• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Drake_Marcus

No Red Wings on All Star starting line up

Rate this topic

Forget Sidney Crosby.

What the hell are Komisarek, Price, Giguere and others doing in the All-Star Game?

Fans should not be allowed to vote for anything sports related. Especially Montreal fans. :D

Komisarek and Price are both Habs, so it's a given; Giguere probably because he's French Canadian.

Montreal fans are all crazy, they think that the Habs should draft only French Canadian, that all French Canadians want to play for the Habs, and those who don't are booed (like Briere and Lecavelier).

The results of the voting shows which fan base has unlimited text messaging and/or no jobs or other life, IMO. :lol: Has nothing to do with which players "ought" to be there.

I didn't vote at all, and I still have no life. At least I have a job. :P

Re: Komisarek.

They ran a story about the "voting" this morning on TSN. Komisarek said he got an email from the League reminding everyone that there is no body checking in the ASG. I think he was kidding. And he's been out for a month with a shoulder injury. I guess it could have been worse: the MTL fans could have started a write-in campaign for Maurice Richard.

How come Montreal fans didn't vote Robert Lang into the ASG? That I would like to see.

:lol:

What I find more laughable is that Crosby broke the voting record. He's been playing like s*** lately.

Breaking the voting record probably has more to do with how internet savvy people are now compared to when Lemieux set the record.

But he still has 15 goals and 35 assists for 50 points in 39 games. That's third in the league behind Malkin and AO, and is all-star worthy.

Either way, the ASG is basically a popularity contest anyway. When I was younger I guess I used to get excited about it. It was fun watching Probert in the All-star game, and wanting Yzerman to score. But now it's basically meaningless to me.

Edit: typos.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Just for discussion's sake, do you think someone like Komisarek is pleased to be voted in? On the one hand, being voted a starting all-star is supposed to be an honor, and I'm sure it's exciting to be at the game, playing with many of the biggest stars, etc. But he also has to be aware that he didn't actually earn the honor, he's only there because fans rigged the vote. Do you think it would bother someone to look around the room at the Crosbys and Ovechkins, etc, and realize you don't belong here?

I'm sure he's honored to get to play, and I don't think he gives a s*** one way or the other about whether or not he actually earned it. Most professional athletes don't have consciences when it comes to that. Some teams have bonuses attached to contracts stating that if you make the starting lineup of the ASG you get X amount of dollars, if you make the team period you get Y amount of dollars or something like that, so why would they look a gift horse in the mouth? You see it in baseball, basketball, hockey and football. Money rules all. And so does ego. He'd look around and think "God damn, I'm that good. I'm sitting next to Ovechkin."

I think they should make you have to make a quick account to vote once and once only. It would certainly cut down on that mass voting crap.

While the all-star game is meaningless, it would be a shame not to see one Red Wing on the first line.

I mean, no members of the defending Cup champs in the ASG just looks poor from a marketing standpoint (I have a BBA in Marketing). You want to get people to watch your product, you need to include players that will draw in viewers. Nick, Hank, Pasha, Ozzie.....they along with a couple others are marketing draws. They're there, so are the viewers. They're not just big names in Detroit, they're big names league-wise.

If Gary Bettman had a brain more than 1/2 the size of a chickpea, he might realize the problem that is brewing here. He wants his sports to become a feasible product in the sports media market, but with the exception of the Winter Classic, he's done nothing to do just that.

I mean, no members of the defending Cup champs in the ASG just looks poor from a marketing standpoint (I have a BBA in Marketing). You want to get people to watch your product, you need to include players that will draw in viewers. Nick, Hank, Pasha, Ozzie.....they along with a couple others are marketing draws. They're there, so are the viewers. They're not just big names in Detroit, they're big names league-wise.

If Gary Bettman had a brain more than 1/2 the size of a chickpea, he might realize the problem that is brewing here. He wants his sports to become a feasible product in the sports media market, but with the exception of the Winter Classic, he's done nothing to do just that.

Those players are definately going to be there, though. Maybe not Ozzie given this season but Hank, Pasha, Lidstrom (and Hossa, if we're including finalists) are in some combination going to be in the ASG - they HAVE to, all teams need at least one representative - but they'll be selected by the league instead of the fans. The fan voting system is complete bulls*** but it should be remembered that they're only voting in 12 out of 42 players, and for the most part the guys in those 12 voted-in spots would be in the ASG anyway... well, maybe not most of them THIS year, but...

