• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Winter Classic Jersey Auction

Rate this topic

There is an auction going on at the League website, partnered with the MeiGray Group, of "game-worn" and "game-issued" jerseys. For the auction of:

"Detroit Red Wings - #25 Darren McCarty - White 2009 Winter Classic Game-Issued Jersey"

there is a line in the description stating:

"the actual jersey prepared for use by #25 Darren McCarty of the Detroit Red Wings during the second period of this historic event."

What happened in the second period? Were team pictures taken? He's with the Club now, but not on the game roster or scratch list, correct? But, I'm begging you: please, don't everyone go over to the website at once. It runs slow enough now and a sudden surge might crash it.

They have the jerseys on that site for every roster player, even those who were scratches, or injured. They even have a Darren Helm available. I believe the players changed jerseys each period, giving the league a few sets to work with, as well as a set for the Red Wings to sell, which they did yesterday....and they sold out very quickly I might add, not surprising.

I can't see the value on the McCarty unworn jersey being that high, but if you're a die hard D-Mac fan, it's a pretty good souvenir I suppose.

I noticed they were also selling the game pucks, practice pucks, and each of the pucks used to score each goal in the game....nice touch.

They have the jerseys on that site for every roster player, even those who were scratches, or injured. They even have a Darren Helm available. I believe the players changed jerseys each period, giving the league a few sets to work with, as well as a set for the Red Wings to sell, which they did yesterday....and they sold out very quickly I might add, not surprising.

I can't see the value on the McCarty unworn jersey being that high, but if you're a die hard D-Mac fan, it's a pretty good souvenir I suppose.

I noticed they were also selling the game pucks, practice pucks, and each of the pucks used to score each goal in the game....nice touch.

well that answers lebdas question about where the puck he scored with went.

well that answers lebdas question about where the puck he scored with went.

yah isn't that terrible? Players score a meaningful goal that they'll remember for years and they can't even have it. Granted its for charity but if the player wants it, he should be able to have it.

The link for the auction is here: http://auction.nhl.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/...7464&type=A

I'm familiar with the Meigray guys and have met them at a Game Worn jersey show.

Before the game Meigray was given all of the jerseys prepared for the game. They sew unique serial number patches into the hems of all of the jerseys they authenicate. Here's the one in McCarty's jersey:

img7526217.jpg

When they do so they have no idea of which players will actually dress for the game, so all of them are prepped by Meigray. Each year Meigray publishes a "Population Report" listing all of the jersey serial numbers they've sown in jerseys for that season. The Wings just sold off all of the Set #1 jerseys at fixed prices (a lot lower than the auctioned one will go for) through HTA this week. Some of the prices were:

Osgood/bench worn $600

Conklin $1,800

Holmstrom $750

Rafalski $750

Datsyuk $2,000

Draper $1500

Kronwall $600

Maltby $650

The Wings sold the 1st Period jerseys, the NHL is auctioning off the 2nd Period jerseys, and the players probably got to keep the 3rd Period jerseys.

Edited by Gizmo