• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Wing

Shanahan joins Devils

Rate this topic

QFT. As someone said at the time, when he spent that last season playing as Datsyuk's wing, he had the quietest 40 goal season in NHL history. Thanks for the memories, but I wasn't sorry to see him go.

He's achieved everything possible in the game, by carrying on playing like this he's only tarnishing his reputation (a la Chelios).

Agree with the Shanny wasn't the same power forward when he left sentiment, but I don't think guys like Cheli are "tarnishing" their reputations. Older veteran players provide a ton of experience that doesn't necessarily translate to goals or ice time. They just have a different role on the team as they get older (and rightly so). You think Lebda, Lilja, Eriksson and others haven't benefitted from being in a rotation with guys like Cheli? Shanny provides that same type of leadership/mentoring capacity for younger less experienced forwards. And often times older players take less money so the expectation from their younger years should even out.

For example, Gordie Howe wasn't the same player at the twilight of his career either, is he somehow tarnished as well?

esteef

I"m glad that it appears that he is coming back to play. Like i have said before, i think that he still has some goals left in him and i think that he can be a good vetran in the locker room. He has seen almost all you can on the ice and i think that his experiences can be passed on to younger players and that it will help to motivate the young guys down the strech. I also give him a little bit of credit for not signing the first deal that came his way and thinking about his family. I don't think that you see to many pro athletes that think about moving to another team and uprooting his family. He knows he doesn't have to many years left in him and he signed with a team that would allow him and his family to stay in NY. I think that is pretty cool.

Can't wait to see him in action again and now i must consider getting a Shanny Devils jersey. I would love to find one that matches what they wore during his rookie season.

Shanny took advantage of the new rules and Datsyuk's emergence in 2006 and put up good numbers... But he was as much of a floater then as he is now. I'm sure his one-timer hasn't lost much, so he can just park himself at the top of the circles on the PP and will probably put up decent numbers (given that he'll be rusty and have only half the season to work with). I don't know the Devils situation from a hole in the ground, but Shanny's an alright guy and of course a wily vet so it's probably a good pick up.

Does anyone have any actual verified information that says Shanahan didn't like Babcock and the effort he required him to put out?

Because everything I read it was more that he just felt it was time to move on. He was right. It was time to turn the Wings over to new leadership and let this team forge a new identity.

It never ceases to amaze me how bitter some people are any time a player dares not to re-sign with the Wings.

Im happy to see him signed. Experience and leadership cant be measured by numbers .He should add to the devils power play if he gets time. TIme will tell if this signing will have much of an impact on the devils.

Shanahan was a great player for this team and that's not going to change. It suprises me the number of people who will come in here and hate on him considering there's no one on the current roster that contributes the same skill set he had.

A forward that could consistently put up 50+ points per season while hitting and fighting? Who needs that when we've got Samuelsson to defend us right?

Bitter doesn't begin to describe some of the posters around here.

I like Shanny, but I still think it's bull***t for players to be joining teams in the middle of a season.

He doesn't get any benefit of the doubt in my book.

It's not like he had a ton of suitors like Sundin or Forsberg. He wanted to stay with the Rangers. When Sather told him that didn't work out, he began looking for offers from other eastern teams.

I'm sure if he could've played a full season he would've.

Agree with the Shanny wasn't the same power forward when he left sentiment, but I don't think guys like Cheli are "tarnishing" their reputations. Older veteran players provide a ton of experience that doesn't necessarily translate to goals or ice time. They just have a different role on the team as they get older (and rightly so). You think Lebda, Lilja, Eriksson and others haven't benefitted from being in a rotation with guys like Cheli? Shanny provides that same type of leadership/mentoring capacity for younger less experienced forwards. And often times older players take less money so the expectation from their younger years should even out.

For example, Gordie Howe wasn't the same player at the twilight of his career either, is he somehow tarnished as well?

esteef

As long as you love the game and someone will pay you to do it, why not? It amazes me how fans feel like great players "owe" them a retirement in their prime and with the same team they started or are most closely identified with, otherwise their "legacy is tarnished." Make them rip the jersey off your back, it's not like it's a career you can get back into 10 years from now.

I liked Shanny even before he was a Wing, so count me among those who will be keeping an eye on Jersey and wishing him the best.

I like Shanny, but I still think it's bull***t for players to be joining teams in the middle of a season.

He doesn't get any benefit of the doubt in my book.

Shanny tried but after the Rangers f***ed him he had trouble getting signed somewhere. That's not his fault.

Sad to see Shanny bounce around so much on his way, great player and great guy. Sundin/Rangers really f***ed up things for Shanny this year. If it wasn't for Mats waffling and the Rangers leading Shanny along, he would have been signed in the offseason.

esteef

Agreed. This whole "tarnishing" crap is stupid. They're playing different roles. If Chelios were demanding massive contracts and playing time and was playing out of his league, then yes, that might be a different story.

But as of right now, Chelios comes back and the defense finally wakes up. Coincidence? Sometimes I wonder.

EDIT: Also, Shanny didn't pull a Niedermayer or Selanne. I've gotta defend Shanny here. He was loyal and waiting for the Rangers to make a move on him. They made him wait for nothing, and then Shanny was left stranded in the middle of nowhere. With the cap situation most teams didn't know what to do, but he was still scooped up once the Rangers stopped messing around with him. Unlike Niedermayer or Selanne, Shanahn wasn't tryign to pull anything. He just wanted to play but was giving his team the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by VM1138

esteef

Gordie Howe's stats at age 40 (Shannahan's age in a couple days).... 1968-1969 season with the Wings:

76 GP, 44 goals, 59 assists, 103 points. Definitely nothing "tarnishing" about those numbers at all, especially on a non-playoff bound team.

Edited by SFwingsfan

Does anyone have any actual verified information that says Shanahan didn't like Babcock and the effort he required him to put out?

Because everything I read it was more that he just felt it was time to move on. He was right. It was time to turn the Wings over to new leadership and let this team forge a new identity.

It never ceases to amaze me how bitter some people are any time a player dares not to re-sign with the Wings.

Exactly. A pretty amicable departure. I loved Shanny as a Wing - but Yzerman retired after the season that year, Fedorov had already left, Scotty was gone, etc etc. It was time for the Wings to move forward and for Shanny to finish the last years of his career somewhere else.

As for his current signing, I wish him well with the Devils. Although at this point, I think he should pretty much just hang it up and retire.....

Not respecting Shanny is like not respecting Yzerman in some ways. It just can't be done.

That said.. I do think he got incredibly arrogant after he left the Wings. But I don't understand how some people can bash him when they realize what an asset he was to our team.

Not respecting Shanny is like not respecting Yzerman in some ways. It just can't be done.

That said.. I do think he got incredibly arrogant after he left the Wings. But I don't understand how some people can bash him when they realize what an asset he was to our team.

He was a great player for our team.....my favorite.....I wish he had decided to stay and adapt to our team/coaching and won another cup or cups with us and retired here like StevieY.....I believe he truly just didn't think the Wings were gonna be cup contenders like they were and wanted to finish his career else where with the possiblity of another one.....boy was he wrong on that one :blink: but from his point of view he must have believed this strongly and with our early exits in the playoffs it looked bad for a few yrs.....well, he can sit back this yr and watch us win the cup again! :lol:

So weird seeing him back in a Devils jersey. Looks like he's taken #18 since Gionta's got #14.

Probably the first time I've ever been happy to see a Devils player score a goal. Good for Shanny.

Someone's going to buy a Devils jersey...

:lol: