• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
titanium2

Red Wings' Pavel Datsyuk impresses teammates

Rate this topic

Red Wings' Pavel Datsyuk impresses teammates

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...yuk_impres.html

DETROIT -- Pavel Datsyuk was asked who taught him his moves.

"My daughter. I've seen how kids play," he said.

Datsyuk is as quick with a quip as he is with the puck on his stick, and he can make the game seem like child's play with his amazing array of moves. The latest came Saturday, when he scored a spectacular shootout goal against Minnesota's Josh Harding, lifting the Detroit Red Wings to a 3-2 victory.

"When he does something like that, you can see the whole bench go 'Wow!' teammate Niklas Kronwall said. "A lot of the things he does with the puck are almost impossible to do, and he does it full speed. I don't know if I've seen a player like that."

Datsyuk dangles the puck, drags his toe, shifts his weight, switches from forehand to backhand in a flash and hangs goaltenders out to dry. Jiri Hudler's advice to kids would be: Don't try this at home.

"You want to try it, but you kind of break your hands," Hudler said. "You want to do (the) same as him, but it's impossible."

Datsyuk said his moves are a combination of natural ability and hard work.

"I don't know all my moves myself," he said. "Maybe some come in a dream."

Datsyuk said some of his shootout moves are planned, but added, "you mostly try to read the situation and move."

"For a shootout, it's take the puck and see where the goalie is (and) decide what to do," Datsyuk said. "You always have time to change. I have a couple moves, but depending on what the goalie does, I might have to do something different."

The move is special, he said, only if he finishes.

"If you don't score, no one will remember because they won't show on TV," Datsyuk said. "If you score, you have a chance to see yourself on TV, and that's special to see how you played in that moment."

Datsyuk works on his moves in practice but saves his best for games.

"If he's got a step on you, he can just accelerate. If you're even with him, he can still stick-handle through you and then come with speed," Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom said. "He's so shifty. It's hard to know how fast he's coming at you. You think you have him and he still gets by you."

Goaltender Ty Conklin said he enjoys playing against Datsyuk in practice.

"It's not fun to face him (in games), it's fun to watch it from the other end of the ice," Conklin said. "It's not just goalies he does it to, he does it to defensemen and forwards all the time. He has a knack for making guys look foolish sometimes."

Datsyuk has come a long way from earlier in his career when he lacked strength and was easier to outmuscle.

"Now I've grown up and worked in the gym and I can play more physical," he said.

Opponents must respect his strength.

"When someone hits me, I try to do something back," Datsyuk said. "I'm stronger. I'll hit back and finish on the forecheck. It's more part of my game now. I know more how to use my body when I check. I know how not to fall when I'm checked. Maybe I'm a little bit heavier, too."

Despite scoring in the shootout against the Wild, Datsyuk was held without a point, snapping a nine-game scoring streak (eight goals, nine assists) that gave him the team scoring lead with 42 points.

"If you go back over the four years I've been here, Pav's never been the best player at the start, he's always gotten better and better as the year has gone on," Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. "Pav loves to have fun and gets energized when he's playing real good, and it seems to carry. And right now, whoever we play him with seems to play real good."

When it was pointed out that he has been shooting more (he had a season-high seven shots in each of the two wins against Chicago last week), Datsyuk did not pass up an opportunity for a one-liner.

"Where I come from in Russia, we didn't have many sticks. I try to save sticks by passing more," Datsyuk said. "Now, after everyone tells me more shoot, I finally I broke through the wall and I shoot."

That's our Pasha!

Little story in today's Free Press:

"Pavel Datsyuk's winning shoot-out goal against Minnesota on Saturday was so impressive that video of the goal had more than 10,000 hits on You Tube by Monday.

"The move may be getting famous, but Datsyuk has yet to name it.

"'Name?' he said. "Goal.'"

:D

Guest dekeyuk
If only for one day, I wish I was Pavel Datsyuk.

Ha! I say the same thing all the time. It's not just the dekes, how about that wrist shot. That little play they worked out in the pp is a killer and I hope we see more! Datsyuk sort of comes up to the blue line as Nick moves the puck over along the line, passes to Dats who lines up a wrister as Homer works on the screen.... Man.

Anyone who things Dats is just flash has not been paying attention. He is a critical component of the Wings and their success. Some people on this board may not think so, but so what. Holland does, Yzerman does and so do all the Wings.

That's our Pasha!

Little story in today's Free Press:

"Pavel Datsyuk's winning shoot-out goal against Minnesota on Saturday was so impressive that video of the goal had more than 10,000 hits on You Tube by Monday.

"The move may be getting famous, but Datsyuk has yet to name it.

"'Name?' he said. "Goal.'"

:D

I'd say you could call it the "(Insert goalie's name) is now my *****" move. So far Turco, Vokoun, and Harding are on the list.

Anyone who things Dats is just flash has not been paying attention. He is a critical component of the Wings and their success. Some people on this board may not think so, but so what. Holland does, Yzerman does and so do all the Wings.

There are actually people who think that? :scared:

C'mon. Everyone knows that Kopecky is the linchpin to the whole team, and the best player on the ice. Kopecky is just biding his time until the playoffs, when he'll turn into a Franzenian monster. Then everyone will be like "Pavel who?"

Guest MrSandMan

Our scouts are as talanted as Dats. Without them, Pavs may still be in Russia right now. Another great thing about Pavs is he's a bargain at $6.7 million. Hopefully Zetterberg will see this when he talks with Holland on resigning.

Ha! I say the same thing all the time. It's not just the dekes, how about that wrist shot. That little play they worked out in the pp is a killer and I hope we see more! Datsyuk sort of comes up to the blue line as Nick moves the puck over along the line, passes to Dats who lines up a wrister as Homer works on the screen.... Man.

