• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheUkrainian

Crosby "fight"

Rate this topic

Why are Red Wings fans calling players on other teams "*****" and "*****"? I don't get it. We have plenty of ******* and ******* on our team. How often have we seem Maltby and Chelios shoot their mouths off and refuse to fight? That's *****. If you're gonna chirp, you should be ready to back it up. Let's work on purging the *****-moves from the squad we like before we point out the ***** moves from other squads, especially when their "*****" is one of the best players in the league who has every reason not to fight, unlike Maltby or Chelios.

And Samuelsson is getting worse than both of them. I actualy find myself hoping someone does jump Sammy, just so he has to actually fight and back it up.

I don't think what Crosby did was the least bit worthy of a suspension, and I don't think he was really that "gutless" "cheap" or whatever anyone wants to call him - in that case. I am highly curious what the league-wide reaction would be if say, some player from Philly jumped Crosby like that.

Everyone is always saying how Crosby is constantly forced on them by the media, I don't really see tonnes of Crosby ads?! There are some but not like a constant bombardment. I guess its just something for Crosby haters to exagerrate and rag on? There always seems to be some excuse being thrown around as reason to hate him.

As far as the bombardment of Crosby ads.. your profile -does- state you're from Canada. Where I'd imagine the commercials are probably completely different than ours. When I'm watching games that are broadcast on CI that are coming from a Canadian feed - you're right. I don't see much Crosby action. When they're broadcast here in the states? Or even worse.. on Vs? I'd be willing to bet 2:1 on the Crosby vs. anything else NHL related commercial content. It's definitely a matter of region in many places. On my home FSN feed, I get a lot of Blues commercials (Yes - they make them :P For the record) but I also see generic commercials featuring Crosby, especially the premiere Center Ice commercial which focuses directly on the Penguins, and not the NHL in general.

As far as his "fight" is concerned, it looked more like he wasn't even throwing punches. Just grabbing fistfuls of jersey and shaking him in a circle. It looked pretty lame. I'm going to check out hockeyfights.com and see their reactions. I'm anticipating it'll be highly entertaining.

Crosby was bitching that he didn't deserve 20 minutes of penalties in a post game interview, what a baby

and this is our face of our NHL, folks ...way to go Buttman, you really know how to pick em :P

of course Buttman skulked off to the media and complains about our winning the winter classic...cause his other NHL faces didnt get to have their 'coming out' party.

No wonder he likes Duchess Crosby. They have a lot in common, hehehe

We all know a captain may from time to time when his team is in a slump get a little something going to inspire his team and get them perked up. Not this pathetic excuse for a captian. He goes and spends the equivalent of one entire period of hockey - 21 mins total - in the box/off the ice. Thats really helping your team, Imust say. Way to go. Thats telling those Panthers! :rolleyes:

I hope he and Therrien for that matter, they are both pathetic, not even pens fans like therrien - never win any cups.

We all know a captain may from time to time when his team is in a slump get a little something going to inspire his team and get them perked up. Not this pathetic excuse for a captian. He goes and spends the equivalent of one entire period of hockey - 21 mins total - in the box/off the ice. Thats really helping your team, Imust say. Way to go. Thats telling those Panthers! :rolleyes:

Huh?? You think a period goes for 21 mins?

Anyway, in the interview Sid admitted he thought he'd only get 5 and admitted that the 20 wasn't worth it. If he had the choice again, knowing he'd get 20, he wouldn't have done it. OMG what a ******!!! I can't believe he said that!!!!!!!

As far as the bombardment of Crosby ads.. your profile -does- state you're from Canada. Where I'd imagine the commercials are probably completely different than ours. When I'm watching games that are broadcast on CI that are coming from a Canadian feed - you're right. I don't see much Crosby action. When they're broadcast here in the states? Or even worse.. on Vs? I'd be willing to bet 2:1 on the Crosby vs. anything else NHL related commercial content. It's definitely a matter of region in many places. On my home FSN feed, I get a lot of Blues commercials (Yes - they make them :P For the record) but I also see generic commercials featuring Crosby, especially the premiere Center Ice commercial which focuses directly on the Penguins, and not the NHL in general.

I am from Canada but I don't watch much Canadian TV... other than Trailer Park Boys and The Red Green Show. I have a US dish and maybe I don't see that many Crosby ads because I get most games on Fox Sports Detroit. I do see some but not so many that it makes me hate the guy nor do I feel that he is being forced. I see more Peyton Manning ads then Crosby and I have yet to hear people complain that Manning is being forced on them... Or maybe I like his ads because I am a Colts fan?!

Edited by The Secret

Huh?? You think a period goes for 21 mins?

