• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yzerfan1999

Any News on Zetterberg?

Rate this topic

Just wondering if anyone has heard or read anything on the Zetterberg contract extension talks recently. I think we would all like to see Holland sign him sooner rather then later.

I think Zetterberg should be the #1 priority over Franzen and Hossa, but I just haven't heard anything in a while.

Extensions can't be signed until January 1st. So, sooner rather than later is still a bit of a relative term.

The 2 sides have been talking, but I doubt we're gonna see anything right away. Before the playoffs, most likely, but I'd be surprised to see anything happen for a few weeks/months. My guess, is that Holland won't get much done on the extension front until we know exactly what the cap is going to be next year...

Extensions can't be signed until January 1st. So, sooner rather than later is still a bit of a relative term.

The 2 sides have been talking, but I doubt we're gonna see anything right away. Before the playoffs, most likely, but I'd be surprised to see anything happen for a few weeks/months. My guess, is that Holland won't get much done on the extension front until we know exactly what the cap is going to be next year...

How'd Talbot just sign one with the Penguins, then? Isn't that rule only for one-year contracts, like Hossa?

The Hockey News

Wings GM has seven-hour meeting with potential UFA Zetterberg's agent to discuss extension

Ken Campbell

2008-12-17 23:18:00

Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland made a huge step toward re-signing potential unrestricted free agent Henrik Zetterberg when he met for seven hours with the Conn Smythe Trophy winner’s agent Wednesday, a source tells TheHockeyNews.com.

Holland traveled to Providence to meet face-to-face with Marc Levine and while its believed the two sides made significant progress toward a long-term deal that will keep Zetterberg with the Red Wings for the rest of his career, there are still some obstacles to overcome.

That being said, there is every reason to expect Zetterberg will be signed to a contract extension within the next month. It’s believed Zetterberg is seeking a deal somewhere in the $66 million range for eight years, which would average about $8.25 million per season. It’s thought Holland would also like to sign Zetterberg to a deal in the seven- to 10-year range and doesn’t mind paying a salary in the $8 million range for the first half of the deal, but would like to see the salary reduced in the final years of the deal when Zetterberg will be in his late 30s.

Zetterberg, 28, is averaging more than 20 minutes per game, which is tops among all Red Wing forwards and has 14 goals and 29 points in 28 games, second on the team to Marian Hossa. Zetterberg would be one of the most sought-after free agents in the NHL if his contract were to run out, but there is little reason to believe that will happen.

Everyone on here has been so cought up in the whole omg we can keep them all everybody in the leagues willing to take a "home team discount" to be on the wings. Looks like reality is coming to you all and thats higher then i even expected. I figured he would sign for just under 8.

Everyone on here has been so cought up in the whole omg we can keep them all everybody in the leagues willing to take a "home team discount" to be on the wings. Looks like reality is coming to you all and thats higher then i even expected. I figured he would sign for just under 8.

Ahhh yes, but if you read the fine print above you'll see that Holland hopes to sign him to a 7-10 year deal that would see his salary decrease near the end of the deal. Which probably means his cap hit could be less than 8M/year.

Edited by rick zombo

I honestly expected it to be between 8 and 8.5. Because Hossa signed for 8.5, and Zetterberg's numbers are essentially the same as Hossa's (give or take a a goal here, an assisnt there), Zetterberg's rightful salary on this team would be unjustified if it were above 8.5, or below 8.0. A discount in my book would be below 8M a season.

Forgive me if I'm way out there on this since I really haven't paid a whole lot of attn. to salaries until the last year or so... but I believe I heard it said while they were signing Hossa that no one makes more than the captain, Nick Lidstrom. Nick is at 7.45.

LGW Salary Chart

I believe Hossa actually signed for just under 7.5 mil this season due to the unwritten, Kenny Holland enforced "Lidstrom rule".

This is true, but you can still use Hossa as a means of comparison. It further illustrates the pressure a GM would want to apply to make Zetterberg take a discount, because in all actuality, Hossa did. Who knows, maybe 8-8.5M would be a discount, or at least thats what Holland may be trying to sell.

Whoops, sorry: I mistook my 7's for 8's.

In this case: lets try to keep Hossa and let Z walk :)

Edited by Echolalia

Does anyone actually see Hossa or Zetterberg not signing for a long term 7.45 deal if offered? It's not like thats a huge discount for either of them. The year after next year Lidstrom's contract expires, so it'll be interesting to see if he retires, signs for less, or keeps getting 7.45.

Edited by TheOwl

Not quite, that's the rule for RFA's who signed their offer sheet.

I've never heard of anything like that. Are you 100% on that Mack?

I was under the belief that you can sign an extension in the last year of your contract for a multi-year deal and in the case of a 1-year contract, after Jan 1. I didn't think RFA status had anything to do with it.

If you're saying that Hossa, for example, can sign an extension now, because he is a UFA... I'm 99% sure that's incorrect.

Edited by Doggy

Kenny likes to slot his players. As much as I love Z... he has never outscored Pavel in a regular season, nor has he brought home regular season awards. Hopefully he'll take a contract similar to Datsyuk, with perhaps an extra year as incentive.

Regardless of how you feel about Zetterberg vs Hossa. The fact is, Datsyuk, who has led the team in scoring for three years(Would have been four without the lockout), has two Stanley Cups and an equally nice trophy case, makes $6.7 million per season.

NOTHING, either Zetterberg or Hossa has done justifies making anything more than Datsyuk and its that simple. The cap is going down next season and we have an allstar team of players taking less than market value to play in Detroit.

Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin all make over $8.5 mill and quite frankly Zetterberg isn't that kind of player, never has been and never will be.

And yes, he won the Conn Smyth but it could have easily went to Crosby, Hossa or Datsyuk and no one would have questioned it, so he wasn't head and shoulders above the competition.

Everything ive read about Hossa gives me the impression that he'll play for less, less than $8.5

And yes, he won the Conn Smyth but it could have easily went to Crosby, Hossa or Datsyuk and no one would have questioned it, so he wasn't head and shoulders above the competition.

I certainly would have questioned Datsyuk getting the Smythe. Hank and Osgood were miles ahead of any other Red Wing, Datsyuk included.

Regardless of how you feel about Zetterberg vs Hossa. The fact is, Datsyuk, who has led the team in scoring for three years(Would have been four without the lockout), has two Stanley Cups and an equally nice trophy case, makes $6.7 million per season.

NOTHING, either Zetterberg or Hossa has done justifies making anything more than Datsyuk and its that simple. The cap is going down next season and we have an allstar team of players taking less than market value to play in Detroit.

Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin all make over $8.5 mill and quite frankly Zetterberg isn't that kind of player, never has been and never will be.

Everything ive read about Hossa gives me the impression that he'll play for less, less than $8.5

Uh, yeah, a lot of people would have questioned it. The Conn Smythe should almost always go to a player on the Stanley Cup-winning team unless a player on the losing team just had an unreal postseason, a la Giguere in '02. Hossa and Crosby were both good, but neither were as good as Zetterberg. Same with Datsyuk.

You actually left out the one guy who actually had a legitimate argument, IMO, and that's Chris Osgood. I'm not saying that Zetterberg is as good as Crosby, Ovechkin, or Malkin, but let's not understate what he's done.