• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:31 PM

Making a vague (though crude) sexual innuendo reference towards someone's girlfriend: 6 games, anger management, and no icetime.

Biting someone's thumb so hard their glove comes off: 2 games.

If the NHL's method to determining suspensions could be represented in a mathematical formula, I wonder if seeing it would instantly turn someone into a raving, suicidal lunatic.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#2 Chunkylover

Chunkylover

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (Datsyerberger @ January 8, 2009 - 01:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Making a vague (though crude) sexual innuendo reference towards someone's girlfriend: 6 games, anger management, and no icetime.

Biting someone's thumb so hard their glove comes off: 2 games.

If the NHL's method to determining suspensions could be represented in a mathematical formula, I wonder if seeing it would instantly turn someone into a raving, suicidal lunatic.

They could have taken the players record and the extent of damage into account. If he just bit his glove then there is not real lasting damage, plus this is Ruutu's first suspendible offense. Avery has been a clown since he left Detroit and hasn't shied away from lampooning the league to the media. It does seem silly reading it the way you've written it, I think with all things considered it is fair.

#3 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (Chunkylover @ January 8, 2009 - 12:44PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They could have taken the players record and the extent of damage into account. If he just bit his glove then there is not real lasting damage, plus this is Ruutu's first suspendible offense. Avery has been a clown since he left Detroit and hasn't shied away from lampooning the league to the media. It does seem silly reading it the way you've written it, I think with all things considered it is fair.

In that case, Ruutu should receive equal punishment to others who have done the same thing. In Marc Savard's case, 1 game and $11,111.11 or some goofy number like that. Ruutu was clearly getting a little extra off of his reputation.

Furthermore, I don't think reputation should play much into punishment. Only the severity of the act. Furthermore, I believe Peters should be suspended as well, for reasons stated in the thread regarding that incident. This is more of a thread to express disgust in the NHL's horribly inconsistent suspension record
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

#4 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

Wasn't Ruutu suspended for stomping someone's leg with his skate? Or was he the stompee?

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#5 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (esteef @ January 8, 2009 - 07:05PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wasn't Ruutu suspended for stomping someone's leg with his skate? Or was he the stompee?

esteef

I believe Stompee, that was the Simon incident.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#6 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,711 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Chunkylover @ January 8, 2009 - 12:44PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ruutu has had enough cheap incidents in his career for which he should have been suspended.

I don't think that players hate him just because of his annoying face. I'm sure they have a reason from the way he plays.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#7 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Opie @ January 8, 2009 - 02:11PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe Stompee, that was the Simon incident.

Oh yeah, the Simon incident, wait, which one? laugh.gif

esteef

#8 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ January 8, 2009 - 02:14PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ruutu has had enough cheap incidents in his career for which he should have been suspended.

I don't think that players hate him just because of his annoying face. I'm sure they have a reason from the way he plays.

Just like Bill Clement said on NHL Home Ice yesterday... Ruutu goes out there trying to hurt people. He has a history of it.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#9 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (Datsyerberger @ January 8, 2009 - 01:54PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Furthermore, I don't think reputation should play much into punishment. Only the severity of the act.

Why not? Having a reputation means you're a repeat offender. Repeat offenders absolutely should be punished more heavily than first-timers.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#10 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:30 AM

Ahhh man. I was hoping you'd introduce me to a sweet new hockey league featuring Carrot Top as a power forward sad.gif
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#11 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (Drake_Marcus @ January 9, 2009 - 10:30AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahhh man. I was hoping you'd introduce me to a sweet new hockey league featuring Carrot Top as a power forward sad.gif

Have you seen how ripped he is? How emberrassing would it be to get your ass beaten by Carrot Top? Worse than being on the receiving end of a Semin bongo riff?

Edited by egroen, 09 January 2009 - 11:04 AM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#12 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (esteef @ January 8, 2009 - 02:14PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yeah, the Simon incident, wait, which one? laugh.gif

esteef

Esteef, you just crack me up with your responses. Keep em up!! laugh.gif

#13 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (egroen @ January 9, 2009 - 10:04AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you seen how ripped he is? How emberrassing would it be to get your ass beaten by Carrot Top? Worse than being on the receiving end of a Semin bongo riff?

Oh yeah, he's a beast now. It's hilarious considering how much of a twig he used to be before tongue.gif
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#14 BeeRYCE

BeeRYCE

Where are the f'n twinkies?!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:54 PM

How else do you defend yourself from a goon like Andrew Peters?

#15 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (betterREDthandead @ January 9, 2009 - 08:12AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not? Having a reputation means you're a repeat offender. Repeat offenders absolutely should be punished more heavily than first-timers.

Reputation does not necessarily equal to repeat offender. Repeat offenders are more likely to have a reputation, but you can have a reputation without necessarily being a frequent offender. Furthermore, reputation in regards to repeat offenders should only be involved in some circumstances. Homer shouldn't be called for phantom GIs when a goalie trips him just because he has a rep. See where I'm going?

Not only that, but the league seems to have no scaling penalty system at all for cases of repeat offenders that deserve suspensions (dangerous plays, ref touching, etc). While I would agree that a lot of it has to be handled case by case to some extent, I don't like it being completely arbitrary as it is now.

Besides, if I'm not mistaken, it's Ruutu's first suspension. For that matter, Avery doesn't have a history of suspensions, either.

#16 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (BeeRYCE @ January 9, 2009 - 11:54AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How else do you defend yourself from a goon like Andrew Peters?

As to this, I don't necessarily disagree. I think Peters should have received a matching suspension. You shouldn't be jamming in of your body parts into anyone's orifices unwantedly on the ice (or off, for that matter). It looks to me like Peters kept them there for a good moment. I think a disgusting act as such deserves just as harsh a punishment. I'd bite the f*****, too, if he wouldn't take them out.

#17 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:56 PM

Damn, I thought smoeone had actually made a Laugh Out Loud hockey league dry.gif

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#18 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (uk_redwing @ January 9, 2009 - 03:56PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damn, I thought smoeone had actually made a Laugh Out Loud hockey league dry.gif

Yeah, the Islanders and Thrashers play each other 82 times a year.

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#19 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (Hockeytown Red Wings @ January 9, 2009 - 03:58PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, the Islanders and Thrashers play each other 82 times a year.

laugh.gif At least they'll both make the playoffs!

beerchug.gif
esteef

#20 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:28 PM

We can add Grabovski to the list now too...

Please Mr. Linesmen, let the players fight!