No. I don't think that. A period is 20 mins - all hockey fans know this.

But he did spend the equivalent of one period in the box/off the ice.

Plus one extra minute.

Whatever though. I still think Crosby was being a douchenozzle.

Guest micah

Don't forget to roll your eyes at Steve Yzerman - he's had a few 30-something PIM games/game misconducts...

My problem with Crosby is his sence of entitlement. People have blown so much messiah smoke up his ass that it has made his head spin. I would love to see less NHL network commercials w/o Crosby. Call him the face of the league if you want, I'd rather see the ass. (figuratively speaking)

A few games of losing and he can't handle it? He should play for an organization that routinely trys to win.

Don't forget to roll your eyes at Steve Yzerman - he's had a few 30-something PIM games/game misconducts...

and we're not even talking from his younger days when he had the Bruise Brothers stirring things up.

10/30/03 against Nashville Predators.

1st period - Yzerman gets 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike plus a 10 misconduct

3rd period - Yzerman another 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct, plus two 10 minute misconducts, and is ejected.

34 minutes in penalties.

Yzerman complained, and was given his second misconduct, and a game misconduct, ending his night with 34 penalty minutes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=231030027

Steve Yzerman complained? :scared: I thought only whiny babies like Cindy Crosby ever complained?!?!

micah and harold.....puh - lease don't try to compare yzerman with crosby.

Leadership, as defined by my army cadet handbook when i was a Royal Canadian Army Cadet in the mid to late 90's - is

"The art of influencing human behavior in order to accomplish a task in the manner desired by the leader."

Yzerman is regarded as one of the greatest NHL hockey captains ever. Do you think people care that Yzerman complained some when he was younger? Don't think so. Nor do most people care that other captains like Lemieux and Gretzky also complained in their day.

But - did they make up for it? I think so. Did they help bring championships to their respective teams and help make them into dynasties? Yes they did. (well except pittsburgh, but who knows what would have happened if Lemieux wasnt plagued by health problems. Would probably have brought more cups to pittsburgh.)

When Crosby has accomplished what these people have done - then we'll talk. When Crosby does this, people won't care about his blemishes. He has set good records and good stats for such a young man. I am not trying to erase the fact he has accomplished and done well for himself so far. But as of yet - it isnt fair or right to compare Crosby with these other people who are practically legends.

Fancy how having a Cup ring transforms one from a whiner to a leader. :lol:

I'd also like to point out that yes a person can be a good leader and captain - and never win a stanley cup. Saku Koivu for example is a good leader - without a Cup. Trevor Linden is another.

But I just don't see Crosby as there yet in leadership skills. Now he may develop them, because leadership can be learned . But is he there yet? I just don't think so.

and again - its not right at this time to compare him with Yzerman and the other captains I've mentioned.

Nor is it right - as of yet - to say he is on par with that of SKoivu and Linden.

In my opinion anyway.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
My problem with Crosby is his sence of entitlement. People have blown so much messiah smoke up his ass that it has made his head spin. I would love to see less NHL network commercials w/o Crosby. Call him the face of the league if you want, I'd rather see the ass. (figuratively speaking)

A few games of losing and he can't handle it? He should play for an organization that routinely trys to win.

Please, pretty please elaborate on that.

Oh right, I get it, it's because he complains to the refs. Shouldn't the other 29 team captains in the league sit this little turd down and explain to him that arguing calls is just wimpy, ***** like behavior? :rolleyes:

Sense of entitlement? I tell you, LGW is starting to look like Arkham Asylum with all the crazies running around.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Leadership, as defined by my army cadet handbook when i was a Royal Canadian Army Cadet in the mid to late 90's - is

"The art of influencing human behavior in order to accomplish a task in the manner desired by the leader."

Yzerman is regarded as one of the greatest NHL hockey captains ever. Do you think people care that Yzerman complained some when he was younger? Don't think so. Nor do most people care that other captains like Lemieux and Gretzky also complained in their day.

But - did they make up for it? I think so. Did they help bring championships to their respective teams and help make them into dynasties? Yes they did. (well except pittsburgh, but who knows what would have happened if Lemieux wasnt plagued by health problems. Would probably have brought more cups to pittsburgh.)

When Crosby has accomplished what these people have done - then we'll talk. When Crosby does this, people won't care about his blemishes. He has set good records and good stats for such a young man. I am not trying to erase the fact he has accomplished and done well for himself so far. But as of yet - it isnt fair or right to compare Crosby with these other people who are practically legends.

