• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Secret

Osgood vs. Conklin

Rate this topic

With Osgood healed and ready to play and Conklin on a nice roll right now how would you play the goalie cards? I would like to see Conklin continue to get the majority of the starts and let Osgood work at earning the spot back.... if he can. 4 Shutouts for Conks, not to shabby!

With Osgood healed and ready to play and Conklin on a nice roll right now how would you play the goalie cards? I would like to see Conklin continue to get the majority of the starts and let Osgood work at earning the spot back.... if he can. 4 Shutouts for Conks, not to shabby!

I think that would be best, give Osgood the drive he needs by making him compete for the starter spot, but i have a feeling that Babcock will go back to Ozie sooner rather than later, if to just try to get him playing the way he was playing last April and June, even if Conks is the hotter goalie

I think that would be best, give Osgood the drive he needs by making him compete for the starter spot, but i have a feeling that Babcock will go back to Ozie sooner rather than later, if to just try to get him playing the way he was playing last April and June, even if Conks is the hotter goalie

I have never liked Ozzie as a #1 but he was a fantastic in tandem with Hasek and I would like to see that sort of chemistry and competition between him and Conks. No need for anyone to turn this into a "goalie war", but this is lgw and well.... it happens.

Edited by The Secret

I have never liked Ozzie as a #1 but he was a fantastic in tandem with Hasek and I would like to see that sort of chemistry and competition between him and Conks. No need for anyone to turn this into a "goalie war", but this is lgw and well.... it happens.

Yeah, i always like the way we had 2 competent goalies who had playoff experience. This year, I hope Babcock goes with whos hot for the playoffs, and not who the intended starter for the year was

The way Coach Babcock handled the starting goalies last season worked out just fine. I'm sure he'll handle it just as well this season. And, as of right now, he has more to work with than most clubs and he hasn't had to worry about a long-term injury to either Osgood or Conklin (Note: listed by seniority).

Guest dekeyuk
Yeah, i always like the way we had 2 competent goalies who had playoff experience. This year, I hope Babcock goes with whos hot for the playoffs, and not who the intended starter for the year was

Why not? It sure worked out great that way last year! :-)

I trust both goalies, I'm fine with a rotation style like they did last year. This team is making the playoffs regardless unless the players regress in age for whatever reason so everything before March/April is just groundwork assuming the team doesn't snag. Just try to play your best goaltending by March/April to the playoffs.

Give both goalies an equal number of games played (Conklin 20, Osgood 19 so far i think?) So with Ozzie starting tomorrow, we'll be even. From there you just gotta rotate, if one of them gets a shutout, let them ride the streak until they're done. Only exception is on back-to-back games, where you auto-rotate.

Somehow gotta work it so they're not tightening up like Tokarski @ the WJC. :unsure:

We've got two capable goalies, it could work in our favour again.

I think that's the key point. Hasek, at least at some level, drove Ozzie to play his best last season. Ozzie plays his best when he's earning his starts.

That's the only fair and reasonable way to go. Conks has been on fire, and you go with the hot goalie. Ozzie, I think, is back to his 2007-2008 form, but he still should have to fight for his spot. It'll only make him better, and I've never heard of any issues between Conk and Ozzy, they're both familiar with rotation.

I'm getting excited again, now that the Wings are playing like they should have been all along. With two great goalies back in form, it should be a hell of a run.

I think that's the key point. Hasek, at least at some level, drove Ozzie to play his best last season. Ozzie plays his best when he's earning his starts.

or is Conklin playing his best this year when he is earning his starts?

It seems like Osgood only shines when he's truly in competition for the top spot. All his best tenures throughout his history with the Wings were when he was playing backup, then when he gets the number one spot, its like he takes his foot of the gas and ends up not playing as well. Lets let him and Conks battle it out. Best goalie plays, simple as that.

It seems like Osgood only shines when he's truly in competition for the top spot. All his best tenures throughout his history with the Wings were when he was playing backup, then when he gets the number one spot, its like he takes his foot of the gas and ends up not playing as well. Lets let him and Conks battle it out. Best goalie plays, simple as that.

Yeah that 1995-96 season where Osgood was second in Vezina voting and 22nd in Hart voting as the #1....just terrible.

2 goalie system in the D has worked for more than a few years and I enjoy it. Why put so much emphasis or pressure on 1 during the regular season. It will be interesting to see how many Kipper or Nabokov play and how they fair down the stretch.