Edited by Cern

Don't get your undies in a jumble. The ASG voting is obvious fraud, probably by the NHL itself.

When you vote for ASG participants, you vote for both conferences. It wouldn't accept your vote otherwise.

If you look at the vote numbers for each conference, even allowing for some variation, you would find that the Eastern Conference received about a 60% higher number of votes than the Western conference. Even if the text voting allowed for only a single vote to be placed, the numbers are still skewed.

If the UN was observing this election, even they would have problems with it.

Guest Shoreline

I agree with you but the voters don't vote for all the ASG players, just the starters. The rest are simply voted in as the starters should be, as well.

Edited by Shoreline

I donno what's the reason of panick here. fans vote only 12 of 40something to roster. "our" stars will be in anyway.

This forum is sometimes so childish.

Actually, they may not be in... the All-Star game has a policy to have 1 player from every team in the league. So if you do the math that would mean that after each teams' player is named there would only be 4 extra spots left. A terrible shame that some of the best players in the world will not be in the ASG because of some stupid selfish fans who dont appreciate the concept of what ALL-STAR means.

Guest Shoreline
Actually, they may not be in... the All-Star game has a policy to have 1 player from every team in the league. So if you do the math that would mean that after each teams' player is named there would only be 4 extra spots left. A terrible shame that some of the best players in the world will not be in the ASG because of some stupid selfish fans who dont appreciate the concept of what ALL-STAR means.

People were complaining similarly about the Fitzpatrick ordeal, but the problem isn't the fans. The problem is the NHL's system regarding the starters for the ASG. Fans are going to be fans and likely they vote for their team. The NHL accepts multiple votes from the same person, they pretty much ***** themselves out for it. I don't think your ire should be against the fans.

Just for discussion's sake, do you think someone like Komisarek is pleased to be voted in? On the one hand, being voted a starting all-star is supposed to be an honor, and I'm sure it's exciting to be at the game, playing with many of the biggest stars, etc. But he also has to be aware that he didn't actually earn the honor, he's only there because fans rigged the vote. Do you think it would bother someone to look around the room at the Crosbys and Ovechkins, etc, and realize you don't belong here?

I know it's a meaningless game, but this vote is an embarassment to more that just Komisarek.

Komisarek is easily the worst athlete to be voted into any ASG ever, and that includes when Cincy fans stuffed the box in 1957 to put in Jstiuffs like Gus Bell and Wally Post over Willie Mays and Hank Aaron. The commissioner of that league stripped fans of the vote for 12 years. Perhaps that ought to be done here.

Anyone else think it'd be poetic justice if one of these undeserving starters were injured in the games opening minute?

I really hope they do away with this fan voting BS, basically the team with the biggest contingent of losers with nothing to do but vote over and over with their time win. At the very least limit votes to one per person.

The "undeserving starter" BS and the stuff where every team has to have a representative are some reasons why I have thought the All-Star weekend should be transformed from a skills competition and a West vs. East game into the following:

The Cup finalists, as well as East and West All-Star teams, play a four-team tournament in the city of the team that won the Cup. The tournament format would be finalist vs All-Stars in the first round, divided by conference. A total of four games would be played, with a "winners" game and a "losers" game played on the final day.

So the schedule might go as follows:

Thursday, 7 p.m. EST

Skills Competition

Friday, 7 p.m. EST

Skills Competition

Saturday, 12:30 p.m. EST

Game 1: Eastern Conference Finalist vs. Eastern Conference All-Stars

Saturday, 3:30 p.m. EST

Game 2: Western Conference Finalist vs. Western Conference All-Stars

Sunday, 12:30 p.m. EST

Game 3: Loser of Game 1 vs. Loser of Game 2

Sunday, 3:30 p.m. EST

Game 4: Winner of Game 1 vs. Winner of Game 2

Not only does this turn the All-Star Game into four games, it removes the typical 3-4 players the defending conference champions get from the All-Star team. Plus, it really makes for more of an All-Star WEEKEND. Each All-Star team would dress 18 skaters and 3 goaltenders.

Guest Shoreline
I usually care about the ASG but i really think the fan voting is a joke and could care less anymore. Don't send any wings give the boys a good rest!

I usually agree but people are blowing it out of proportion in their reaction. Not even half of the ASG roster gets voted in by the fans.