Kindl Outperforming Ericsson?

Rate this topic

Kindl's stats

GP G A P +/-

32 5 16 21 -6

Ericsson's stats

GP G A +/-

24 0 8 5

Ericsson is plus five while Kindl is -6. But +/- is more of a team stat than anything. With the way Kindl's playing should he be called up next year along with Ericsson?

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Kindl

Or any other combination. Thoughts??

Kindl has more potential, but i think Ericsson will be more of a physical/defensive defenseman where as Kindl will be more of a scorer/passer but hopefully a good hitter too

Just because Jonathan is huge doesn't mean he's a defensive defenseman. Kindl has higher offensive skills, but Ericsson also is more of a Kronwall than Lilja. Kindl and Ericsson both have great size but neither one are typically very physical or defensively oriented. They could be, and if they figure it out they'll be awesome, but they are works in progress.

Neither one plays like Fischer did.

Ericsson is more of an offensive threat. He is a converted forward with a 100+ MPH shot and is very very fast. I'm am very glad Kindl is finally coming into his own, but he still needs to work a lot harder on being defensively responsible, we can say +/- is a team stat but when ytour defensive partner(s) have higher +/-s it stills shows you are the Defender being beaten more often than not.

Kindl stills needs probably one more season after this one in the minors and he should be the top 4 D-Man we all envisioned while maybe sometime down the road this year if someone off the 23 man roster gets dealt or waived near the trade deadline we could see the Big Rig up being a bottom pair D-Man.

If you count points as the only thing to "out performing" someone then yes I guess you can say he is. I look at those stats and think to myself that in a pinch Id take Ericsson over Kindl any day of the week. Just going by the goals they figured into ( by point total ) Kindl has been on the ice for alot more goals for than has Ericcson yet still has been on the ice for 11 more goals against. The 3rd line Dmen in the NHL are not there to be point producers. They are there to shut the other team down and not lose the game for a team. Give me the guy thats keeping the puck outta the net more than the one who may score but is a defensive liability on the back line.

The reports I've read state that Ericsson's looked uninterested out there and cruises for the first 50 mins each night. Apparently knowing he can't come play in Detroit this season because of cap issues has made him decidedly unenthusiastic about grinding it down in the AHL. Not the best attitude to have, but it certainly isn't typical of Ericsson and no one can blame him. He's done everything he can to make it to the big leagues and has received the equivalent of a rain cheque. He knows he'll be here next year (no more minor options left and he's the team's #1 blue chip prospect) and he knows he can't come up to play due to the cap, so where's the carrot?

Kindl on the other hand had a trainwreck of a season last year and most definitely has motivation to show his stuff. Good on him- he's been very good so far this season. :thumbup: Can't ask for much more of a rebound season than this.

If you count points as the only thing to "out performing" someone then yes I guess you can say he is. I look at those stats and think to myself that in a pinch Id take Ericsson over Kindl any day of the week. Just going by the goals they figured into ( by point total ) Kindl has been on the ice for alot more goals for than has Ericcson yet still has been on the ice for 11 more goals against. The 3rd line Dmen in the NHL are not there to be point producers. They are there to shut the other team down and not lose the game for a team. Give me the guy thats keeping the puck outta the net more than the one who may score but is a defensive liability on the back line.

I don't just use stats to determine if someone is outperforming someone else. That's why I used a question mark in the title. I haven't had the benefit of watching the Griffins. Good points though.

Despite the fact most prospect rankings have Ericsson as our #1 prospect IMO there is absolutely no doubt Jakub Kindl is our best prospect. Sure he had a nightmare rookie season in the AHL but he is responding in a great way this season. He’s already surpassed his point total from last season in half the amount of games and he is FOURTH in defenceman scoring. He’s only 21 and has the size, skating ability and ability to put the points on the board to be a very good NHL defenceman. However he won’t be in Detroit next season and neither should he be. He’ll get one last season in the AHL to be the main guy, the one who logs the most minutes in all situations. He’s done that lately with Ericsson and Stafford our injured but next season it’ll be like that every game. He’s a beauty of a prospect, time to get excited. :thumbup:

Does this mean that Jakub is finally showing his potential? In that case its the best news.

He certainly is. Has been a + rating over the past month and has 11 points from the past 11 games and is a huge weapon on the PP.

Good points. The Wings maturation process is a little much these days and I would not blame him for being frustrated, especially when we are hanging on to some old and dead weight like Chelios and a low performer like Lebda (and forwards like Maltby, Draper and don't even get me started on McCarty). Back to D though. Losing Quincy was terrible, terrible. Perhaps Eric is waiting for the same kind of deal to play in the NHL? Wings need to losen up a little and let the young guys play. This is isn't 2002 with the hall of fame roster.

I wouldn't worry about that- the Wings management is very high on Ericsson and he's yet to disappoint them. Quincey had to disappoint them for an entire 18 month span before they dumped him.