Oh how soon some people forget the days when there were those on this very board who were screaming that he should be traded, that he choked during the playoffs, that he wasn't worth $6.7 million. I remember those days vividly, because I was one of the ones who stood up for him and defended Holland's decision to keep him. And my patience, as well as management's, has paid off in volumes.

Like the entry above, I have been one of Pasha's biggest fans and supporters since day one, and it will be a cold day in you know where before that changes.

Oh how soon some people forget the days when there were those on this very board who were screaming that he should be traded, that he choked during the playoffs, that he wasn't worth $6.7 million. I remember those days vividly, because I was one of the ones who stood up for him and defended Holland's decision to keep him. And my patience, as well as management's, has paid off in volumes.

Like the entry above, I have been one of Pasha's biggest fans and supporters since day one, and it will be a cold day in you know where before that changes.

I remember watching an NBC broadcast the last year of his contract and all Brett Hull was saying was that he was going to Washington to play with Oveckin and that it was pretty much a done deal. two days later he re-signs with the wings. lol

I remember it vividly. I think there was even a group on here called "DOKAPASAPA" (Dispense of Kenny and Pavel As Soon As Possible Already) or something like that. Even NorrisNick was convinced he should be traded (and NN is usually dead-on about everything). I can definitely say that I was right about this one.

The calls to trade Datsyuk years and years ago were fairly legit and valid as he generally underproduced when it counted most until a few seasons ago.

He proved his worth 2 playoff seasons ago and is definitely a top winger without much question who now plays a great all around game - talent/skill, great defense/backchecking, and the ability to play physical when needed.

It shouldn't be a manner of nanny nanny poo poo I told you so or rubbing people's faces in dirt that they are wrong who wanted him traded. I'm sure both the big supporters as well as the loud naysayers back then are equally happy how much he has developed into a helluva player.

Guest dekeyuk

I disagree SWF. Some people are just plain wrong and need to be reminded. There were plenty here supporting Dastyuk while others foolishly undervalued him. The first playoff he had without the old guard around he stepped up and prior to that had the wussy post season coaching of Lewis who kept saying things like, "Sooner or later things should change." Nope, people need to eat their crow cold and rotten.

I disagree SWF. Some people are just plain wrong and need to be reminded. There were plenty here supporting Dastyuk while others foolishly undervalued him. The first playoff he had without the old guard around he stepped up and prior to that had the wussy post season coaching of Lewis who kept saying things like, "Sooner or later things should change." Nope, people need to eat their crow cold and rotten.

And many of them have probably already have eaten their crow internally or told themselves that they were wrong without any of the gigantic supporters yelling "HAHA" or "STUPID!" and are probably happy they were wrong. No need to rub their faces in dirt. Eventually you just gotta forget about it and move on, no need to stir stuff up in the boiling pot more than necessary.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Guest dekeyuk
And many of them have probably already have eaten their crow internally or told themselves that they were wrong without any of the gigantic supporters yelling "HAHA" or "STUPID!" and are probably happy they were wrong. No need to rub their faces in dirt. Eventually you just gotta forget about it and move on, no need to stir stuff up in the boiling pot more than necessary.

Gee I wonder how you feel about the mortgage crisis, auto company failure and everything else. I forgive AIG. The past is past. Nope, I stand firm on this. There are smart people and dumb people in this world and the dumb people have had enough time in the spot light. Yes, even when it comes to hockey. If you have been wrong in the past, think about why. If you don't get it and keep on making poorly thought out ascertains then you are a fool and wasting people's time.

Gee I wonder how you feel about the mortgage crisis, auto company failure and everything else. I forgive AIG. The past is past. Nope, I stand firm on this. There are smart people and dumb people in this world and the dumb people have had enough time in the spot light. Yes, even when it comes to hockey. If you have been wrong in the past, think about why. If you don't get it and keep on making poorly thought out ascertains then you are a fool and wasting people's time.

If you want to act petty and constantly focus on people's faults or imperfections, have at it. That's not my cup of tea.

Too stringy of meat to eat that way. A crock pot with barbecue sauce will do. :lol:

I'll stand up and admit that I thought we were overpaying him and to frustration with how he (well, his agent) handled the negotiation, at least until that playoff year when he shook the "playoff choker" label.

Now? One of my favorite players of all time. There is absolutely nothing in the game of hockey that he doesn't do at the highest level, and with some of the sick goals and other things (not the least of which is the assist on the ENG tonight), he's showing he has the it factor of very few players I've ever seen.

And he's hilarious.

I was always behind Datsyuk. When he struggled in the playoffs, you could see he was creating a lot of chances and looked snake bitten around the net. I figured it would be a matter of time before he started producing.

Early on, I noticed the puck stealing and him being solid on his skates for his size as well. Pav. is the reason I got back into watching hockey again in '03. Most entertaining player I've ever seen. When he got his big contract, I said it was worth it for this reason alone but you watch, he'll produce as well. And he has.

As for saying "I'm Right!" haha, So what? A lot of people had the haughty attitude about him being a one-dimensional flashy and overpaid player who sucks in the playoffs. But if you watched closely, he didn't suck in the playoffs; he played well but couldn't seem to finish those plays off. And you knew a guy that talented would find a way...

When we resigned him for so much money many people were freaking out. It's not so much about rubbing people's faces in it as it is more keeping people's emotions and over exaggerations in check. I remember someone saying his resigning was the end of the Red Wings as we knew it, but in the end the team was just getting started.

At the time, I took comfort in Steve Yzerman saying "he's a special kind of player," and that's why he got the contract that he did.

He wasn't wrong about that.