an arena that seats 30 or even 40 thousand people? Given the economy and outrageous admission prices in general, they should provide incentives like they do for baseball/minor league baseball games such as cheap seats, "Thirsty Thursdays", etc. It would be a beautiful new facility where anyone can afford to attend and have a blast.

30,000 to 40,000? Are you kidding me? They're supposed to build a new arena 1.5 to 2 times the size of JLA, and on top of that provide cheap tickets and give stuff away? That sounds like a succesful business model...

I'm starting to think this money might be put to better use on actual infrastructure or necessary things for the city if taxpayers are going to foot any bill.

Let the owners "upgrade" the Joe. I mean we see houses and buildings well over 50 years old doing fine, this one isn't even open for 30 yet. This sort of architectural obsolescence is a bit ridiculous to me and a waste of money that could be put to use for more essential things than entertainment.

The city of Detroit owns The Joe. I think we'd want the leasees to upgrade it.

For the record, I think Echolalia is spot on with his post. Except for the cramped seats part. But I'm only 5'8". So its not as big a deal ;)

30,000 to 40,000? Are you kidding me? They're supposed to build a new arena 1.5 to 2 times the size of JLA, and on top of that provide cheap tickets and give stuff away? That sounds like a succesful business model...

.....And alienating the real fans by pricing them out of the market is real sound business plan!!! Do you not think that a family of 4 must drop $300+ to attend one game is just a little over the top?

Fans say they can't afford to attend(understandably so), so why not add more seats and lower the price? By doing this, they can also add more amenities and club seats as well. No one said anything about giving anything away, just applying some of what is used in other leagues to the NHL.

I agree doubling the size of arenas is a little much, but still believe that overall capacities should definitely increase to accommodate for more cheap seats and standing room.

I will end by saying this, with the way player salaries and ticket prices have gone through the roof coupled with the current state of the economy in this country, something has got to give. It's past time they stopped turning their backs on the fans.

.....And alienating the real fans by pricing them out of the market is real sound business plan!!! Do you not think that a family of 4 must drop $300+ to attend one game is just a little over the top?

To a certain extent, yes, it might be an ok idea. If you sell season tickets to a corporation or someone who wants the tickets because its cool, you get the money up front and you can probably charge a higher price. You don't have to worry when its a Tuesday night in January and you're playing the Bluejackets for the 4th time. Whether or not someone shows up, the seat has been paid for. I would have to imagine that someone in the Wings organization did some kind of cost/benefit analysis and came to the conclusion that they'd make more money with higher priced seats and 97.9% attendance (the Wings attendance so far this year) as opposed to lower priced seats and 100%. They must figure the real fans will still watch the game on TV, buy merchandise, and occasionally attend a game.

With the state of the US economy and Michigan's economy in paticular, I think some lower ticket prices or specials would be a good thing for the Wings to run. Maybe they have this season, I wouldn't be back in MI during the season so I haven't bothered to check the prices.

The problem is corporations are still lunging for the season tickets, so Illitch is still making a profit. Why should he change anything if he's still breaking bank every night. Its almost become something of a fad, even in this recession, because businesses can use good tickets as an incentive or a perk for their employers, that is relatively cheap for the business. My buddy's parent works for GM and gets awesome seats on a regular basis, and doesn't pay a cent for them. Guess how valuable thats become since their family wouldn't be able to afford that kind of entertainment in this economy.

Thats not to say that it would be bad business to increase fan capacity in a new arena, and I'm sure that's something that will be looked at, however, i don't see a substantial drop in tickets as a result. If anything, I assume Illitch will hike up the prices, because there will be an added incentive to go see the new arena, and to help deter the cost of putting a new arena up.

Edited by Echolalia

Call me crazy, but I have a soft spot for the Joe. Upgrade the bathrooms, but thats all.

As someone said, the Joe shouldn't have to cater to the people who go to be entertained by everything but the game.

And who gives a flip about what kind of food there is? You're there to watch a hockey game. If you go to enjoy a meal, then go to Olive Garden. Hot dogs, brats, pizza, nachos, popcorn, Cheli's chili, a few places that have turkey sandwiches and whatnot, and ice cream - Wow, what a s***ty selection.

There isn't a single obstructed view seat in the arena. Not too many other places can say that.

When you sit there, you get to think that this is where Steve Yzerman, Brendan Shanahan, Bob Probert, Brett Hull, Dominik Hasek, Vladdy Konstantinov, Sergei Fedorov, Luc Robitaille, Nick Lidstrom and several other hockey legends played. Also where the Cup was skated twice. Look at all the banners, and "Hockeytown" etched at center ice. What a horrible place to be.

And the name? Joe Louis Arena. Saying "Let's go down to the Joe" sounds a helluva lot better then "Let's go down to Jobing.com Arena" or "Pepsi Center". One of the only remaning NHL arenas that doesn't have a corperate name on it.

Keep the Joe.

Edited by Hockeytown0001

I like my arenas and stadiums just one notch away from being condemned. There's just something better about it. I already have live in a society of smoking bans, safety signs, and puritanical soccer moms.

I want a hockey rink where you're not quite sure what was spilled on the floor. I like bathrooms that never flush, get cleaned, etc. If only we were allowed smoking and chucking trash all over the place it would be heaven. I like the humbled abode. It makes people under-estimate the team and fans at every turn.

Simply put, the Joe is good for another 75 years.