• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
VM1138

Looking for 1940s, 50s, 60s Red Wings videos

Rate this topic

I just recently finished reading the excellent book "Gods of Olympia Stadium" and it got me to thinking. I know there are various newsreel clips of older hockey games, but do any games exist in full? Or even in complete segments, without jerky cutting?

I'd especially like anything from the 1950s Cup runs (as I seriously doubt any 1940s complete footage exists), but notably a brawl in the playoffs against Toronto in 1950 that started off with swinging sticks. Also, any footage of the regular season matchup between the Canadiens and the Wings where tear gas was used, NHL President Campbell was attacked and the Montreal fans started rioting and overturning cars outside because they were losing 3-1 after the first would be awesome to see.

Anyways, I know some of you out there may have access to various archives, and would appreciaet it if anyone knew of the existence of anything like this.

I've given half-hearted attempts in the past, and there does not seem to be much out there.

For good clips, do a search for "Legends of Hockey" and "Gordie Howe", Kelly, Sawchuk, Lindsay, etc... The Hockey Hall of Fame has put a lot of those together and includes some old game video.

Let me know if you have any luck, as I would love to get my hands on some of this as well.

i would say put this in the creative media section however it won't get many views there.

But I'm not looking to create anything, just to find old videos, and yeah, no hits.

Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling that video doesn't exist.

I really don't know where you can get Wings videos from that time period but, if you have The NHL Network on cable, they show old games and they've shown some old Wings games from back then. One was from 1970-71, when the Wings went into Toronto and got trounced 13-0. They've also shown a game from the 64 Cup Final vs the Leafs when Leafs player Bob Baun broke his leg, came back out and scored the Cup winning goal for the Leafs. And I believe there's been a couple fo more from the 50's, they've shown. It's not much but, it's a start.

There is an NHL Productions DVD out there called "Game 7 Collection," which has partial to full broadcasts of every Stanley Cup Final Game 7 in NHL History. The Red Wing games included in it are:

Wings/Leafs 4/25/64

Wings/Habs 4/14/55

Wings/Habs 4/16/54

Wings/Rangers 4/23/50

Wings/Leafs 4/22/45

Wings/Leafs 4/18/42

It's a pretty neat DVD collection.

Guest dekeyuk

Taking care of old tapes or film (many old shows were taped, not filmed) is expensive and a lot of work. The originals may be long gone or in some dusty vault of a local news station and rotting away. Maybe, just maybe, if you were getting your PhD in Redwing history they would let you look at them! :-) Alas, this kind of thing is all too common. A lot of our history on film/tape is lost. Why not try and contact the Wings or TV stations? Hall of Fame? Still, good luck!

The Hockey Hall of Fame maintains a lot of old footage. I am not sure how difficult it is or even if it is possible for Joe Schmoe to ask for a recording, however, but it would be worth a shot! Please post if you have any luck anywhere.

I just recently finished reading the excellent book "Gods of Olympia Stadium" and it got me to thinking. I know there are various newsreel clips of older hockey games, but do any games exist in full? Or even in complete segments, without jerky cutting?

I'd especially like anything from the 1950s Cup runs (as I seriously doubt any 1940s complete footage exists), but notably a brawl in the playoffs against Toronto in 1950 that started off with swinging sticks. Also, any footage of the regular season matchup between the Canadiens and the Wings where tear gas was used, NHL President Campbell was attacked and the Montreal fans started rioting and overturning cars outside because they were losing 3-1 after the first would be awesome to see.

Anyways, I know some of you out there may have access to various archives, and would appreciaet it if anyone knew of the existence of anything like this.

I have the NHL produced 1954 and 1955 Stanley Cup highlights on tape. PASS showed them back in the 1990s, with Dave Strader and Johnny Wilson hosting. There was a company in Illinois that was selling different years of Stanley Cup Highlights. I bought the 1966 Wings/Habs Hightlights from them. There are some videotape trading sites where collectors trade games.

Not much from the 1950s, and none before 1959 I believe. Leafstv has shown some old games, but as for the Wings in the Cup Finals, 1963 and 1964.