• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CrossoverThrash

Ovechkin CHEAP SHOT

Rate this topic

Yes i do watch games and i make sure to watch the Caps when i ever i get the chance. I don't see AO going out and trying to play dirty. He plays on the edge which is why he is so much fun to watch and is also what makes him such a great a player. i don't think that AO tries to hurt anyone and when he does he is the first to step up and say he did something wrong. When was the last time that Pronger ever admitted that he was in the wrong?

I don't see AO getting into to a fight with Malkin's agent having anything to do with how AO plays on the ice. I'm sure that are a ton of players that have off ice issues that play the game well and are not dirty.

Once again i don't think that AO's hit was a cheap shot. He plays the game hard. He didn't go out and try to hurt Howard.

Harold, thanks for the support on my previous post.

Ovechkin hits high, and charges soemtimes, and to compare him to pronger, lame, pronger is 6'6 his elbow is always in someone's face, ovechkin isn't that small either but still, a different situation

You're generalizing his statement unfairly. :thumbdown:

Whether or not a player is known as a dirty player DOES matter when it comes down to passing out suspensions for two reasons:

1) if there is a history of head hits etc. then the league is more likely to enforce discipline against the player.

2) if the player is known for high hits or cheap shots, then there is likely to be intent behind the hit.

the way I see it, as Ovechkin has always seemed to be completely open, honest and for the most part clean while playing very hard, I find it hard to believe that he hit Heward in the head intentionally. Much more likely to me that it was incidental contact.

Edit: man that was badly executed:

Your bolded argument to me should be about length of suspension, if we are talking about does the hit warrant a suspension. I agree if it is deemed a suspendable hit then yes you look at who it was and if it is a repeat offender longer suspension. But history should have nothing to do with whether or not the hit was suspendable, how long the suspension is YES that is when you take into consideration past history.

I truly believe his intentions were to make a big play to help boost his team that had just given up 2 goals to make the game close again. He was trying to spark the team. I believe at the end as he makes contact he does try to peel off of the hit, but it was too late, he should have slowed down sooner, he had ample time to slow down.

Snepts:

I see your point of view, didn't seem homerish even though we have different stances on this issue. (However I also do know the caliber of people that have permeated this board lately! I feel your pain!)

I agree that Heward put himself in a bad spot, however it is still AO's responsibility to not drive his head into the boards, if he had turned last second like Bergereon I would be a lot more inclined to look at it from your perspective, what bothers me is that Heward was back to AO for a long period of time and should have avoided the hit. When Heward first goes back to AO, AO is still in the paint of the crease.

Now because he should have avoided it may not make it dirty in your mind, it may be you think it was an avoidable hit that led to back things, I can see that. But I think AO knows he could have played it differently.

And if you look at the clip one of the Lightning (12) started hooking at AO then when the Camera comes back to AO the Ref is pushing him away from something, was it that player (12) or Heward who is still down I am not sure.

I also see AO's body pushing Heward down not Heward bending over but that is all perception so no arguing there.

Edited by Opie

You qualified your argument to be about length of suspension, I am talking about does the hit warrant a suspension. I agree if it is deemed a suspendable hit then yes you look at who it was and if it is a repeat offender longer suspension. But history should have nothing to do with whether or not the hit was suspendable, how long the suspension is YES that is when you take into consideration past history.

I truly believe his intentions were to make a big play to help boost his team that had just given up 2 goals to make the game close again. He was trying to spark the team. I believe at the end as he makes contact he does try to peel off of the hit, but it was too late, he should have slowed down sooner, he had ample time to slow down.

Snepts:

I see your point of view, didn't seem homerish even though we have different stances on this issue. (However I also do know the caliber of people that have permeated this board lately! I feel your pain!)

I agree that Heward put himself in a bad spot, however it is still AO's responsibility to not drive his head into the boards, if he had turned last second like Bergereon I would be a lot more inclined to look at it from your perspective, what bothers me is that Heward was back to AO for a long period of time and should have avoided the hit. When Heward first goes back to AO, AO is still in the paint of the crease.

Now because he should have avoided it may not make it dirty in your mind, it may be you think it was an avoidable hit that led to back things, I can see that. But I think AO knows he could have played it differently.

And if you look at the clip one of the Lightning (12) started hooking at AO then when the Camera comes back to AO the Ref is pushing him away from something, was it that player (12) or Heward who is still down I am not sure.

I also see AO's body pushing Heward down not Heward bending over but that is all perception so no arguing there.

That's pretty similar to what im seeing it, ovechkin honestly followed him from just past the net, all form behind

if huard would have turned at the last second into the boards and there wasn't an elbow, i would have no porblem with this play even if huard were injured although he would not have been this injured

BTW

Boarding whether intentional or accidental in my mind should be suspendable. The only way to eliminate if from the game is to make it a suspension. If it is just 2 or 4 or 5 minutes than like High sticking will always be around, if you made high sticking with blood and automatic one game suspension (I know bad example because of other players hitting sticks etc..)

the amount of high sticking would go down.

Just making it a penalty slows nothing!

The league puts in these intent rules which are discretionary calls to allow them to do just this, say that one player didn't have intent and one player did, based on who they are.

He hit the guy that was facing the boards not for a millisecond but for a full 2 seconds

Edited by Opie

Hit from behind? Yes. He needs to let up, and he does not. Should he get a game or two????Yes will he????? I doubt it.

Thsi is why i made a deal out of this, what if the league would just suspend a star player for a borderline hit for once, i can tell you this is the first tme a star player had elbowed soemone from behind all season.