So maybe you could tell the haters around here to stop bitching about every little thing Crosby does that isn't perfect. You freely admit that Yzerman and other great Captains did their fair share of whining in their day, especially their youth. But it's okay b/c in the end they brought championships. So are you telling me we're going to have to sit through endless threads of how Crosby isn't a good leader b/c the Pens haven't won a cup with him?

This boils down to a simple fact. Hockey players ***** and whine all the time, some more than others. What people here gloss over is the FACT that every player complains. They see Crosby do it and they just lose their collective s***. OMG! Crosby complains to ref, what a baby, what a terrible leader.

What total fecking hypocrisy. It's all about Crosby hate and nothing else. Non crosby haters (like myself) can go an entire NHL season without starting a single Crosby thread. But the Crosby haters can't go more than 3 days w/o posting something. They are all infatuated with him. They love him. They want to smell his jock after a game. I dunno what it is but these folks should seriously look in the mirror and either come to grips with their man love for Sid or stop posturing. This record is done broken. The crosby hate train is over on the fecking Flyers board if some of our fellow LGWers would like to move on over there. Sadly, I will miss them. :rolleyes:

and this is our face of our NHL, folks ...way to go Buttman, you really know how to pick em :P

of course Buttman skulked off to the media and complains about our winning the winter classic...cause his other NHL faces didnt get to have their 'coming out' party.

No wonder he likes Duchess Crosby. They have a lot in common, hehehe

I hope he and Therrien for that matter, they are both pathetic, not even pens fans like therrien - never win any cups.

The fight or incident that Crosby was the primary initiator isn't the first time something like this has happened in the league. For better or worse, sometimes people get "jumped" like that sometimes. Because Crosby gets so much attention does that make it excusable? No, of course not.

Stuff like this happens though from time to time. This isn't a Pronger skate stomp or Pronger mashing Holmstrom's head into boards with his arms/hands in the playoffs. Not even close. It's not even remotely close to Tootoo jumping Robidas like a coward in that specific incident.

I don't see how this fight or incident is such a huge, big deal compared to other fights or scraps in the league when the fight itself isn't too far out of the oridnary from other fights. Does it stink that the other guy got jumped? Yeah, but this isn't any brand new discovery, and the other guy agreed to scrap in prinicple. If Crosby did a Pronger skate stomp, or a Chris Simon action, or a Holmstrom head smash into the boards, then the outrage toward him is probably more justified.

Could Crosby have gone about it better? Perhaps, but what do you all expect him to do though, take off his glove and yell like the Sheriff to Robin Hood in an English accent, "I challenge you to a duel!" and smack him with the glove accordingly? Blow snot rockets out of his nose and say, "Ho-hum, life is fine!" while he gets mauled?

I will emphasize again that just because Crosby did this doesn't make this any excusable than other similar incidents that happened like this. Regarding this Crosby does not get special treatement from me. Largely because it is Crosby though, it gets blown out of proportion, just as bad if not worsely overblown than when people might complain about the positive media spin he might get. And this happens just about every time when fans go off the wall with the Crosby dislike. The disliking by fans is far more exaggerated/worse than the pro attention he gets in my mind, as well as the quantity. Pick another captain or leader in this same fight or situation, probably not talked about as much or very little.

And Crosby doesn't have to do anything to change his behavior because he is a media focus or anything like that or fans expect "better" of him because he is a marketing focus. He doesn't work for NHL Marketing. His job is to play and captain for the Pittsburgh Penguins. If NHL gurus want a different marketing focus with a different player/players outside of Crosby, that's up to them.

Does this Crosby fight deserve some attention and talk? Sure, but not to the degree and vitol it is getting in my opinion, because this isn't the first time such a scrap has happened, nor will it be the last, whether it invovles Crosby or Greg Goldberg from the District-5 Ducks.

As for Therrien, he's far from my favorite also but he's still an NHL coach for a reason and led this team to the Stanley Cup Finals. That's not too long ago.

Yzerman didn't make it a habit, that's the difference. Just sayin'...

esteef

Nobody here in their right mind is going to realistically compare Yzerman or Gretzky to Crosby right now. I'm pretty sure they are smarter than that.

Plenty of people here though sound like they expect Crosby to exhibit perfect behavior 100% all of the time. That's impossible to do. Everybody has their bad moments sometimes. Even Yzerman as well, and that is all haroldsnepts and micah are trying to say indirectly, and I think Yzerman is somebody we treat as close to as perfect in here in terms of a hockey player or athlete or person.

So maybe you could tell the haters around here to stop bitching about every little thing Crosby does that isn't perfect. You freely admit that Yzerman and other great Captains did their fair share of whining in their day, especially their youth. But it's okay b/c in the end they brought championships. So are you telling me we're going to have to sit through endless threads of how Crosby isn't a good leader?

