• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Never_Retire_Steve

World Junior Championship

Rate this topic

Tavares had a sick goal in the last game, and if I'm not mistaken, the Wings 1st round pick is minding the net for the US (but don't quote me on that)

Yes, McCollum is the US team's #1 netminder.

As for how the Canadians do in 2010, I suspect it will be better than the Americans. :thumbup:

The World Juniors are lame its just a canadian pride-fest, lets see how they do in Vancouver

How? Its young prospects that are future NHL'ers for the most part playing for their country.

Just because it is in Canada this year doesn't change that it's a legit tournament.

My favourite tournament.

I wouldn't say Canada is the clear favourite just yet. They looked great tonight but the Czechs are apparently pretty weak this year. Sweden, USA and Russia all look good. The semifinals are going to be sick. Pretty much a guarantee that those four teams will play each other in some combination.

It's really unbelievable how good Canada would be if they had some of the eligible NHL players playing. Schenn? Stamkos? Turris? Gagner? Doughty? Sutter?

Both teams that'll make it to the finals won today. USA and Canada.

Canada will win, and no the WJC are not lame, excuse Canada for loving the game, and always being there for the kids. Every WJC Canadian fans are there, whether it be in Leksands, Sweden or Ottawa. I love it, everyone i know loves it. Alot of people in the states love it too, it's a great tournament.

Canada wins the most because they have the best junior leagues, the olympics are for closer and far more entertaining

Many American and European players come to play in those leagues for just those reasons. As for the Olympics im obviously Canada but i think the Swede's will repeat.

Canada wins the most because they have the best junior leagues, the olympics are for closer and far more entertaining

Duh. Because it's the pros. But for now, watching a bunch of kids give 110% trying to win a championship for their country is pretty dame good. And you must not have been paying attention, alot of the Czechs, Swedes, Germans and even Russians play in the CHL, or US colleges. It isnt just North Americans or Canadians, besides the kids that do play for the European countries play in competitive mens leagues, and US Colleges are high level hockey. Everyone has a fair shot.

I agree the Olympics is a far better tournament but it is very exciting to see the talent that will some day be the cream of the crop in the NHL as well. As for the Olympics in 2010 I think that it will be between the Russians and the Canadians. Obviously the Canadians will have a huge advantage with it being in Vancouver but the Russians have some very sick talent up front with Malkin, Ovechkin, and Semin being lights out this year (not to mention our boy Datsyuk). I think that Sweden will have a very hard time repeating with a lot of their core team aging by that time (think Sundin, Naslund, Lidstrom).

Guest Shoreline

Since this discussion took a weird turn, I'd just say being a hockey fan (not just an NHL fan), I love seeing the WC's / WJC's amongst other things.

Well that's a rather simplified uneducated statement.

We've won The Last 4, which is remarkable. We had won 5 straight between 93-97, but from the 7 years from 98-04 we didn't win once. Even when Canada was in a 7 year slump, the tournament was just as hot up here, and the interest never died down.

To just brush off the tournament because

Doesn't Make a Whole Lot of Sense, if you've actually Followed the Tournament. This Tournament is To hockey What The NCAA Tournament is to Basketball, or what the NCAA Playoffs would be to Football, only possibly Bigger.

It's unique in the sense that The talent from the rest of the world is pretty much on par With that of north America, So we would have never been able to see the Ovechkin/Malkin vs Crosby, Kovalchuck vs. Spezza, Hedman vs. Tavares vs. Filatov Match ups that we've been able to see. Unlike College Basketball or football, There are world class top 5 draft pick talkents out there that we would other wise not get to see, let alone get to see against the best in the world.

The Tournament has been dominated by canada, but jsut in the last 4 years. You don't even have to have a rooting interest to enjoy the other games...it's just an opportunity to Showcase the future NHL stars before they get there.

American fans around here should be pretty pumped about the tournament, With Mccollum In goal for the Americans. And it's not like the US have been slouches lately either. the last time canada Lost, is was to the US in 04.

the Past few years we've seen Americans like Parise, O'Sullivan, Kessel, Mueller, Jack Johnson, Eric Johnson, Patrick Kane and TJ Oshie jsut to name a few.

I'm not just Picking on Crossover Thrash here, but anybody else that just dismisses this tournament as nothing special. If that' your view, Then I say you may be a red wings fan, but you are not a hockey fan.

Edited by Tane

We've won The Last 4, which is remarkable. We had won 5 straight between 93-97, but from the 7 years from 98-04 we didn't win once. Even when Canada was in a 7 year slump, the tournament was just as hot up here, and the interest never died down.

Doesn't Make a Whole Lot of Sense, if you've actually Followed the Tournament. This Tournament is To hockey What The NCAA Tournament is to Basketball, or what the NCAA Playoffs would be to Football, only possibly Bigger.

It's unique in the sense that The talent from the rest of the world is pretty much on par With that of north America, So we would have never been able to see the Ovechkin/Malkin vs Crosby, Kovalchuck vs. Spezza, Hedman vs. Tavares vs. Filatov Match ups that we've been able to see. Unlike College Basketball or football, There are world class top 5 draft pick talkents out there that we would other wise not get to see, let alone get to see against the best in the world.

The Tournament has been dominated by canada, but jsut in the last 4 years. You don't even have to have a rooting interest to enjoy the other games...it's just an opportunity to Showcase the future NHL stars before they get there.

American fans around here should be pretty pumped about the tournament, With Mccollum In goal for the Americans. And it's not like the US have been slouches lately either. the last time canada Lost, is was to the US in 04.

the Past few years we've seen Americans like Parise, O'Sullivan, Kessel, Mueller, Jack Johnson, Eric Johnson, Patrick Kane and TJ Oshie jsut to name a few.