I love how the announcer says

Ovechkin was chasing down the puck and they collided

Bulls*** AO hit him, whether you think the hit was clean or dirty it was a hit not a collision. A collision is when two players skate into each other, that was a hit!

for those who think ovechkin isn't even a bit dirty;(brown is one of the cleanest hitters in the game):

sure briere proably deserved it

he was suspended for this:

Edited by CrossoverThrash

I love how the announcer says

Bulls*** AO hit him, whether you think the hit was clean or dirty it was a hit not a collision. A collision is when two players skate into each other, that was a hit!

Listen to when it initially happens, one guy's like Ouch (that was a bad hit) and the other's just like ovechkin "running around" which for him can be careless

Colin Campbell confirmed this morning that the hit will be reviewed for possible supplementary discipline.

Whether or not he gets suspended at least they had the balls to come out and say they were reviewing it, but still, they will coem up with a bs explanation of it

Thsi is why i made a deal out of this, what if the league would just suspend a star player for a borderline hit for once, i can tell you this is the first tme a star player had elbowed soemone from behind all season.

I agree. The league needs to act but I will be very surprised if it will. Head shots and hits from behind need to be taken out of the game at every level. I would like to see automatic suspensions for both in the NHL Min. 1g Max.15 depending on the hit.

Colin Campbell confirmed this morning that the hit will be reviewed for possible supplementary discipline.

No offense to any one else on the board who has been a great provider of information, actually some of you are what I am referring to in this post!

Mack_Attack

You sir are a throw back poster on this site, when I first started on this site anyone could throw up questions or posts and get great information. Hell just popping into the general discussion forum was a cavalcade of information. When ever I see a thread posted by you I am in it immediately to see what is going on.

Thanks for helping keep the site what it was!

I agree. The league needs to act but I will be very surprised if it will. Head shots and hits from behind need to be taken out of the game at every level. I would like to see automatic suspensions for both in the NHL Min. 1g Max.15 depending on the hit.

unless a headshot is liek Weight's which if we suspend that we'd be *******, i think headshots should be curved somehow without getting rid of hitting, no suspensions, just maybe minor or major penalty. They shoudl also review all head hits leading to injury to quickly see the circumstance before making a call. but boarding is uncalled for even when it's "unintentional" they also coudl add the rule where you can grab the guy, and players shoudl be told not ot turn into hits, but huard was turned for 15 feet so it wasn't really his fault

Doesn't look too intentional to me. Looks like he was just trying to give a big hit and was aiming a little too high. Definately a suspension, but I really don't think Ovie was trying to be classless or anything.

Doesn't look too intentional to me. Looks like he was just trying to give a big hit and was aiming a little too high. Definately a suspension, but I really don't think Ovie was trying to be classless or anything.

100% agreement, I think he was just trying to change momentum for his team, I don't believe he wanted to injure Heward at all, but wanted to deliver a big hit to get his team back in the driver seat!

for whatever it's worth... sounds sincere to me. (from TSN)

Clad only in a towel, Ovechkin waited in the hallway for an update on Heward, who sustained a concussion and was taken to Sibley Memorial Hospital, where he was to be held overnight for further evaluation.

"I didn't know what to think," Ovechkin said. "I saw him and he turned around and .. I didn't mean to hit him. Sure, you're concerned. I want to know how he is."

Heward was face-down and motionless on the ice for about four minutes before being carefully rolled onto a backboard by paramedics and doctors. Ovechkin, worry etched on a face used to jubilant celebrations, waited in front of the Capitals bench before skating over to check on Heward.

"It was an accident and I'm very sorry," Ovechkin said. "I never want to hurt somebody, especially my old teammate. It's hard and I'm very sorry, but it's a game and it's a moment. He turns and I have speed. .. I hope he is OK."

Clad only in a towel, Ovechkin waited in the hallway for an update on Heward, who sustained a concussion and was taken to Sibley Memorial Hospital, where he was to be held overnight for further evaluation.

"I didn't know what to think," Ovechkin said. "I saw him and he turned around and .. I didn't mean to hit him. Sure, you're concerned. I want to know how he is."

Heward was face-down and motionless on the ice for about four minutes before being carefully rolled onto a backboard by paramedics and doctors. Ovechkin, worry etched on a face used to jubilant celebrations, waited in front of the Capitals bench before skating over to check on Heward.

"It was an accident and I'm very sorry," Ovechkin said. "I never want to hurt somebody, especially my old teammate. It's hard and I'm very sorry, but it's a game and it's a moment. He turns and I have speed. .. I hope he is OK."

almost anybody would say the same things

I hate to be the bearer of bad news Alex but he didn't turn just before you hit him, he turned at the net and you followed him to the boards.

Kostopuolos was sayign the same things

you obviously have an axe to grind... i'm not biting because i just call it as i see it... that was an unfortunate CLEAN hit. the only reason we're even having this conversation is because of WHO made the hit, not due to the end result.

it was clean, regardless of who dealt or received the impact.

To me it sounds like he feels very bad about the hit, I think he shouldn't get suspension.

almost anybody would say the same things

sure, and hence the "for whatever its worth" introduction... the words themselves seem sincere, that's just my opinion. just figured adding an update from a confirmed source would potentially change the course of this thread... call it wishful thinking.

Guest Shoreline
you obviously have an axe to grind... i'm not biting because i just call it as i see it... that was an unfortunate CLEAN hit. the only reason we're even having this conversation is because of WHO made the hit, not due to the end result.

QFT.

Edited by Shoreline

To me it sounds like he feels very bad about the hit, I think he shouldn't get suspension.

It shouldn't matter how he feels. If it was a dirty hit, there should be a suspension.

This is similar to the stuff Ryan Hollweg always gets suspended for. It will be interesting to see whether the league upholds its double standard as shown by Chris Pronger last year, when he tried to step on someone.