• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#161 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:00 PM

This was a clear hit from behind and any suspension incurred is deserved. Not saying that there was intent to injure but it was a hit from behind and that is not legal for the safety of the players.

#162 imisssergei

imisssergei

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:07 PM

I saw this live, and at first it did look like a hit from behind. However, the more I watch it, the more I realize that it's nothing more than a player knowing that he is going to get hit, turning his back to the opposition.

The hitee is to blame, not the hitter.
When nothing is going right, go left.

#163 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE (imisssergei @ January 3, 2009 - 05:07PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw this live, and at first it did look like a hit from behind. However, the more I watch it, the more I realize that it's nothing more than a player knowing that he is going to get hit, turning his back to the opposition.

The hitee is to blame, not the hitter.

This argument has ground when it happens at close range, but Ovechkin was looking at his back the whole way in. It wasn't Heward's fault for going after the puck like that. It looks like he just stumbled a bit and Ovechkin checked his head into the boards with his elbow. Unintentional, but it still should have been a penalty.

No susp. though.
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#164 imisssergei

imisssergei

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (Yzerfan1999 @ January 3, 2009 - 06:11PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This argument has ground when it happens at close range, but Ovechkin was looking at his back the whole way in. It wasn't Heward's fault for going after the puck like that. It looks like he just stumbled a bit and Ovechkin checked his head into the boards with his elbow. Unintentional, but it still should have been a penalty.

No susp. though.

I wouldn't argue either way on a penalty. I can see both sides of that argument anyhow. What I will argue is that when Heward turned as he went into the boards, Ovie also changed his angle of pursuit. This made Ovie hit Heward closer to the front side than from behind. Couple that with Ovie not driving Heward's head into the boards, or for that matter not really hitting Heward all that hard, I think it's just a solid hockey play. If Heward doesn't turn like he does, he isn't put in a position that he was. Ovie, IMHO, did more than enough to ensure that Heward wasn't hit from behind.

Watch the replay again. Ovie hardly touches Heward. Think about it. How does Ovie do everything? 110%, all out attack. So to see him not finish his check really says something to me. Also, if you look, Ovie's body makes minimal contact with Heward. It's really only Ovie's arms than make any significant contact with Heward. I think what happened is that Heward thought he could avoid a big hit by turning his back to Ovie, and lost his balance with Ovie brushed him.

No malicious intent, just a poorly executed play by both players with a poor outcome.
When nothing is going right, go left.

#165 redwashington2000

redwashington2000

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:32 PM

What a waist of time, looks to me Crossover is enjoing each reply he is receiving, couse he is answering all of them.
Stupid Post and Title

#166 CrossoverThrash

CrossoverThrash

Mine alien force overpower you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (redwashington2000 @ January 3, 2009 - 06:32PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a waist of time, looks to me Crossover is enjoing each reply he is receiving, couse he is answering all of them.
Stupid Post and Title

well judging by youre name you're not a homer, quit being offended

#167 j.hoop

j.hoop

i hate the flyers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (WeBleedRed @ January 2, 2009 - 10:02PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what about a "star" player punching someone in the balls?

damn crosby straight up fisted him!!
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” - Sophocles
Posted Image

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.