I'm not just Picking on Crossover Thrash here, but anybody else that just dismisses this tournament as nothing special. If that' your view, Then I say you may be a red wings fan, but you are not a hockey fan.

I'm not cheering for the US, i usually cheer for Germany, regardless, Every player on the Canadian team is a Top player in the CHL the same cannot be said for other programs.

Edited by CrossoverThrash

:thumbup: QFT

Anyone who says my dislike for the WJC turns into a dislike for hockey, theres no way. I'm probably one of the most ravenous hockey fans here, its the only sport i follow and I follow all leagues, but mainly the NHL because ITS THE BEST. i sit on the comp basically all day watching hockey vids and watch at least 4 NHL games a night. The WJC's teams are too spread out talent wise and the players too undeveloped playing on merely individual skills and a few scares pre tourney practices to make for an exciting tourney. Ill just stick to watching NHL games every night the WJC is on. NHL>WJC.

No youre wrong, and the Memorial cup is far more entertaining.

Anyone who says my dislike for the WJC turns into a dislike for hockey, theres no way. I'm probably one of the most ravenous hockey fans here, its the only sport i follow and I follow all leagues, but mainly the NHL because ITS THE BEST. i sit on the comp basically all day watching hockey vids and watch at least 4 NHL games a night. The WJC's teams are too spread out talent wise and the players too undeveloped playing on merely individual skills and a few scares pre tourney practices to make for an exciting tourney. Ill just stick to watching NHL games every night the WJC is on. NHL>WJC.

This tells me you dont even watch the games. It's not all skill, it's all heart. Any WJC game is more physical then a regular season NHL game. Big hits, high intensity, from the skill guys and the grinders. I know your a guy that loves big hits, tune in to a Germany or a Canada/USA game, tons of hits the whole game long :thumbup:

Yeah, canada's Players are the Best in the CHL, But the European Players are generally in leagues with professionals. So as tavares is sometimes playing against 3rd and 4th line 17 year old OHL players, who'll never play hockey again, The Euro's are playing against Men in Professional leagues in europe. I'll take a Pro Swedish or Russian league over the Brampton Batallion 10 times out of 10.

The Memorial Cup, would be like the NCAA Tournament, if only the western most teams Were Included. Or an NCAA Football PLayoff, if only the 25 eastern most confrences play.

As far as Canada having The Best Players in the CHL, The US has a Combination of the Best players in the CHL as well as the Best Players in College Hockey, Which in the Past 5 years have produced Some Top Notch talent, and Is jut now starting to get some o the coverage that it deserves. Ask Brian Burke and the 07 Ducks What you can build with a bunch of College Kids.

Goalies.

Thomas McCollum 6'2 206 12/7/89 Guelph (OHL) DET

Josh Unice 6'0 175 6/24/89 Kitchener (OHL) CHI

Defence

Jonathon Blum * 6'1 185 1/30/89 Vancouver (WHL) NAS

Ian Cole * 6'1 218 2/21/89 Univ. of Notre Dame (CCHA) STL

Cade Fairchild * 5'10 186 1/15/89 Univ. of Minnesota (WCHA) STL

Blake Kessel 6'2 204 4/13/89 Univ. of New Hampshire (HEA) NYI

Ryan McDonagh 6'1 208 6/13/89 Univ. of Wisconsin (WCHA) MTL

Teddy Ruth 6'0 205 2/14/89 Univ. of Notre Dame (CCHA) CBJ

Kevin Shattenkirk 5'11 193 1/29/89 Boston University (HEA) COL

Forwards

Drayson Bowman 6'1 195 3/8/89 Spokane (WHL) Free Agent

Danny Kristo 5'11 180 6/18/90 Omaha Lancers (USHL) MTL

Jim O'Brien 6'2 190 1/29/89 Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) OTT

Aaron Palushaj 6'0 185 9/7/89 Univ. of Michigan (CCHA) STL

Matt Rust * 5'10 195 3/23/89 Univ. of Michigan (CCHA) FLA

Jordan Schroeder * 5'9 183 9/29/90 Univ. of Minnesota (WCHA) 2009

Eric Tangradi 6'3 214 2/10/89 Belleville (OHL) ANA

James van Riemsdyk *+ 6'3 211 5/4/89 Univ. of New Hampshire (HEA) PHI

Mitch Wahl 6'0 190 1/22/90 Spokane (WHL) CGY

Colin Wilson * 6'1 213 10/20/89 Boston University (HEA) NSH

All Of the POlayers except for Drayson bowman have already Been Drafted By NHL teams. And a Thrid of the Team is made up of some of the "Best Players in the CHL"

also, Any Major Advantage Canada might have had this year has been taken away by the likes Of Drew Doughty, Luke Schenn, Sam Gagner, Brandon Sutter, Kyle Turris, Steve Stamkos, Colton Gillies And Josh Bailey.

Even If you are a CHL fan, why wouldn't you want t see the "CHL All Stars take on all star teams from around the world? It's Like the Memorial Cup, only with Better Players, and Better teams.

I'm not saying you HAVE to Like the WJC, I'm just saying, Any real Fan Of the Sport, as opposed to fans of the NHL would be watching. Hey, I don't like Soccer, But i'll watch the World Cup and Like it...But If Manchester United vs Chelsea is on TV, I'm More inclined to throw on Germany vs. Slovakia in WJC Prelim.

The world juniors is one of the most entertaining sports you can see on tv. Lots of intensity and less tactics. Its especially fun when its held in north america where the interest is so high. I wouldnt mind if it was held in canada every year...