• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

paulie

Famous Red Wing Games?

Rate this topic

hey guys...

i'm looking for some historic Red Wing performances...whether it be ridiculous come backs or big playoff matches.

what are some of your favourite games?

if you guys could list a few matches for me, it will definitely help me learn the game and the history of the team better.

thanks in advance...

Happy New Year...

March 26, 1997 -- The Brawl

December 2, 1995 -- Red Wings beat Patrick Roy and the Canadiens 11-1 (forever changing the face of the NHL)

December 26, 1996 -- Fedorov scores all 5 goals against Washington, including the OT winner

June 7, 1997 -- Wings win the Cup for the first time in 42 years after sweeping Lindros and the "Legion of Doom"

The 2002 series against Colorado was intense and full of great moments.

Edited by egroen

March 26, 1997 --Regular Season vs Colorado, The Brawl

June 8, 2002 -- Game Three vs Carolina, Triple OT, Igor gets the Winner

May 31, 2002 -- Game Seven vs Colorado, 7-0 Beatdown

May 16, 1997 -- Game Seven vs St. Louis Double OT, Stevie gets one from the Blueline

June 4, 2008 -- Game Six vs Pittsburgh, Cup Winning Game

June 2 2008 -- Game Five vs Pittsburgh, Triple OT Thriller

Here are mine. I'll stay away from Cup clinching games, because those are at the top of the list.

1997 Brawl game vs. Colorado.

-DMac gets revenge on Claude Lemieux and shows the world how big of a coward and piece of trash he is.

Game 3 1997, Stanley Cup Final.

-Complete domination over the Flyers, 6-1. The crowd was probably the loudest I've heard it outside of Cup clinching games.

Game 2, 1998 Stanley Cup Final.

-The comeback! We were down 3-1 going into the 3rd. Stevie got us going with a SH goal, and after 3 periods it was 4-4. Draper scored 15 minutes into OT.

Game 7, 2002 WCF.

-7-0 over the AVS to advance to the Cup Final. We won the rivarly against the AVS. Wings-AVS games haven't been the same since that night.

Game 2, 2004 Playoffs vs. Calgary.

-Despite losing the series in 6, Stevie scored 2 goals in a 5-2 win.

Game 5, 2007 Playoffs vs. Calgary.

-I think the score was 5-2. We got the advantage over the Flames in the series and eliminated them in Game 6. Cleary scored on a Penalty Shot, and Chelios got his first, and I think, only goal of the season.

Games 1 + 2, 2008 Stanley Cup Final.

-We totally dominated Crosby, Malkin, and the rest of the Pens. It set up a series victory in 6 games, and our 4th Stanley Cup in 11 Seasons.

:thumbup:

In no particular order...

2002 Playoffs WCF Game 7 - 7-0 win over the Avalanche

1998 Playoffs SCF Game 2 - 5-4 OT comeback win over the Capitals

1998 Playoffs SCF Game 4 - 4-1 win over the Capitals and seeing Konstantinov wheeled around with the Cup on his lap

2008 Playoffs SCF Game 5 - 4-3 3OT loss against the Penguins, even though we lost, it was still a helluva game to watch

1996 Playoffs WC Quarterfinals Game 7 - 1-0 2OT win over the Blues, Yzerman famous OT goal

2002 Playoffs SCF Game 3 - 3-2 3OT win over the Hurricanes

March 1997 brawl game against the Avalanche

Brawl Game II against the Avalanche in 1998

And for me selfishly, 2008 WC Quarterfinals Game 2 - 5-1 win over the Avalanche with a Johan Franzen hat trick and probably my only ever Stanley Cup playoff game live, and probably my last for a while :P

Dang, where to begin?

Many that I love have already been listed. Any that we won against the Avs... not even included the 2007-2008 regular season and post season. I can't quite recall but I think Shanny got some significant amount of goals on them (milestone I mean), I think Yzerman did too, Fedorov had a few memorable moments against them, and the McCarty hat trick. So any of the fight/brawls too.

The Yzerman overtime is great that was mentioned.

"Gretzky had it, lost it. Yzermen picks it up, Yzerman moving. Blue line, chance - SCORE!!!!"

Note: I heard, during the celebration, Yzerman hurt his foot/ankle during that jump. Haha, poor guy.

I have that on tape still.

But in the long run, I remember the games I went to that were good. Like just last season... second to last game were we were down by one with three minutes left, and Franzen tied it and Zetterberg scored the winner with seconds like 12 second I think remaining. It meant a lot not just because I was there but because we lost a few towards the end and we needed to go in to the postseason with confidence.

