• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

Should skilled players be fighting?

Rate this topic

Brassard has had quite a few fights this season, so it's not like he's some europuss who finally decided to drop the gloves. He's basically a more skilled version of Jared Boll.

Chara is a ***** when he fights top enforcers.

As soon as the fight goes against him, he wrestles his opponent down to avoid being embarassed. He'd get his ass kicked if he traded punches with a Boogaard or a Brashear.

I really only think Boogaard or Fritz would be able to compete with Chara's reach

Brassard has had quite a few fights this season, so it's not like he's some europuss who finally decided to drop the gloves. He's basically a more skilled version of Jared Boll.

That was his first fight this season, I think you have him mixed up with someone else. It was very clear that Brassard has no business fighting, he really looked out of place, I really admire the attempt though.

Maybe you are thinking of Chicago's high scoring rookie, Kris Versteeg? He's a bit more fiesty

Fighting is part of the game. The consensus has traditionally been that the skilled fighters let their sticks to the talking and the fighters let their fists do the talking, and in most cases, that is true, though there are exceptions. Ideally, you want someone who is both a skilled player and fighter. That is part of what made Shanny and Howe such great players.

That was his first fight this season, I think you have him mixed up with someone else. It was very clear that Brassard has no business fighting, he really looked out of place, I really admire the attempt though.

Maybe you are thinking of Chicago's high scoring rookie, Kris Versteeg? He's a bit more fiesty

You're right. I was thinking of Derek Dorsett, who also plays for them.

Worrying about a star player getting hurt in a fight and missing any games seems to me a bit of an overreaction.

How often do you hear about anyone being seriously injured during a fight? I never have.

So the man twisted his arm? If so, then is a weak case to keep big name players, or any for that matter, from dropping the gloves as it was, as someone stated earlier, a freak occurrence. Using this logic, the league might as well not even let them on the ice for they could twist their ankle while coming off the bench.

How often do you hear about anyone being seriously injured during a fight? I never have.

Really, really not a good time to ask a question like that...

1. Brassard's injury is pretty serious, I'd say. He'll be missing the rest of the season...

2. Don Sanderson, as far as I know, is still in critical condition and in a coma from his fight

1. Brassard's injury is pretty serious, I'd say. He'll be missing the rest of the season...

2. Don Sanderson, as far as I know, is still in critical condition and in a coma from his fight

s***, you beat me to it!

Injuries happen in every facet of the game. Goalies suffer groin injuries and sometimes even broken bones in their hands while stopping blistering slapshots from the likes of Al McCinnnis. Players like Shayne Corson and Eric Lindros suffer career ending injuries in the form of numerous concussions much much more often. The list goes on. Until tonight, I have never in my entire life heard of anyone in the NHL suffering a serious injury in a fight.

Brassard dislocating his shoulder in a fight seems like a very rare and freakish occurrence to get all riled up about.

Don Sanderson, I know nothing about. How and when did that happen?

I disagree, enforcers should take on ANYONE who is cheapshotting there teamates, whether they are 5'6 150 or 6'5 250. The enforcer should send the message we aren't going to let the stars get run at regardless as to your size. But don't get me wrong the Cleary Pronger fight was different because Cleary was defending himself from cheapshotting.

Agree 100%. I'm too drunk to explain why.... :thumbup:

esteef

okay i keep seeing and hearing this exact thought and i just cannot understand it. how can fighting be someone's favourite part of hockey??

well i don't know how it would be someone's favorite part... but there's no other professional sport i can think of where you can see people fighting on ice... oh hey that's a good idea for a new extreme sport...

Generally speaking, no, that are what bruisers and enforcers are for. Very rarely your top-paid players will probably be asked to drop the gloves on even an inconsistent basis in my opinion.

That being said though, not everything is predictable, see Pronger vs. Cleary fight a season or two ago when Cleary, who definitely plays a gritty game, doesn't fight. Even if a "non-fighter" or "non-enforcer" might rough somebody else up on a play or injure them, I'd rather the tough guy go at it with the other team's tough guy to answer the call, because the non-enforcer dude probably won't even drop the gloves even after he might've caused the hit or injury.

All players need to be prepared to defend themselves. That being said, they shouldn't give in to a useless challenge from a 4th line replacement enforcer. But skill vs. skill? I could see that and appreciate that, even if it might mean an injury. I don't like having a player on a team who can't even play hockey, and who everyone admits is just there to fight. Everyone should be prepared to defend teammates, but obviously skilled players shouldn't jump right in.