Jus my opinion, but I think yes we may very well have to. You are right, and players ***** all the time. As Gordie Howe put it : "Players know two languages: English and cursing."

but Crosby isn't just the face of a franchise like yzerman was, lemieux was, etc. He is the face of the NHL. and a captain to boot. That position - being put up there like that as not only a captain but the face of the entire NHL - carries with it responsibility. It is a position of power in a sense. and I think that hockey fans expect quite a bit from the player that carries this name. Hence all the crosby bashing. Ovechkin did some of what some fans think of as cheapshotting. But even he doesnt get the hype that Crosby does. Because he is not the face of the NHL. I really do think fans expect more from 'the face of the nhl' because thats what position he has right now.

I won't start any 'i hate crosby' topics though. I have never started one yet on any board. In facxt i was gonna go make a topic saying that it was nice of Sid to spend a couple of million of his own money to buy new hockey equipment for a minor hockey team in his home town in Nova Scotia. There were girls on this team too and he even bought their jerseys and stuff. Even though thus far only one femalehas even played in an NHL game.

Nobody here in their right mind is going to realistically compare Yzerman or Gretzky to Crosby right now. I'm pretty sure they are smarter than that.

not everybody ;)

last year omg this guy i knew from university and all he could talk about was, "crosby's so great, crosby's so wonderful, he is our 21st century wayne gretzky. He is our gretzky"

and I was like Oh please, spare me. :rolleyes:

of course I am not sure if this guy knew a thing about hockey. The idiot later stopped talking to me once he found out I am a Tomas Holmström fan who he called a 'dirty unsportsmanlike player ' and 'screening is for losers' and 'goalie obstruction'

He also said that if a goalie wasnt on the same level as a Roy or Brodeur (who he loved) then he sucks. He criticized MAF and said he sucks because he cant play like Brodeur.

anyway I disgress. This dude compared Crosby with Gretzky. and I bet lots of other people say that type of stuff as well.

Edited by Holmstrom96Screens

Non crosby haters (like myself) can go an entire NHL season without starting a single Crosby thread.

For the record, I have never started a Crosby thread. I merely fan the flames.

...back to your regularly scheduled programs folks....

esteef

Why are so many people playing captain save a ho? If people want to dog Crosby that is their choice, I see no reason to try and tell people they are wrong for hating him and then start dogging our team instead. At the same time I don't see why Crosby gets so much hate, if anything he has helped the game grow in popularity. But if you're hating keep hating cause I find it funny.

Please, pretty please elaborate on that.

Oh right, I get it, it's because he complains to the refs. Shouldn't the other 29 team captains in the league sit this little turd down and explain to him that arguing calls is just wimpy, ***** like behavior? :rolleyes:

Sense of entitlement? I tell you, LGW is starting to look like Arkham Asylum with all the crazies running around.

It's not that he constantly whines. All players will chirp at the refs when things aren't going their way or they fell like the call was biased against him. His entitlement is clearly seen in every single interview he gives. He lacks major leadership qualities and comes off as pompous, arrogant and entitled. Great hockey player yes, but he has a long way to go to until the HOF.

As for his “fight”, I didn’t watch the game, so I don’t know what lead up his jersey shakedown, but he should leave fighting to the big boys. It would be a shame to see someone injure him because he doesn’t know how to protect himself.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
It's not that he constantly whines. All players will chirp at the refs when things aren't going their way or they fell like the call was biased against him. His entitlement is clearly seen in every single interview he gives. He lacks major leadership qualities and comes off as pompous, arrogant and entitled. Great hockey player yes, but he has a long way to go to until the HOF.

As for his “fight”, I didn’t watch the game, so I don’t know what lead up his jersey shakedown, but he should leave fighting to the big boys. It would be a shame to see someone injure him because he doesn’t know how to protect himself.

If anybody would like to back up Servo's claim, please do so and please provide examples. For years, all Crosby has done in interviews is say the "right things". I have never seen an interview, read an article or even heard of anyone claiming what you are claiming in regards to interviews. I recall his rookie and 2nd seasons many people discussing how he is humble in interviews and does not appear to have a pompous, arrogant attitude given his fame. Literally, you are the first person in 4+ years is it now, that I have ever seen make that assertion. I would love more info on this, maybe some examples too.

PS; there's lots of great interviews on sid on youtube, and he seems very humble to me. check out the 1 with him and AO, presser before last year's ASG I believe. Watch that and tell me the kid is pompous and has a sense of entitlement?

Anyway, here's a fun one that I had never seen before and featuring one of my all time favorite Wings and players: SHANNY!

Edited by GordieSid&Ted