Hmmm.... I know I can think of more. I'll be back, I'm sure.

- Game 7, 1996 Conference Semi-Finals against the Blues aka Yzerman breaks scoreless tie in 2nd OT

- March 26th, 1997

- Game 3 2002 Stanley Cup against the Canes aka Larionov wins it in triple OT

- Game 4 1997 Stanley Cup

- Game 7 2002 Conference Finals against Avs

- Game 4 1998 Stanley Cup

- Game 5 2008 Stanley Cup (ugh.........only loss on this list, but great game)

- Game 6 2008 Stanley Cup

That's off the top of my head.

The 2002 series against Colorado was intense and full of great moments.

Seriously every game we won in that series was crazy.

The McCarty hat trick game. Olausson OT winner (that was this series right?).Statue of Liberty.7-0.

Plus Hasek's performance the last two games of that series was amazing.

Edited by Bluedevils_13

Seriously every game we won in that series was crazy.

The McCarty hat trick game. Olausson OT winner (that was this series right?).Statue of Liberty.7-0.

Plus Hasek's performance the last two games of that series was amazing.

Oh man, how could I forget that.

Statue of Liberty Goal... put that on my list.

"THE GOAL COUNTS! THE GOAL COUNTS!"

Awesome moment. And it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Haha, and the face plant into his glove --- priceless.

And the fact we won that game... and series.

By the way, I think it's three "THE GOAL COUNTS"s

not sure what year now as have been watching for awhile, think it is late 90's, and i believe it was against the canucks, we were down 5-1 or soemthing with about 8 minutes left in the 3rd and we came back and won the game.

Probably that 7-0 beating of Colorado in 2002.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but last year's triple-overtime disaster against the Pens comes to mind also. I guess that's one we'd like to forget, but it was still a memorable game, even if it was for the wrong reasons. :D

I'll never forget this one particular Avs game we won but I can't for the life of me remember the date of it. The Avs were up 4-0 I believe and we came back and won 5-4 in OT. I believe it was Fedorov with the game winner. Anyone else remember that game?

I'll never forget this one particular Avs game we won but I can't for the life of me remember the date of it. The Avs were up 4-0 I believe and we came back and won 5-4 in OT. I believe it was Fedorov with the game winner. Anyone else remember that game?

Hmm... I do. But at this age, and all the years I have watched, the games are starting to bend together. Sad.

I'll look into that thought.

December 26, 1996 -- Fedorov scores all 5 goals against Washington, including the OT winner

I was at that game. My first game I ever got to go to and it was awesome. At the time Fedorov was my favorite player. What a night it was for me.

Historic? That's easy; I'll give you two:

Tuesday, April 25, 1952: Detroit wins their 5th Stanley Cup, sweeping both of the series in total of 8 games, the 1st time it had been done in Cup history. This was the game that the 1st octupus was flung onto the ice, 1 tentacle for each win in the playoffs. By the way, an octopus only has 6 legs, plus 2 arms.

Thursday, April 14, 1955: Detroit wins their 7th Stanley Cup, consecutive Championships for the 2nd time & the 1st since 1936-37. The Game 7 win was in Detroit and after League President Clarence Campbell presents Captain Ted Lindsay the Cup, who sees all the fans standing down by the boards at ice level at The Olympia (there was not protection for fans then, only screening at either end). Lindsay does the next logical thing; he skates around the outside of the ice surface, so the fans could get a closer look. It was the 1st time the Cup had gone for a skate in NHL history.

How about good ol' Doug Brown tying two club marks at the time with a hat trick and assist all in one period (the third) of a 5-4 victory over New Jersey on 12/19/97?

Edited by dgodzina

1996 Western Conference Semis, Game 7 - Stevie with the goal from damn-near center ice in 2OT.

1997 Western Conference Finals, Game 6 - Revenge on Colorado in OT for the year before and D-Mac got the winning goal.

March 26th, 1997 - Lemieux gets his ***** handed back to him, as do the rest of his teammates.

1997 Stanley Cup Finals, Game 4 - Happy Birthday to me, and what a nice present it was. :)

2002 Western Conference Finals, Game 7 - What an ass-pounding that was. Couldn't have happened to a worse group of people. :)

2008 Stanley Cup Finals, Game 6 - Ozzie had my heart damn near leaping out of my throat at the end, but watching Nick skate around with the Cup was well worth it.