• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
going_top_shelf

Tavares and the Wings

Rate this topic

For some reason I do not think Tavares is a right guy for our team. Same with Stamkos. They are somewhat different compared to what this team is built around (Dats, Zata). And I have nothings against canadian players. For example, I would be really happy if we could land Johnny Towes...

Yeah but you know, for some reason I really think the whole European player team is the best for Mo-Town. Common, who seriously needs Canadian players (no offense, I like them as much as the next guy) when we have Homer that can play as good as them? We have the Euro-Twins locked up for a few years, let's just built the team around them and not look for someone to replace them.

Not gonna get started on this, but it'd be better to have a mix. Dont forget how much fans loved our Canadians during the 90's and early 2000's, yes they loved the Russian 5 too, but not quite as much. That's what I loved anyways, the nice mix.

As for Tavares, just trade Hossa's rights and our 1st pick for him :P (If we cant get Hossa signed)

I think the whole North American/European debate is dumb. If twenty-one Japanese players can come in here, play well, and deliver a Cup or two, sign them up. I do agree with #1 Fan in that it is best when we have a solid balance of North Americans and Europeans, but meh. It's no big deal. What really annoys me is the whole "Europeans can't be gritty" bias. Case in point, Niklas Kronwall in 2008 playoffs.

Though, if you really need a North American fix, wait a year or two. You'll be subject to two hard working, young, and exciting North Americans in Darren Helm and Justin Abdelkader. :)

I think the whole North American/European debate is dumb. If twenty-one Japanese players can come in here, play well, and deliver a Cup or two, sign them up. I do agree with #1 Fan in that it is best when we have a solid balance of North Americans and Europeans, but meh. It's no big deal. What really annoys me is the whole "Europeans can't be gritty" bias. Case in point, Niklas Kronwall in 2008 playoffs.

Though, if you really need a North American fix, wait a year or two. You'll be subject to two hard working, young, and exciting North Americans in Darren Helm and Justin Abdelkader. :)

No offense, but I dont really consider Helm and Abdelkader to be exciting. They're exciting because they're new. They're exciting because they work hard and bring energy, but they're not Brendan Shanahan exciting. They're not Steve Yzerman exciting. They're not Brett Hull, Mike Richards, Sidney Crosby, John Tavares, Patrick Kane, Jeff Carter, Jarome Iginla exciting. While I have no bias against Europeans, D1F is right. For those from North America, European players aren't endeared to us as much simply because its a natural human reaction to feel closer to those you identify with. Don't get me wrong. Pavel Datsyuk, Hank Zetterberg, and AO are probably my 3 favorite players in the NHL, but if the Wings had an elite Canadian or American forward on this team, he'd be far and away the consensus favorite for North American fans. Mindfly and his Swedish bias is a testament to this and I don't blame him.

I love this Red Wings team, but I'm hungry for us to have draft, trade for, or sign a top notch North American forward. Its been too long. And I'm not saying I don't agree with you RWK. It has nothing to do with the ridiculous notion that North American players are more gritty than European players or whatever other silly stereotypes hockey fans come up with, its simply a case of there always being a cultural barrier between the fans and their superstars.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Guest mindfly

The problem is that wings wont be able to draft a top notch north american forward because they are always picked in the top20 and wings never finish that bad...if they are gonna sign a top notch north american forward he will demand the big salary, so then they basically they can trade for a top notch north american forward... and who on this team + draft picks and other things are you willing to give up for a top notch north american player? :P

Edited by mindfly

The problem is that wings wont be able to draft a top notch north american forward because they are always picked in the top20 and wings never finish that bad...if they are gonna sign a top notch north american forward he will demand the big salary, so then they basically they can trade for a top notch north american forward... and who on this team + draft picks and other things are you willing to give up for a top notch north american player? :P

I could not resist :)

We aren't able to draft ANY top notch forwards as we always pick at the nd of the round. All the A+ rated guys are gone. That's why we dig through the weeds in Europe, finding players who were looked over. But trust me, we'll take Canadian or American players who are looked over.